• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Goshawk or Northern Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

akunsorn

These photos were took from Chiang Mai, The Northern part of Thailand on 29 Dec 2010. Could anybody let me know please, what is this species, Northern Goshawk (A. gentilis) or Northern Sparrowhawk (A. nisus)?

Attachments

• IMG_0421-Yai.jpg
    IMG_0421-Yai.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0432-.jpg
    IMG_0432-.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0427-.jpg
    IMG_0427-.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0424-.jpg
    IMG_0424-.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0422-.jpg
    IMG_0422-.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 260
These photos were took from Chiang Mai, The Northern part of Thailand on 29 Dec 2010. Could anybody let me know please, what is this species, Northern Goshawk (A. gentilis) or Northern Sparrowhawk (A. nisus)?

I think its a Goshawk based upon the hand being much narrower than the arm.

But I am sure someone will be able to give you a definative answer soon.

Regards

Mike

Hmm. Tail looks squarish and the bird doesn't seem broad enough across the hips for a Goshawk to me... but then I'm certainly no expert!

Looks more like a big adult female Sparrowhawk to me, although wing proportions and body bulk do somewhat resemble Gohawk. I just don't think it is deep enough in the belly or wide enough at the hips for Gos. Tail also very long and quite square-cut at corners. The barring on the body underneath mean it cannot be juvenile Gos but the bars on the secondaries are much too strong for typical adult Goshawk. So I'm leaning toward Sparrowhawk. But that's NOT definitive!

(ah, must type faster, another poster has just said the same, more succintly)

Northern Goshawk because the wings are very broad there is a bulge to the belly & I can make out a broad supercillium.

Steve.

more photos from the other camera.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Its a female s/hawk, the only bird I have studied all my life, from a boy in 1957, or there about's, if that means anything!

eye-stripe suggests gos; thailand, it is a long way off, it could be a different species altogether; also no scale, no way of saying how big it was.

I think you will find the s/hawk has a wide distribution, and this is well with in its range, as for species northern goshawk, northern sparrowhawk, Its just the full name given to the birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back