• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

After a pleasant and informative chat with Woodchat last night, my missus and me headed back up the towpath towards Salwarpe church and spotted the pale crow in the distance in a sse direction across the fields to the tree line. So managed a record shot for Birder Gladys
Nicely spotted and photoed if I remember correctly its a lot paler when flying,hopefully I will catch up with it soon.

Nicely spotted and photoed if I remember correctly its a lot paler when flying,hopefully I will catch up with it soon.

I saw 2 partial leucistic / albino Crows on a quick circular walk this morning - both together in the horse paddocks along Chawson Lane.

These birds have been around for some time - there are at least 4 funny-looking pale corvids in the general area of Salwarpe.

Amongst other things, a Holly Blue Butterfly this morning.

just an hour stroll tonight,within a space of half hour I had sparrowhawk,kesteral,buzzard and hobby.on the way back had a crow with white wings but it wasn't the light brown one just one that had lost it black pigment as they do this time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_3617.JPG
    IMG_3617.JPG
    552.3 KB · Views: 29
A juvenile Common Redstart in a hedge between rape fields between Tapenhall and Chatley - the first of the autumn passage.

A Willow Warbler between Egg Lane and Jacob's Ladder also.

Singing Yellowhammer along there too.

A Tawny Owl flushed from one of the hedgerow trees next to Coney Meadow at about 7am this morning.

In the last few days I've seen a light brown C,Crow but still can't get close enough for a decent photo so only got some record photos, I think Dave could be correct in saying there's more one around.

Attachments

• IMG_3628 (2).JPG
    IMG_3628 (2).JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3631 (2).JPG
    IMG_3631 (2).JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3634 (2).JPG
    IMG_3634 (2).JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3635 (2).JPG
    IMG_3635 (2).JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3637 (2).JPG
    IMG_3637 (2).JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 34
In the last few days I've seen a light brown C,Crow but still can't get close enough for a decent photo so only got some record photos, I think Dave could be correct in saying there's more one around.

Hi Tim,

The light brown crows have been around for a couple of years - I've seen up to 4 together but there could be more - probably a faulty gene or something.

Further news from the weekend:

1 little Owl sunbathing on its favourite stump at Ladywood on Saturday morning.

2 Hobbies over Coney Meadow at dusk last night at dusk as the Swallows and sand martins (150+) were roosting.

Coney Meadow seems to be crawling with family parties of Sedge Warblers at the moment (whereas they seemed quite scarce a couple of weeks ago).

Plenty of Gatekeeper butterflies about and several Common Blue Damselflies.

27 Glow worms noted yesterday evening - 1 near Hopyard Wood, 8 on railway track and the rest between the allotments and Roman Way.

Hi Tim,

The light brown crows have been around for a couple of years - I've seen up to 4 together but there could be more - probably a faulty gene or something.

Further news from the weekend:

1 little Owl sunbathing on its favourite stump at Ladywood on Saturday morning.

2 Hobbies over Coney Meadow at dusk last night at dusk as the Swallows and sand martins (150+) were roosting.

Coney Meadow seems to be crawling with family parties of Sedge Warblers at the moment (whereas they seemed quite scarce a couple of weeks ago).

Plenty of Gatekeeper butterflies about and several Common Blue Damselflies.

27 Glow worms noted yesterday evening - 1 near Hopyard Wood, 8 on railway track and the rest between the allotments and Roman Way.
Alright Dave . Re sedge warblers. I noticed a couple of weeks ago a sudden increase in sedge warbler song and feeding of young at upton. I wonder if they are fresh in moved in from somewhere else or on 2nd broods. It seems to happen every year at same time. What's your thoughts. Could also be just passing through. They reputedly move south stopping off in reed beds en route:t: see you soon mate

Alright Dave . Re sedge warblers. I noticed a couple of weeks ago a sudden increase in sedge warbler song and feeding of young at upton. I wonder if they are fresh in moved in from somewhere else or on 2nd broods. It seems to happen every year at same time. What's your thoughts. Could also be just passing through. They reputedly move south stopping off in reed beds en route:t: see you soon mate

Hi John,

Do you know what time of year they go through their moult? - they were all over the place in the spring, then a few weeks ago they were hard to find now they're common again. Like you, I think this happens every year, seen a few obvious juvs and family parties so probably locally-bred birds, I guess.

BTW - Might pop down Upton some time over the weekend.:t:

A fairly quiet weekend on the patch - the only sign of fresh movement was a couple of Willow Warblers around Coney Meadow.

A Peregrine yesterday over Middleton Bank.

Grey Wagtails, Kingfisher, Goldcrest, Treecreepers, Sedges, Reeds and Whitethroats noted amongst others.

Still plenty of swifts around and 200+ hirundines roosted in the reedbed yesterday evening.

Insects included a Common Blue butterfly and 22 Glow Worms yesterday evening (5 on railway track and the rest along the Roman Way / allotments area.

Hi John,

Do you know what time of year they go through their moult? - they were all over the place in the spring, then a few weeks ago they were hard to find now they're common again. Like you, I think this happens every year, seen a few obvious juvs and family parties so probably locally-bred birds, I guess.

BTW - Might pop down Upton some time over the weekend.:t:

Not sure kid I will research it. Funny enough when we twitched the great knot at Titchwell a few weeks back (best forgotten 8-P) there were sedge warbler singing all the way down the path to the beach. Paul Eele the warden there said they were probably on 2nd broods.

Not sure kid I will research it. Funny enough when we twitched the great knot at Titchwell a few weeks back (best forgotten 8-P) there were sedge warbler singing all the way down the path to the beach. Paul Eele the warden there said they were probably on 2nd broods.

Hi John,

I did a little reading which suggested that, unlike many other migratory passerines, Sedge Warblers are amongst those in which the moult takes place after they have migrated back to Africa. This might go some way to explaining why they are still very conspicuous whilst other species are 'keeping their heads low' at the moment. :t:

An excellent morning on the patch with a nice sprinkling of early return-migrants:

1 Garden Warbler in hedge along the bridleway between 'Honey Hill House' and 'Abberley View' near Tapenhall.

2 Common Redstarts - 1 between Chatley and Tapenhall and another near Mildenham.

At least half a dozen Willow Warblers (some singing) - including lovely yellow juveniles.

8 (eclipse) Mandarin Ducks near the pond between Chatley and Hawford. 2 flew over Mildenham later - probably from the same flock.

1 Little Grebe and a family of Coots on the same pond.

1 of the Sedge Warblers in Coney Meadow had a BTO ring - several juvs with it. Willow Warbler here also.

Also seen: Coal Tits, Reed Warblers, Goldcrests, flocks of House Martins and Swallows, Yellowhammers, Chiffchaffs, Common Whitethroats, Buzzards, Sparrowhawks and Kestrels, Grey Wagtails, Goldfinches, Mute Swan, 7 Canada Geese, juv Robin, Bullfinches.

Insects included lots of Brown Hawkers, Common Blue, Holly Blue, Southern Hawker, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, Speckled Woods and Red Admirals.

Hi Dave we came down the other week to try and find the gloworms is it poss to give us more detailed directions as we dont know the area all that well we always park outside the church and walk through and down on to tow path and we got as far as just the other side of road bridge but we stopped there?
Thanks Dek

Hi Dave we came down the other week to try and find the gloworms is it poss to give us more detailed directions as we dont know the area all that well we always park outside the church and walk through and down on to tow path and we got as far as just the other side of road bridge but we stopped there?
Thanks Dek

Hi Dek,

My best advice would be to park in the layby along the Roman Way by the railway bridge and simply look along the grass verges by the crash barrier on the droitwich woods side of tge road. This is the best area at the moment. Also scan with binoculars from the bridge along the railway track.

4 Mandarins between Chatley and Hawford this morning. Singing Yellowhammers and a flock of 7 Linnets nearby.

Great views of a Hobby this evening perched on wires at Coney.

About 150 Swallows and a few Sand Martins roosted.

2 Ravens over Coney.

Only 2 Swifts seen today.

12 Glow worms this evening - 3 along the railway, 1 adjacent to Hopyard Wood and the rest between the allotments and Roman Way (Droitwich bypass).

A Green Sandpiper flew over Coney and down the Salwarpe valley at 07:45 this morning - a pretty early autumn record for the patch.

A record single count of 14 Ravens around Salwarpe.

Just 1 Mandarin near Chatley plus 1 Little Grebe and family party of Coots.

A family group of Reed Warblers in a hedge some distance from any reeds near Ladywood.

A Cormorant over New Mill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back