• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

morelorum (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

If here is correct the key may need enhancement... R.I.P.

Marie-Yvonne Morel née Aimard (?1921? -2017)

Here about Gérard J. Morel. I haven't found his middle name yet. I assume here is not the same author. (or he made his Ph. D. very late).

Last edited:
Today's updated Key:
morelorum
Dr. Gérard Joseph Germain Morel (1925-2011) and his wife Dr. Marie-Yvonne Morel (?1921-2017) ...
But ... if her maiden name is unknown (and no longer included in the Key) and her birth year unknown, ... do we know, for sure, it was "our" Mme Marie-Yvonne Morel (the wife of Gérard), and not a namesake, who died in 2017? To me, the death notice of Gérard Morel tells us nothing more than she was still alive in February 2011.

Just a thought ...

More on Gérard Morel here, with a photo (end of page) of "Gérard and Marie-Yvonne Morel on the Normandy coast" (taken after his retirement in 1992).

In any case, I would assume Mme Morel was still alive in January 2016, when those pieces were published, as neither one mentioned her passing.

But ... if her maiden name is unknown (and no longer included in the Key) and her birth year unknown, ... do we know, for sure, it was "our" Mme Marie-Yvonne Morel (the wife of Gérard), and not a namesake, who died in 2017? To me, the death notice of Gérard Morel tells us nothing more than she was still alive in February 2011.

I agree (?1921-2017) should be removed from the key as there is no clear evidence that both are the same person.

Dr Marie-Yvonne Morel, Honorary Life Member of W.A.O.S. - Dr Marie-Yvonne Morel, Membre d'Honneur à Vie de la S.O.O.A.

Malimbus 35 (2013), pp.155-156

W.A.O.S. = West African Ornithological Society / S.O.O.A.= Société d'Ornithologie de l'Ouest Africain​

Thanks to the kindness of Peter Browne, former (interim) webmaster of W.A.O.S./S.O.O.A. (West African Ornithological Society/ Société d'Ornithologie de l'Ouest Africain), I have now received a copy of the Paper in Malimbus 35 (No.2) ... though it doesn't add anything new, regarding the Life span of Marie-Yvonne Morel.

He also informed me of their New webpage; here, where the sought-after Morel paper is accessible, in full; here or here. For some odd, unknown reason (maybe due to an insufficient Code?) this more recent webpage (malimbus.org) doesn't show up among the top results when googling, neither for W.A.O.S/S.O.O.A., nor Malimbus!? If I/we´d known about it, we would have been saved this long wait. Well, well, there it is ... and apparently has been, for a while.

However; Mr Browne, as well, kindly attached the Obituary of Mr Morel [In Memoriam: Gérard Morel, 1925–2011], published in The Auk 132, pp.522-524 (in 2015), written by himself – with the added, following note: "At that time Marie-Yvonne was still alive and living in Paris. Indeed, such was the case in 2016 but I have had no contact with her since and do not know if she is still living. Nor do I know her year of birth. ..."

The search for the years of Marie-Yvonne continues!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Mme Morel

Quick return ... as I had to return to this thread (and read it in full) again ...

Note that "Mme Gérard MOREL, née Marie-Yvonne AUBRAT" (i.e. the widow, in Gérard's Avis de décès, from 2011, as of post #2-3) has the same address [*] as "Morel, Dr M-Y", in Malimbus 34 (here, p.55), from March 2012, thereby her years (both?) in today's HBW Alive Key; "(?1921-2017)" does seem to originate from her namesake (the one; née Aimard), as of Martin's post #1 (retracted in #4), and onwards ... ;)

However, still nothing found regarding the birth, and/or likely/possibly death, for "our" Marie-Yvonne Morel. This far, I wouldn't dare to claim more than "fl.2016".

For what it's worth!

Björn

___________________________________________________________________________________________
*Also the same Street address; here alt. here (but beware; it´s a large pdf, 14,4MB), published in the French Paper Quest-France, 17 February 2011.
--

Last edited:
Madame Marie-Yvonne Morel is still going strong.

This morning I received yet another e-mail from W.A.O.S./S.O.O.A., this time from their President, Jean Marc Thiollay, and he kindly informed me/us (in short): "She is still living ... ".

As it´s considered somewhat rude to ask a woman about her age I will not be the one asking her. And, I assume even more so in the case of a Frenchwoman. ;)

Thereby; case closed (at least on my part).

Björn

According here we know now that she died around or on 1 November 2020 R.I.P.

Madame Marie-Yvonne MOREL
Docteur ès sciences
Ornithologue

survenu à Garches, le 1er novembre 2020, dans sa 98e année.

So born around 1922.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Grey-headed Bristlebill ssp. Bleda canicapillus morelorum Érard, 1992 NRM
Dr. Gérard J. Morel (1925-2011) and his wife Dr. Marie-Yvonne Morel were French ornithologists resident in Senegal (1953-1992). He worked at the ORSTOM Ornithological Station at Richard-Toll, Senegal (retired 1992) and made in-depth studies of the avifauna of the Sahel, extended later to the whole Senegambia region , and the ecology and dynamics of grain-eating passerines, particularly the Red-billed Quelea Quelea quelea and the Sudan Golden Sparrow Passer luteus. He was co-founder (1979) and President (1994-2011) of the West African Ornithological Society. The co-wrote together and separately, including Les Oiseaux de Senegambia (1990) and Birds of West Africa (1999).

Marie Yvonne Antoinette AUBRAT (épouse MOREL)
b. Montreuil, Seine-Saint-Denis, Île-de-France, 10 Feb 1923; d. Garches, Hauts-de-Seine, Île-de-France, 1 Nov 2020.

Gérard Joseph Germain MOREL
b. Amiens, Somme, Hauts-de-France, 11 Jun 1925; d. Paris 5e Arrondissement, Île-de-France, 15 Feb 2011.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back