• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor 8x42 vs Zeiss Conquest 8x42 (1 Viewer)

giosblue

Ok, I've read so many post on the internet regarding the Vortex vs the Zeiss I decided to buy a Conquest and do the comparison myself.

Just ordered a pair from Wex, exactly the same price as the Vortex, £680.

Apparently, to some people the Conquests "blow the Razors away". Night and day. It's no brainer.

So next week I will making a choice, Vortex Razor or Zeiss Conquest.

Ron

Hi again Ron.

If it's of any interest to you, I did a direct comparison between these when I had my second pair of Razors at the start of this year and still owned the Conquests, which I recently sold (both 8x42). Both were very good, but the Conquests had the edge - they exhibited less flare than the Razors, and despite almost identical fields of view and eye relief, they had a more immersive view.

Enjoy testing !

Mark

I have used the Conquest 10x42 for several years. It is a quality binocular and is very bright
with great optics.

If you read the thread below about Birdfair 2018, Lee has reported on the new made in China
Vortex binoculars. The Razor used to be made in Japan, but no more, that is too bad.

Jerry

I have used the Conquest 10x42 for several years. It is a quality binocular and is very bright
with great optics.

If you read the thread below about Birdfair 2018, Lee has reported on the new made in China
Vortex binoculars. The Razor used to be made in Japan, but no more, that is too bad.

Jerry

A few years ago I would not have bought any binocular made in China. Because a few years ago, nearly everything that's came out of of China was crap. However, I work in retail and we sell goods made in China and to be honest, I think they are getting their act together.
These Vortex binoculars are not some cheap fake that looks like the real thing. They are the real thing, made by Vortex. Obviously I can't give a long term report and I can only comment on my sample, which I have to say are brilliant. Until I see something better, I can't fault them. When I first got them I wanted them to be made in Japan. now I'm not really bothered where they are made. I will be making close comparisons with the Zeiss when they arrive on Wednesday.

Ron

Not sure why people in US have such a downer on China? In UK when Japanese products and cars were first sold people called them 'Jap Crap' (not PC these days!). Within 10 years Japanese products were the premium brands and killed a lot of our industry. The Chinese are moving that way even faster than Japan did. Within as little as 5 years you may find they will be leading the world in many fields.

The Japanese have been making binoculars for 101 years. Last year was Nikon's 100th year anniversary. Many other companies followed them and have decades of experience and some are making binoculars under contract for American and European companies right now.

China isn't going to pass Japan in the optical business for a while yet.

Bob

Last edited:
Not sure why people in US have such a downer on China? In UK when Japanese products and cars were first sold people called them 'Jap Crap' (not PC these days!). Within 10 years Japanese products were the premium brands and killed a lot of our industry. The Chinese are moving that way even faster than Japan did. Within as little as 5 years you may find they will be leading the world in many fields.

There is a lot of evidence of poor quality control of binoculars made in
China on this site.

Spend a little time here and you will find that out. Optics are good, but
fit and finish, can be suspect, long term focuser issues, etc.

In my experience some makers do a better job in China, and one is
Nikon, I have several models made in China, and large companies like Nikon have more direct control of quality than some others.

One company that was a darling for a while was Zenray, quality control
and out of control expense of warranty issues helped with its demise.

Jerry

These Vortex binoculars are not some cheap fake that looks like the real thing. They are the real thing, made by Vortex.

Ron

Ron

This is not necessarily an important point but these binos are not made by Vortex, they are made for Vortex. We have two pairs of Zeiss Terras made in China and they are holding up well after a couple of years of being used and occasionally abused. Made in China doesn't automatically mean rubbish just as made in Europe doesn't automatically mean perfection.

Lee

There is a lot of evidence of poor quality control of binoculars made in
China on this site.

Spend a little time here and you will find that out. Optics are good, but
fit and finish, can be suspect, long term focuser issues, etc.

In my experience some makers do a better job in China, and one is
Nikon, I have several models made in China, and large companies like Nikon have more direct control of quality than some others.

One company that was a darling for a while was Zenray, quality control
and out of control expense of warranty issues helped with its demise.

Jerry

Jerry,

Just bought some Vortex and so far build quality looks good but optics are not so good. We have 4 pairs of 15-20 year old Bushnell that cost a fraction of the price and there is no discernible difference in optics (indeed I would say that the Bushnells are superior in some ways, especially in poor light). Just checked the Bushnells' box and surprisingly they were made in China back in those days when they really were behind! That said, they are still performing well despite enormous usage. So, it's hard to tell.

Having tried a lot of binoculars at Birdfair I would say that until you get to the top end there isn't a lot of difference between all in terms of optical performance.

Ron

This is not necessarily an important point but these binos are not made by Vortex, they are made for Vortex. We have two pairs of Zeiss Terras made in China and they are holding up well after a couple of years of being used and occasionally abused. Made in China doesn't automatically mean rubbish just as made in Europe doesn't automatically mean perfection.

Lee

Hi, my understanding is that Vortex own a factory in China?

Jerry,

Just bought some Vortex and so far build quality looks good but optics are not so good. We have 4 pairs of 15-20 year old Bushnell that cost a fraction of the price and there is no discernible difference in optics (indeed I would say that the Bushnells are superior in some ways, especially in poor light). Just checked the Bushnells' box and surprisingly they were made in China back in those days when they really were behind! That said, they are still performing well despite enormous usage. So, it's hard to tell.

Having tried a lot of binoculars at Birdfair I would say that until you get to the top end there isn't a lot of difference between all in terms of optical performance.

Not sure why you say the Vortex optics are not so good. The 8x42 Razors I have are superb.

I would agree with that, the Bausch and Lomb Elite I just sold were really good, wish I had kept them now. and the were nearly 30 years old.

Last edited:
Ok, I decided to keep the Razors, the Conquest have been returned.

Reasons.

The eyecups were a bit too short for my eyes on the Conquest. I could get them to work, but they weren't quite right.

The ergonomics of the Razor were much better for me, they are a joy to use.

The view with the Razors was clearer to my eyes, the Conquest had a yellowish cast that did give the view a little more punch, but I felt the Razors gave a more natural view, if a little on the cool side.

End of the day, to me the Razors gave a clearer view. Having said that I would be happy with either.
They were both the same price £680. I would have preferred something made in Japan or Germany, but these seem like a quality product. Last pair of bins I will buy and I reckon the cost of ownership over the time I will have them will be about £1 a week

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back