• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guides-Sand Plovers-Bahrain (1 Viewer)

Howard King

Greater or Lesser that is the question - I have a good selecton of field guides that cover species seen here in Bahrain and know what I would identify these as. However I would be interested to here some comments from around the place;- one on how others find the quality of illustrations in their favourite guide when compared to birds seen in the field outside the normal "Winter or Summer" plumage and two what they think the species are.

Attachments

• sandplover.jpg
    sandplover.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 125
  • sandplover1.jpg
    sandplover1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 112
  • sandplover2.jpg
    sandplover2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 112
  • sandplover3.jpg
    sandplover3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 129
  • sandplover4.jpg
    sandplover4.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 118
bill proportions are by far the most important thing (away from areas where mongolus Lesser occurs anyway) and yours all look like Greaters. Lesser sandplovers in the gulf tend to be at the shortest/ stubbiest-billed end of the spectrum for the species and these are all long billed.

Rob

Agreed - these are quite clear-cut Greaters for me.

The shape and length of the nail on the upper mandible is a giveaway - it is long and slopes at an acute angle on Greater (as on your birds), but shorter and steeper on Lesser, giving the bill a stubbier look.

Greaters generally look more dumpy and less cute, less well-proportioned if you know what I mean.

Sean

Nearly right except the bird on the left in picture 1 and the bird facing picture 3 to the right are lesser

Both the subspecies columbinus and crassirostris of Greater occur while both mongolus and artifrons groups of Lesser occur

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back