• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Cliffe Pools (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi All,

I am thinking of going to Cliffe Pools tomorrow - mainly for birds, but I have heard that it's a good place for dragonflies, with all 4 species of Emerald damselflies being seen.

It's many a year since I've been there, but seem to recall it as a pretty big place, so was interested in any specific site knowledge/hints and tips etc about best place to look for the various damselflies...

I did hear about there being a specific area for Scarce Emerald (but don't know where it might be!) and also that Southern Migrant Hawker has been seen too, so any insider gen would be much appreciated...

Thanks.... Ray

this thread has the cliffe (and other Kent) gen from 2014 http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=286776&highlight=cliffe

keen to hear how you got on, as don't know if Southern Emerald Damselfly has been seen there at all last couple of years??

Thanks Larry,

Unfortunately, it wasn't very good conditions for dragonflies - it was pretty warm, but mainly overcast and quite a strong wind.

In the event, I saw very little - several Common and Ruddy Darters, a single Emperor and highlight being my first Migrant Hawkers of the year - like many other species, quite early this year. Couldn't find any Emeralds at all!

Rgds... Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back