• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Oriole Vilamoura Portugal (1 Viewer)

Firstly, Golden Orioles breed around Vilamoura and nearby, I would suggest the Parque Ambiental but I can't give specifics except head for stands of tall trees. Of course, keep an ear out for their beautiful song because anyway, that is nearly always the way they are seen as they are real hideaways. Tavira has them too, as Pratincol says. A nice alternative, if you will have a car, is to drive up north-east inland from Vilamoura to areas north of Loulé. I would especially recommend getting up to Barranco do Velho and taking a slow route stopping along the way to Cachopo and then even on to Martim Longo. Golden Orioles are common up there and even found in the villages. Stopping at bridges over streams and rivers is always a good idea too, as they love these inland habitats. A great advantage of discovering inland areas is a whole collection of other interesting breeding birds that are not on the coast in central and eastern Algarve - along the route I mentioned the following nice species can be found without too much difficulty; Short-toed and Bonelli's Eagles, Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin, Melodious, Subalpine and Dartford Warblers, Iberian Chiffchaff, Woodlark, Thekla's Lark, Rock Bunting to name some. If you get as far as nearly Martim Longo and explore the area - especially river valleys you could even find White-rumped Swift. Then, its only another short drive into the Alentejo and you will be in the realms of many more species - 5 Eagle species, Vultures, Bustards, BB Sandgrouse and many more - but that region deserves more time than a 2-3 hour visit - better 2-3 days.

Another great advantage of these inland areas, apart from being an easy short drive from Vilamoura. is that you will get to see some of the real Portugal, beautiful and vast Cork Oak habitats, charming villages with real Portuguese cafés and eateries - and get away from Golf courses and "Villa-land", which are of great environmental detriment to the Algarve's natural integrity. (excessive irrigation and excessive use of chemical sprays) and habitat removal. Of course, some of the golf courses provide some wetland type habitats (and also land-filled former wetlands!) with some nice birds too but after a couple of days, maybe the wilderness beckons ;)

Firstly, Golden Orioles breed around Vilamoura and nearby, I would suggest the Parque Ambiental but I can't give specifics except head for stands of tall trees. Of course, keep an ear out for their beautiful song because anyway, that is nearly always the way they are seen as they are real hideaways. Tavira has them too, as Pratincol says. A nice alternative, if you will have a car, is to drive up north-east inland from Vilamoura to areas north of Loulé. I would especially recommend getting up to Barranco do Velho and taking a slow route stopping along the way to Cachopo and then even on to Martim Longo. Golden Orioles are common up there and even found in the villages. Stopping at bridges over streams and rivers is always a good idea too, as they love these inland habitats. A great advantage of discovering inland areas is a whole collection of other interesting breeding birds that are not on the coast in central and eastern Algarve - along the route I mentioned the following nice species can be found without too much difficulty; Short-toed and Bonelli's Eagles, Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin, Melodious, Subalpine and Dartford Warblers, Iberian Chiffchaff, Woodlark, Thekla's Lark, Rock Bunting to name some. If you get as far as nearly Martim Longo and explore the area - especially river valleys you could even find White-rumped Swift. Then, its only another short drive into the Alentejo and you will be in the realms of many more species - 5 Eagle species, Vultures, Bustards, BB Sandgrouse and many more - but that region deserves more time than a 2-3 hour visit - better 2-3 days.

Another great advantage of these inland areas, apart from being an easy short drive from Vilamoura. is that you will get to see some of the real Portugal, beautiful and vast Cork Oak habitats, charming villages with real Portuguese cafés and eateries - and get away from Golf courses and "Villa-land", which are of great environmental detriment to the Algarve's natural integrity. (excessive irrigation and excessive use of chemical sprays) and habitat removal. Of course, some of the golf courses provide some wetland type habitats (and also land-filled former wetlands!) with some nice birds too but after a couple of days, maybe the wilderness beckons ;)

I really enjoyed those Cork Oak forests you mention. The Alentejo was also great. I didn't see a huge range of species as it wasn't a birding holiday but Red-necked Nightjar on a track in the hills behind São Brás de Alportel was the stand out highlight. That was over ten years ago. I really have to visit again. Sorry can't help with Golden Orioles but can only echo the advice to visit the areas north of the Algarve if possible.

Thanks all for that. Thank you Simon for the information. I saw my first Golden Oriole near Barranco do Velho today. Albeit from a distance but a least I've seen one! Thanks again.

John

Attachments

• LRM_EXPORT_524046193967826_20190517_172330017.jpeg
    LRM_EXPORT_524046193967826_20190517_172330017.jpeg
    881.5 KB · Views: 27
Yes a nice area. I agree you cant get close! Really gave me the run around! Will try Vilamoura reed beds tomorrow Equestrian end. Thanks Simon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back