• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book for pelagic birds off Central America (1 Viewer)

SueO

Hi All,
My husband and I are going through the Panama Canal in January and will be sailing up the Pacific side of Central America and Mexico--can anyone recommend a book of pelegaic birds that might be seen from Panama to Southern California? We will be anywhere from 20 miles off shore to 150 miles off shore.
Thanks,
Sue

Sue, for the tubenoses, I'd recommend Howell 2012 (Petrels, Albatrosses & Storm-Petrels of North America: A Photographic Guide), which covers Panama northwards.

The NatGeo and Sibley North America guides should be adequate for pretty much everything else (although only NatGeo includes Great Frigatebird).

You will need the Howell and Webb book on Mexican birds anyway, and there are some good text in there as well (just remember that the book is old -- I am not sure if there have been any taxonomic changes in this particular group).

Niels

Sue, for the tubenoses, I'd recommend Howell 2012 (Petrels, Albatrosses & Storm-Petrels of North America: A Photographic Guide), which covers Panama northwards.

The NatGeo and Sibley North America guides should be adequate for pretty much everything else (although only NatGeo includes Great Frigatebird).
Thanks, Richard. I am home in Southern Cal for a visit, so I can get this mailed without a problem. I have the Sibley's and NatGeo on board already. I'm kicking myself for not paying attention to the pelagics for too much of this trip ( but not enough to go around the globe again;)). I didn't even know they were called 'tubenoses'; had to google that. It is an appropriate name--when we were anchored for a night off Corsica we got to hear what I figured must be Cory's--weird and eerie calls that could only be made by something called a tubenose.
Sue

You will need the Howell and Webb book on Mexican birds anyway, and there are some good text in there as well (just remember that the book is old -- I am not sure if there have been any taxonomic changes in this particular group).

Niels

Hi Niels,
Yes, I remember you telling me about the Mexico book. I will order both books; just in case we spend some time in Mexico. My husband and I are not in agreement as to how we're going to get home. I want to go off-shore and get home asap--going in only for fuel if needed. Gene wants to do as many day hops as possible. We will have to compromise and maybe we will stop less often, but stay a few days at each anchorage, which would give me some birding opportunities.
Thanks, once again, for your help, Niels.
Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back