• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (43 Viewers)

Thanks for the info Nigel and Thomas - seriously appreciate you going to the trouble - as with the other answers.

Its what makes this forum so good.

Silly question but does the Wells car park take fivers or do you need a load of coin?

Thanks for the info Nigel and Thomas - seriously appreciate you going to the trouble - as with the other answers.

Silly question but does the Wells car park take fivers or do you need a load of coin?

I'm pretty sure it's coins only. Also credit/debit cards - although the other day I got stuck behind a gentleman who tried one card after another at L A Drive and, although the PIN was accepted, the payment was repeatedly declined.

Imagine if the perennial lurkers actually posted, we may even have a discussion.
What are people hoping for tomorrow?
Is it simply a case of more eyes in the field, or is north simply better than east due to geography?
Cheers,
Jim.

The big one always turns up late and after the fall, I mean what about that Redpoll I didn't ID/find haha

we should meet up for some funny/crypto stuff :t:
http://www.stumbras.eu/en/family/

I'm pretty sure it's coins only. Also credit/debit cards - although the other day I got stuck behind a gentleman who tried one card after another at L A Drive and, although the PIN was accepted, the payment was repeatedly declined.

Thanks Nigel, really helpful.

I better try to get there early to get a place.

Sundays are crazy for walkers!

Is it simply a case of more eyes in the field, or is north simply better than east due to geography?
Cheers,
Jim.

Jim, this might indicate why north has been better:
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=4.17,53.22,2048

Today the chart is showing some north-easterlies heading for the east coast. However, notice the north-north-easterlies coming in over the Wash. For much of the week that was the pattern more to the east, so it may have been that many birds were blown straight on down the North Sea past the east coast, whereas North Norfolk was right in the firing line! It'll be interesting to note whether this subtle change brings anything onto the east coast tomorrow.

Nigel

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=4.17,53.22,2048

Today the chart is showing some north-easterlies heading for the east coast. However, notice the north-north-easterlies coming in over the Wash. For much of the week that was the pattern more to the east, so it may have been that many birds were blown straight on down the North Sea past the east coast, whereas North Norfolk was right in the firing line! It'll be interesting to note whether this subtle change brings anything onto the east coast tomorrow.

Nigel

Or put simply, head South and West |>|

What a great and witty poem.

We do indeed need a "like" button on Bird Forum.

Rob and I are seeing Steve ( aka Stratton) tomorrow - we are off east, not north.

I will let him know your concern about him bailing... :t:
Thanks for the witty tome - definitely brightens up the Norfolk thread :t:

Thanks Carol, good to know he's got good friends around him, he seems to attract them! would be great to meet you too when I'm up there soon :t:

Really interesting Nigel. I attempted to speculate this theory earlier in the week, but you have put it much more eloquently than I!

Josh- give me a bell if you're about over next couple of weeks, I've got some flexibility.

Jim.

In the past i been lucky enough to find one of the ticket inspectors and they given me change this was last year

At about 12.15pm about 600m west of drinking pool on main track at Wells, large group of people looking for Pallas's Warbler when I heard what I took to be Pallas's song. I know in the past they have been known to sing but someone I spoke to thought a tape was being played.
Anyone know if it was a tape? 2 Pallas's were seen shortly afterwards

Really interesting Nigel. I attempted to speculate this theory earlier in the week, but you have put it much more eloquently than I!

Josh- give me a bell if you're about over next couple of weeks, I've got some flexibility.

Jim.

YHA is always fun, as you know our historic buildings need protection,

Lets go for some Lightstarts this time

Nigel

Having said that, I think it's true to say that, apart from falls of goldcrests and thrushes, there doesn't seem to be have been much in the way of new rarities for two or three days. The current ones have been around for several days, perhaps because of the constant run of cloudy nights. Maybe cloud over southern Scandinavia has deterred further birds from setting off.

Having said that, I think it's true to say that, apart from falls of goldcrests and thrushes, there doesn't seem to be have been much in the way of new rarities for two or three days. The current ones have been around for several days, perhaps because of the constant run of cloudy nights. Maybe cloud over southern Scandinavia has deterred further birds from setting off.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=59348&page=183

Anyone faqncy revisiting 'bounce theory', those were the days of great debates and flying accusations :bounce:

Right I'm off to walk our eco-community patch and see the old man

http://dovegreyreader.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451584369e2016766c0d540970b-500wi

Well I left not long after the last post on this thread, and just got back. A long day! All the info was excellent, so thanks again.

The birds at Wells Wood were not giving themselves up easily but eventually had RF Bluetail, Blyths Reed Warbler, Humes Leaf Warbler, 2 Pallas's Warblers, Yellow-browed Warbler, tons of Goldcrests, Chiffchaff, Woodcock, Kingfisher and bird of the day - a stunning male Firecrest.

Thankfully the Olive-backed Pipit at Muckleburgh Hill was a sinch, as was the Issy Shrike at nearby Sheringham.

So a real red-letter day. No lifers, but some cracking birds nevertheless.

Well I left not long after the last post on this thread, and just got back. A long day! All the info was excellent, so thanks again.

The birds at Wells Wood were not giving themselves up easily but eventually had RF Bluetail, Blyths Reed Warbler, Humes Leaf Warbler, 2 Pallas's Warblers, Yellow-browed Warbler, tons of Goldcrests, Chiffchaff, Woodcock, Kingfisher and bird of the day - a stunning male Firecrest.

Thankfully the Olive-backed Pipit at Muckleburgh Hill was a sinch, as was the Issy Shrike at nearby Sheringham.

So a real red-letter day. No lifers, but some cracking birds nevertheless.

Sounds like a brilliant day, Nick! How often would you see a list like that in one day? Just wondering - of the rarer birds at Wells, did any of them give you views of more than a few seconds?

Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back