Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Black-eared Wheatear in Cumbria - Breaking news from RBA (2.31pm 1 Jun)

Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 14:38   #1
Rare Bird Alert

RBA Icon Black-eared Wheatear in Cumbria - Breaking news from RBA (2.31pm 1 Jun)

Breaking news from Rare Bird Alert: Black-eared Wheatear in Cumbria.

BBRC and IRBC stats from RBA's Previous Records Online:

There are 59 accepted records of Black-eared Wheatear in Britain and 5 in Ireland.
There have been no published records for Cumbria yet

RBA's Previous Records (new) has all the records and a wealth of stats and analysis for this and other rarities recorded in Britain and Ireland

Click for full details of this sighting and the rest of today's birdnews on the RBA website

---

Click here to see the location on the Free Rare Bird Map

Click here for information about Black-eared Wheatear in the Opus. (Please feel free to contribute to this page)
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 14:48   #2
Runcorn Birder

Hope this proves to be a good sighting and it sticks. Still need this as there haven't been too many two or more day mainland birds for some time.
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 14:59   #3
Paul Chapman

I started fixating about White-crowned Black Wheatear last night when flicking through Vinnicombe & Cottridge after a text from a friend on Saturday predicting something this week. I caught the pager message out of the corner of my eye and briefly panicked........

Cumbria - Black-eared Wheatear reported y'day 2.5mls NNE of Silecroft at Black Combe just below summit. Park NW of A595 at Kirkbank + follow north for 2mls SD135854 LA18 SLS

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 15:09   #4
Runcorn Birder

May yet prove to be one....Black Combe will sort the Wheat(ear) from the chaff at a 600m climb to the summit.
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 19:47   #5
Farnboro John

Don't forget your OS map, compass, Wainwright and Kendal Mint Cake!

John
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 19:50   #6
lewis20126

Did anyone go to look? - I mean there must be some keen Cumbrian county lister hiking up on this news surely?

cheers, a
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 19:53   #7
Runcorn Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
Did anyone go to look? - I mean there must be some keen Cumbrian county lister hiking up on this news surely?

cheers, a
Think there may be an answer in an hour or two. See the message, travel to a remote location where there may not be a mobile signal, climb the hill, find/see the bird, back down again, travel home. A good few hours in that lot.
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 21:06   #8
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runcorn Birder View Post
..., travel to a remote location where there may not be a mobile signal, climb the hill, find/see the bird, ....
Mountain tops are usually good for mobile signals - it's the valleys which are hidden from the transmitters where the problems are.
Old Friday 2nd June 2017, 16:56   #9
Gronk08

Rather gutted as I stayed in Silecroft last year for my hols so its a year late , great area to visit for those who make the journey.

Tim.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: