• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Introduced birds in Europe (1 Viewer)

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
The thread on Spanish Waxbills got me to thinking about what non-native species have established populations in Europe. When I first got on to the internet there was a site which collated information on "Category C" populations in Europe. I can't seem to find this site now. I know about the following non native species breeding in Europe

Canada Goose (UK, Scandinavia, Ireland)
Mandarin Duck (UK)
Egyptian Goose (UK)
Ruddy Duck (UK)
Common Pheasant (Widespread)
Chukar (UK - never established)
Golden Pheasant (UK)
Lady Amherst's Pheasant (UK - on its way out)
Sacred Ibis (France)
Ring-necked Parrakeet (UK, Netherlands)
Monk Parrakeet (Spain)
Red-billed Leiothrix (France)
Common Waxbill (Spain, Portugal)
Black-rumped Waxbill (Spain)
Orange-cheeked Waxbill (Spain)
Red Avadavat (Spain).

I am referring to non European natives so Little Owls or Eagle Owls in the UK don't fall within the bounds of this thread. Does anyone out there know of any other populations of non European native birds breeding in Europe?

David

Italy has several others including: Bobwhite Quail (also Croatia), Ashy-throated (Paradoxornis alphonsianus) and Vinous-throated (Paradoxornis webbianus bulomachus) Parrotbill as well as Red Avadavant (like Spain). Pekin Robin - Red-billed Leiothrix (Leiothrix lutea) seems to becoming established at some sites in the south. Oh! and Chukar's a Euro-native.

david kelly said:
The thread on Spanish Waxbills got me to thinking about what non-native species have established populations in Europe. When I first got on to the internet there was a site which collated information on "Category C" populations in Europe. I can't seem to find this site now. I know about the following non native species breeding in Europe

Mandarin Duck (UK)
Egyptian Goose (UK)
Ruddy Duck (UK)
Golden Pheasant (UK)
Sacred Ibis (France)
Monk Parrakeet (Spain)
Red Avadavat (Spain).

I am referring to non European natives so Little Owls or Eagle Owls in the UK don't fall within the bounds of this thread. Does anyone out there know of any other populations of non European native birds breeding in Europe?

David

Last edited:
of top of my head:
Breeding parrotbills were also reported from Holland some years ago.
Erckel's (?) Francolin is said to be in Italy (Paul?),
Mandarin - Germany, Poland - this for sure and countable
Chilean Flamingo - Germany, maybe Carribean is established now also.
Spain has several weaverbirds and starlings in S tourist belt (dunno how countable).
Mynah - Russia

david kelly said:

Mandarin Duck (UK)
Egyptian Goose (UK)
Ruddy Duck (UK)
Golden Pheasant (UK)
Sacred Ibis (France)
Monk Parrakeet (Spain)
Red Avadavat (Spain).

David
Add that blue magpie from Portugal. I think that is an Asian species, isn't it?

Otto McDiesel said:
Add that blue magpie from Portugal. I think that is an Asian species, isn't it?

No, Azure-winged Magpie is a native European with fossil records pre-dating Vasco de Gama and his fellow explorers.

David

david kelly said:
No, Azure-winged Magpie is a native European with fossil records pre-dating Vasco de Gama and his fellow explorers.David

That's right David.

A fossil of an Azure-winged Magpie was discovered near Los Barrios and subsequent carbon dating tests showed the fossil to be over 40,000 years old.

More tests, including DNA followed and two species of A-w Magpies have now been split into Cyanopica cyanus, the Asian species and Cyanopica clarki, the Iberian species

jurek said:
of top of my head:
Breeding parrotbills were also reported from Holland some years ago.
Erckel's (?) Francolin is said to be in Italy (Paul?),
Mandarin - Germany, Poland - this for sure and countable
Chilean Flamingo - Germany, maybe Carribean is established now also.
Spain has several weaverbirds and starlings in S tourist belt (dunno how countable).
Mynah - Russia

Mandarin and Wood Duck are also breeding in Switzerland. Not sure whether they can already be called "established" though.

A friend on mine said Sacred Ibis is also breeding in Northern Italy.

Here in the Balearics we have a few populations of the common Myna (Acridotheres tristis). Also established in the Canaries from what I can gather

Black Swan - Netherlands
Bar-headed Goose - Sweden, prob. Netherlands
Snow Goose - Norway/Sweden?
Alexandrine Parrot - Cologne (Köln), Germany (but also noted in Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
House Crow (self-introduced) - Netherlands (Hoek van Holland)

Feral populations of non-European birds:
Musk Duck - Netherlands
Red Junglefowl - surely everywhere

Red-winged Laughingthrush on the Isle of Man ... the population is unknown but breeding has occured, monitoring could eventually lead to upgrade to cat C

In Greece:

Ring-necked Parakeets. theyr evrywere now.

Lovebirds:Some pairs for sure are around nowdays.(Prolly Peachfaced)

Red Avadavat:some small populations for sure.

ta brandreth said:
Just read original thread properly - please ignore last message, I am now red faced and hiding in a corner!!

Never mind, you can edit your own message and delete it!

Ruddy Shelduck in Switzerland and South Germany. Dozens of breeding pairs, hundreds of birds. I know that some birders in the UK don't want to hear it, but records of Ruddy Shelducks in the last years may origin from this feral population.
They get now reduced as they started to threat Barn Owls and Kestrels (throwing them out of their breeding places).

Greetings
André

By the way, Sebbe67, Nandus in Germany? Where?

wintibird said:
Ruddy Shelduck in Switzerland and South Germany. Dozens of breeding pairs, hundreds of birds.

Well, as a species they are European in my opinion (even if the introduced birds are not from European stock). So they don't really fill the bill here.

wintibird said:
Ruddy Shelduck in Switzerland and South Germany. Dozens of breeding pairs, hundreds of birds. I know that some birders in the UK don't want to hear it, but records of Ruddy Shelducks in the last years may origin from this feral population.
They get now reduced as they started to threat Barn Owls and Kestrels (throwing them out of their breeding places).

Greetings
André

By the way, Sebbe67, Nandus in Germany? Where?

Our breeding birds are definately wild.

wintibird said:
Ruddy Shelduck (...) they get now reduced as they started to threat Barn Owls and Kestrels (throwing them out of their breeding places).
While the 100% of the Swiss ornithologists state that "our" Ruddies are NOT wild birds.” “the Ruddies seen in Switzerland are ALL feral”, even there are not evidences at 100% that this is true, I don't agree at the 100% with this statement. The reason is that the species is a regular migrant in NE Italy coming from wild populations (there are not feral population in Italy) and heading most probably to a Swiss moulting site where both feral and wild birds gather. Unfortunately, the Swiss authorities have resolved to wipe out the species in the country - an ill-planned project if the Swiss population is not entirely feral in origin. Pictures and more info in my blog:
http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/birdingitalynet/
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back