• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins bird guide app (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Just downloaded the new app and I am very impressed so far. It is very user friendly with clear pics and easy to read Id descriptions.

To expand the pictures touch the picture and a new page opens up. There you can expand the pictures by pinching.

The app has call and song recordings. I have also bought the extras which are two video libraries plus the BTO breeding and winter range atlas for the UK and Ireland.

Still messing around with the app but it will be very useful out in the field plus its lighter;)

Top marks(so far):t:

Regards Gerard.

Gerard

have you figured out how to search for a bird by name? - there is what is described as a text search but it's defeating me!

John

Playing with the app a bit more. The search function is a bit confusing alright.
I could be wrong on this but i think the search function is not a short cut to a bird species in the app but is a search function where you put in the best description of a bird you seen eg bill shape, leg colour etc. and when your done it gives the species most resembling your description. Now I stand to be corrected on this.
I can't find a quick way to go to a specific species. Although it only takes a few seconds to get a bird you want.

Don't see the confusion when searching ie if your looking for say a robin, type in robin it will bring up on the main screen 5 options of species with robin in the title press European robin ( if that's what you were looking for) and it displays the plates etc for the robin, it takes seconds. Or am I missing something ?

the iPad version seems easier to use and the iPhone version desperately needs a pinch to zoom facility as much of the text and many illustrations are just too small on my iPhone 4. Hopefully that will come with a future update.

the iPad version seems easier to use and the iPhone version desperately needs a pinch to zoom facility as much of the text and many illustrations are just too small on my iPhone 4. Hopefully that will come with a future update.

As a temporary 'fix' there are some zoom options in the Accessibility settings of the Iphone.
Though for the premium price I'm surprised it isn't there already.

Peter

If you tap on the illustrations on the species page to take it to a 'photo' type page you can then pinch and zoom in.

Don't see the confusion when searching ie if your looking for say a robin, type in robin it will bring up on the main screen 5 options of species with robin in the title press European robin ( if that's what you were looking for) and it displays the plates etc for the robin, it takes seconds. Or am I missing something ?

Are you using the ipad or iphone app? Using the iphone app if I were to type in robin in the search box at the top of the screen,press done nothing happens.

Gerard.

Just realised that when I type in robin the sentence 'text search for robin' comes up underneath. When I tap this sentence then done the 5 robin options comes up.:t:
So it has two search functions, one- for eg a robin, and two-an unknown bird with description options when you tap the blank search box at the top of the screen.

App is getting better the more I find out.:t:

Regards Gerard.

Last edited:
I've entered birds onto the life list, but can't see any way to see the list itself, or even which individual birds are on it.

EDIT: For birds on the list - the tick is highlighted.

Last edited:
Just entered four birds into the life list. If I tap the empty search box different categories appear. My lists is at the top with life list as a sub category underneath. When I tap life list then done the birds I entered appear.

Gerard.

Been waiting for this for ages so was a bit miffed it's just for iOS. I would have thought since android has the largest market share now that they would have at least got a version coming. They must be missing out on a large portion of mobile income ignoring android.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back