• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nicaragua bird books (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

This is a partial copy of a post made on a Florida birding listserv (Birdbrain) today:

From there we departed towards my mother-in-law's home in Jinotega for a quick visit on our way to the northern mountains and the amazing El Jaguar Private Reserve. The owner of the reserve will be publishing the guide to the birds of Nicaragua in the coming months! In the meantime, a hot off the press book called Where to Watch Birds in Nicaragua was available for purchase at the lodge, which I did without hesitation! The birding at El Jaguar was absolutely amazing. Golden-hooded, Yellow-winged, Crimson-collared, and Passerini's Tanagers were highlights, as were Black and Buff-throated Saltator, Bat Falcon, Black Hawk Eagle, and Emerald-chinned Hummingbird.

I did a quick Google search but came up with nothing about any forthcoming books.
Really, I am not focusing on Nicaragua these days. But maybe fate is trying to tell me something!

Steve

Last edited:
I was trying to find one field guide for Nicaragua since I am from Cr and wanted to be familiarized with what our neighbor country had but no luck, the only one I found was Birds of Mexico and Central America by Ber Van Perlo, which in my opinion, its just ok to have an idea of what is in the area but not a guide I would rely on or would like to use in the field, illustrations are too small and arts are so so in my very own opinion. Again, for me it does the job just fine for reference only.

Johan,
I have read similar statements before concerning the van Perlo book for C Am

Regarding Mexico and some of the more southerly countries, the Howell and Webb book is better. I would suspect but not know for sure, that this book combined with what you have for CR will give you usable info for (almost?) all the birds in question. Then combine that with a reputable bird list for Nicaragua such as one from Avibase.

Niels

Bird Guidebooks

Just thought I'd offer my two cents worth. I love, love, love the Van Perlo book! It has ALL the birds of Mexico and Central America, and in back there are distribution maps, and an index not only in English but in Spanish, as well as an index with scientific names. Also, it is the ONLY guide with all of the above that is also small enough to carry around comfortably. For an experienced birder, the color plate details are quite sufficient. I also carry around the color plates from Stiles & Skutch, which I cut out of the center of the book, covered with clear contact paper and sewed with dentafloss.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back