Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Does EMR harm living organisms?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Old Wednesday 27th June 2018, 11:59   #876
Purple Heron

@ Jos I don't know where in Greece you were, but I have pointed out on a number of occasions that Samos is a high EMR environment, not only 4G+ everywhere but also EMR from Greek and Turkish military installations (radar and communications). The military do not use the same bandwidths as those designated for civilian use, and at a guess they are closer to 5G bandwidths.

There are many places in Greece, not border areas (at least not borders with Turkey) where EMR levels are not nearly as high. Prespa Lakes is one, Lake Kerkini is another (both are still 3G, for that matter). So there are places that are still 3G (and fewer cell towers), and places with 4G but with fewer cell towers, and which are also mercifully free of military EMR. These places have more insects and more birds, and more bees, and they don't have dying trees. Also, in places where 4G has been recently introduced (e.g. the Zagogorohoria above Yiannina) it will take a while for the effects of 4G to become visible--things do not disappear overnight, but numbers diminish gradually. That is what happened here. We didn't suddenly wake up one day and say, "Gosh, where have all the birds gone?"

Samos is, at this point, a toxic soup of various radiofrequency bandwidths, with a huge number of cell towers both civilian and military. From my house, I can see about twenty. And, as I just said, we do not know what frequencies the military are using, but they will be more "advanced" than what civilians use. It is not, therefore, inconsistent to point out that we are experiencing an especially acute lack of birds and insects, as well as dying trees. Ambient EMR will vary greatly, even within a country. Take Samos as a warning, rather, of what could happen when the EU adopts 5G everywhere--which is due to happen by 2020. This is why I am pressing for a moratorium on 5G technology. It has not been properly studied; in fact it has hardly been studied at all. If you assume it is safe, and it turns out not to be, it will cause immense damage from which the birds and insects may not recover.

Interestingly enough, butterflies do not appear to be as affected by EMR as some other classes of insects. Their numbers are down, certainly, but they have not disappeared in the way the bees, beetles, hoverflies and other insects are doing. This is not to say they will necessarily survive when 5G comes along, because 5G is not a single bandwidth but a whole spectrum of bandwidths. From what I have gathered from reading the studies, species respond differently to different bandwidths, and some bandwidths are more biologically active than others. We just don't know what will happen with 5G, because you would have to look at the whole spectrum a bit at a time.
Old Wednesday 27th June 2018, 15:56   #877
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Heron View Post
@ Jos I don't know where in Greece you were, but I have pointed out on a number of occasions that Samos is a high EMR environment, not only 4G+ everywhere but also EMR from Greek and Turkish military installations (radar and communications). The military do not use the same bandwidths as those designated for civilian use, and at a guess they are closer to 5G bandwidths.
And the islands of Lesvos and Kos are not in the same position?

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th June 2018, 09:34   #878
Purple Heron

@ Jos No, though both are close to the Turkish coast. The main Turkish radar/communications monitoring station which tracks aircraft, etc for hundreds of miles north and south is located on a mountain directly opposite Samos, less than 2 miles away from the island across the straits of Mykali. You can see some of the masts and equipment with binoculars. The Greek monitoring and communications station here is likely the equivalent of the Turkish one across the water, so quite powerful, and then there are the bases. In terms of civilian cell towers, I don't know if these islands have as many as Samos, which truly has an extraordinary number. The military equipment keeps getting upgraded, and more masts, towers and equipment have been added to the Turkish base over the past year. I would assume the Greeks are doing the same.
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 13:53   #879
Purple Heron

I spent yesterday morning at the Samos Forestry Authority, where I presented them with a file of studies on the effects of EMR on trees. I expected to be humored and politely dismissed, so was pleasantly surprised to be taken seriously. It turns out that they have been sending samples of dying trees back to Athens to be tested for some time, and the samples are coming back negative for pests and fungi--just as we were told in the north of Greece last spring. So they will look at the studies and consider the possibility that EMR is killing trees in our area. The man I spoke to has also noticed the lack of bees locally. As quite a lot of people make their living from producing honey, bees are taken quite seriously here, apart from their function as pollinators.

I don't know if any of you have heard of Jerry Flynn, a retired Canadian captain who specialized in electronic warfare and now spends his time fighting wireless technologies--much like Barrie Trower in the UK. I think we should be taking these people very seriously, because it was their job for many years to know what microwave weapons/wireless technologies/EMR were capable of doing, and of course the military always has these technologies well in advance of any civilian applications. I've never spoken to these people myself, but an acquaintance of mine has talked to Barrie Trower, and says what EMR is capable of would scare the bejesus out of you. Barrie Trower will not use a computer, and certainly not the Internet.

In any case, here is a sample from Captain Flynn: http://www.newagora.ca/health-canada...mature-deaths/

Flynn spends some time discussing the Miltiary-Industrial Complex, which he says threatens all life on earth. I have postulated here that the real reason they want 5G is for the military, and reports of Trump wanting to set up a special space warfare branch of the military tends to confirm my view. It is not only my view, as you will see if you read the short article "Is space for wonder or for war?" at https://www.beyondnuclearinternation...er-or-for-war/

I don't think the military cares a whit whether their war games wipe out all life on this planet, as long as the side they're on gets to dominate the smoking cinder that will remain when they're finished playing. In any case I believe there is a lot more to 5G rollout than "connectivity" and people's convenience. By letting them put 5G in, I think we are opening a real Pandora's box of nasties, and we won't be able to turn the clock back.
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 21:45   #880
elkcub
BF Supporter 2018

Ouch!

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 1st July 2018, 14:04   #881
Purple Heron

Appeal to everyone: Please sign a petition against 5G--everyone can sign this one

A site called Zero5G has launched an international petition to halt the deployment of 5G. You don't have to be a Ph.D or an M.D to sign this one, so I am asking everyone to please sign the petition, for our own sakes and for the sake of the environment. If I have ever said a single word to make you wonder if EMR is safe for you, for birds, for insects or for anything else, please take a moment to complete the form and send it in, and please pass it on to others so that they can sign also. Please share this as widely as possible.

The site is https://zero5g.com and the petition is at this page: https://zero5g.com/take-action-non-usa/ or, if you are in the US, https://zero5g.com/take-action-usa
They will contact your legislator for you, and pass on any message you care to send (see the form for this).

I don't know if any of you are aware that US firefighters have been objecting to the siting of cell towers anywhere near fire stations. They refuse to have cell towers near fire stations because so many firefighters have become ill after exposure, with many of them developing cancer. Now they are extending their protest to 5G small cells. Take a look at this article: https://www.activistpost.com/2018/06...omplaints.html

And finally, I think I have mentioned the work of Dr. Marc Arazi of France, who forced the French government to reveal the results of annual tests of various models of cell phones. It turns out that nine out of ten cell and smart phones exceed the recommended SAR when held close to the body, which means that if you use one of these models, you are being exposed to much more radiation than you think. He is calling for the recall of over 250 models of cellphones and smartphones on safety grounds. Here is the link: https://www.phonegatealert.org/2018/...ternationally/
The French government has been regularly testing mobile phones since 2012, and it took a court action to make them reveal that most of them are unsafe (by ICNIRP standards, no less!). It really makes you wonder whether governments care about the health of citizens at all. If they do not, what are the implications for 5G?

Again, I urge everyone to sign the petition against 5G.
Old Sunday 8th July 2018, 14:09   #882
Purple Heron

Remember the saiga antelope?

A while ago we had a discussion about the saiga antelope which died in large numbers from a common bacterium that should not have killed them. I have found a couple of papers on the effects of EMR on bacteria that are worth reading; one discusses how EMR increases antimicrobial resistance, and the other discusses how EMR actually promotes the growth of some bacteria. Given the presence of anthropogenic EMR in the environment (and there is virtually no place on earth that isn't to some degree affected) it is distinctly possible that EMR was responsible for the mass slaughter of the saiga antelope.

With 5G very definitely coming, the effects of EMR on microbes becomes more important. A normally non-lethal microbe may, under the right circumstances, lead to a pandemic. Since nobody is bothering to look into these things before 5G rollout, anything could happen. And the EU at least is aggressively pursuing 5G. We're going to get a 5G highway running from Serbia through Bulgaria and Northern Greece, allegedly to test driverless cars. One wonders for whom, since the inhabitants of these countries will not be able to afford these cars: average salary in Bulgaria, 200 euros; average salary in Greece, under 700 euros with a much higher cost of living and crippling taxes. Here's the story: https://emerging-europe.com/in-brief...corridor-deal/

This will be very bad news for the important bird areas of Northern Greece. One route would go by Dadia, the Evros, Lake Ismarida and the Nestos; the other would go by Lake Kerkini in addition to destroying a beautiful and ecologically important valley in Bulgaria that environmentalists have been fighting to save. But the EU is waving large sums of money about and corrupt governments do not care about the environment. Will the nature NGOs react? One would hope so, but they aren't likely to if they are being sponsored by Big Wireless.

Driverless cars don't just need 5G. From what I have read, each car will be equipped with 3 radars (yes, actual radar) with beams traveling 150 meters, there will be Wi-Fi in the car itself, and of course a load of 5G towers and small cells along the way. Add this to 3G and 4G towers that already exist, and the atmosphere will be a horrendous cocktail of EMR frequencies. Fertile ground for microbes, indeed--and for all the other effects that EMR is having on wildlife.

Many people are desperately trying to fight the EU juggernaut on this, but the EU is launching many such projects throughout Europe simultaneously. The potential for devastation is immense, and one can only hope that scientists and concerned individuals will be watching what happens and won't wait for years to notice the effects of 5G on the environment. With nature already in trouble, there is no time to waste.

Last edited by Purple Heron : Sunday 8th July 2018 at 14:11.
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 09:11   #883
Purple Heron

5G as a public health hazard and environmental pollutant

The attached paper argues that 5G is a public health hazard as well as an environmental pollutant. It's an easy 8-page read and I recommend it.

Section 3.2 very nicely expresses the core of the argument concerning whether EMR can be dangerous. ICNIRP says no, because non-ionizing radiation cannot heat tissues (actually, that is not quite true, as anyone who has held a mobile phone to his ear long enough for the ear to feel warm knows. But then again, 9 out of 10 mobile phones violate ICNIRP standards when used as people actually use them). However, the authors make the point that tissue heating is not the only mechanism by which non-ionizing radiation causes damage to living cells. ICNIRP only recognizes heating as a mechanism of damage, but scientists have found other mechanisms "whereby cellular function can be disrupted by non-thermal exposures to radiofrequency radiation".

If there are other mechanisms that do not involve heating, then the fact that cell towers use low wattage is irrelevant. Wattage is not the issue. Tissue heating is not the issue. The issue is that electromagnetic radiation disrupts cellular function and causes damage to all living things. And this is the problem with all mbie communications in a nutshell. They all generate EMR, and EMR harms us and nature.
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 13:26   #884
Nohatch
Mad scientist

Quote:
because non-ionizing radiation cannot heat tissues (actually, that is not quite true, as anyone who has held a mobile phone to his ear long enough for the ear to feel warm knows.
Non-ionizing radiation cannot ionize molecules (i.e. charge them by removing or adding an electron), but it is in fact very good at heating things (microwaves, infrared).
Warm mobile phone = CPU

P.S. the link doesn't work so yo may want to re-upload with a different file extension

Last edited by Nohatch : Tuesday 10th July 2018 at 14:20.
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 17:45   #885
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohatch View Post
Non-ionizing radiation cannot ionize molecules (i.e. charge them by removing or adding an electron), but it is in fact very good at heating things (microwaves, infrared).
Warm mobile phone = CPU

P.S. the link doesn't work so yo may want to re-upload with a different file extension
If you apply the PDF app from your app store, it does work. It just doesn't open with Adobe, so the attachment may not be kosher...
MJB
Old Wednesday 11th July 2018, 09:42   #886
Purple Heron

@ all. If you are having trouble with the pdf, here is a link that will get you there instead: https://tinyurl.com/ybovs696
This links directly to the Elsevier publication so is kosher as far as I know.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 11:58   #887
Purple Heron

@ Nohatch I know non-ionizing radiation can heat things (hence the microwave) but the point is that ICNIRP and SCENIHR only recognize damage from heating and consider that there are no effects from non-ionizing radiation beyond that. However, even ICNIRP recognizes that heating tissues damages them, which is why mobile devices have a SAR (specific absorption rate) value. The fact that 9 out 10 mobile phones exceeds the SAR values when used as people normally use these devices is worrying because it implies that these devices cannot be made safe even by ICNIRP standards. With the identification of non-thermal mechanisms of cellular damage, the current SAR ratings become woefully inadequate, and have no value whatsoever when it comes to the infrastructure that supports wireless devices: cell towers, Wi-Fi, etc.
Old Tuesday 17th July 2018, 14:14   #888
Purple Heron

There's a very interesting article on Zero Hedge called "Survival of the Richest" at https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...rvival-richest

It seems that the 1% are convinced that there is going to be "an event" that will send them all scurrying for the bunkers they've been building over the last few years. That "event" could well be 5G, or 5G from space, perhaps coupled with a world financial meltdown--they don't seem to know what exactly to expect, but they do expect something and are not buying the mainstream media's "everything is awesome" narrative.

The main reason I posted this, however, is the interesting things he says about smartphones and computers just above the photo. Conflict minerals. Children mining them. Slave labour. Toxic e-waste, also picked over by children. Do you think about these things when you use your smartphone?

Then there is energy use. I'm posting a paper on energy use in the wireless world. It makes the point that 3G used 15 times more energy than wired technology, and that 4G uses 23 times as much energy as wired technology. What will 5G use? A lot more than that, you can be sure. So how much does this contribute to climate change, for those of you who believe climate change is what is mostly responsible for wiping out birds and insects? How do you justify it?

If you add biological effects to energy use, toxic e-waste, mining and all the rest, your smartphones are literally costing the earth. And by the way, there is more gold in a ton of e-waste than there is in a ton of gold ore.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf energy-wired-wireless.pdf (265.5 KB, 2 views)
Old Tuesday 17th July 2018, 19:32   #889
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2018

I find myself in a ranting mood, not unlike PH, so what the hell:

Quote:
How do you justify it?
Maybe a good counter, how do you expect me not to?

At least do so and still live a life that is viable/possible in the United States, preferrably California, and do so with fiscal responsibility?

I work in tech, and must keep up, sadly, at least to some minimal degree. Granted, I have had only three cell phones in 20 years...pretty much only upgrade when forced to. Same for my computers.

My choices may not be perfect choices, but sometimes as a being if my choice is between starving and dying (which giving up my career would lead to at this point in my life) or living, I cowardly choose to give in to my base impulses and live, sometimes at all cost.

Not many days go by where I don't wish I had some other aptitude that had put me in the natural sciences, forestry, traveling new-age artist, or any number of "out in nature and living simply" types of lifestyles. Or maybe had been born someplace more rural and "backwards." Or had been born in some unspecified time/place before humanity went bonkers. Or could get a decent paying job applying my middling tech knowledge to some nature-y problem and still afford to live here. Or didn't have health problems limiting where I can live (or for that matter, budget problems limiting where I can live).

But alas, I make what choices I can that make sense.

But that doesn't include bailing on my phone or computers, or my fridge, or my air conditioning, or my medications, or my small townhome, or my camera, or eating meat. It has included lowering how much processed food I eat, lowering how much soda I drink, sharing a car, commuting by public transit or bicycle (both tougher than you think where I live). It hasn't yet included buying products based on their packaging (damn over-use of plastic), but does include recycling perhaps 95% of what is possible. I could go on and on and what I do may seem evil to some, and crazy to others.

5G, even if it were all the evils you claim, are still some tiny bit of a whole soup of problems I have to balance between, all of which on their own will eventually lead to the collapse of the biosphere, and in aggregate I wouldn't be surprised if something collapsed and all sorts of nasty disasters kill off some huge chunk of humanity in the 30 years I likely have left.

How would you solve my dilemma, out of curiosity?

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th July 2018, 22:30   #890
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinFold View Post
. . .Or had been born in some unspecified time/place before humanity went bonkers. . . .But alas, I make what choices I can that make sense.

How would you solve my dilemma, out of curiosity?
A vain hope since there is zero reason to suspect there ever was a time when man worried about the long-term consequences of his acts or reacted to the slightest hint of frustration with other than ungovernable rage and violence against whoever happened to be at hand. And the solution, if there is one, lies not in navel lint but in the outside world at large: not in pathological introspection but in effective action via old-fashioned politics-as-the-art-of-possible. Hard doctrine, I know, for the hermit, the saint, the guru, the neurotic but the only conceivable way forward. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th July 2018, 22:36   #891
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
A vain hope since there is zero reason to suspect there ever was a time when man worried about the long-term consequences of his acts or reacted to the slightest hint of frustration with other than ungovernable rage and violence against whoever happened to be at hand.
Well, perhaps far enough back before there were enough people for it to matter so much? Where even when they didn't think about the consequences, there were few they could realistically enact?

But otherwise, point taken, and I agree.

Quote:
And the solution, if there is one, lies not in navel lint but in the outside world at large: not in pathological introspection but in effective action via old-fashioned politics-as-the-art-of-possible. Hard doctrine, I know, for the hermit, the saint, the guru, the neurotic but the only conceivable way forward. . ..
Which is the problem. I think a huge cataclysm might do it too...maybe. Basically something to force the epiphany and change in priorities on a massive scale.

Sometimes I think the more technologically advanced we become, the more arrogant we become about "we can solve it" rather than "we should avoid it because we can't solve it."

A thought experiment of "what would the world have been like if the environment came first, everything else second?" Or "what if profit and power were not the number one societal motivator?"

Were that I had the constitution to be that hermit, saint, guru, or neurotic.

Last edited by CalvinFold : Tuesday 17th July 2018 at 22:40.

Old Tuesday 17th July 2018, 23:00   #892
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
...Were that I had the constitution to be that hermit, saint, guru, or neurotic. . ..
Actually, I think, you’ve got the neurotic part pretty well licked already. . .. .

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Wednesday 18th July 2018 at 00:19.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th July 2018, 23:36   #893
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
. . .Or maybe had been born someplace more rural and "backwards.". . ..?
I. e., in Trump country, the domain of what Karl Marx referred to as “rural idiocy”. As I keep saying, there’s no where or when to flee to, we live in the real world as it exists today and that where our responsibilities lie.

And, for goodness sake, don’t let PH’s wild talk of demon cell phone throw you for a loop. . ..

Quote:
. . .Well, perhaps far enough back before there were enough people for it to matter so much? Where even when they didn't think about the consequences, there were few they could realistically enact?
You underestimate our species. Even way back when when population sizes were minuscule and technology rudimentary, mankind managed to exterminate continental megafaunas almost at first contact wherever we colonized—Australia, the Americas, Asia. There never was a Golden Age when we lived in peace with each other and the rest of animate creation, and never will be unless we keep plugging away in the here and now, using all available resources including when appropriate the latest in technology.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Wednesday 18th July 2018 at 01:58.

Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 11:58   #894
Mono
Hi!

The "Golden Age" is now.
Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 13:46   #895
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
I. e., in Trump country, the domain of what Karl Marx referred to as “rural idiocy”. As I keep saying, there’s no where or when to flee to, we live in the real world as it exists today and that where our responsibilities lie.

And, for goodness sake, don’t let PH’s wild talk of demon cell phone throw you for a loop. . ..
Well, I ruled out "Trump Country" already, so that didn't count.

And PH may have a point, to a degree. Let's assume she's at least correct to some degree: my point is, it's one of many, as opposed to the primary, "problem" afflicting the world.

Too many people have their pet cause and think it, and only it, is the doom of the world. Fewer seem to realize there are so many "dooms" out there that picking a balance between what to worry about and what to confront is an actual problem unto itself.

If I thought too hard about it, I'd be depressed all the time from all the things I know are screwing-up the planet and heading us towards some tipping point (assuming also for a moment we haven't crossed that line yet).

Instead, I pick my battles. I work on things I can control because I learned long ago I can't convince others, they have to figure it out for themselves. Live my own life well within the confines of what society gives me wiggle room on. I used to rage against the machine like PH, but gave up after some epiphanies of my own.

I'm pointing out to PH that 5G is really kinda low down on the list...mankind has already quite a list of ways to kill of species before we ever got to EMR. I'd focus my energies (no pun intended) on those if I were her. But then again, if she has a better idea, I'd be curious to hear it, as we all should be since she cast that particular stone.

Quote:
You underestimate our species. Even way back when when population sizes were minuscule and technology rudimentary, mankind managed to exterminate continental megafaunas almost at first contact wherever we colonized—Australia, the Americas, Asia. There never was a Golden Age when we lived in peace with each other and the rest of animate creation, and never will be unless we keep plugging away in the here and now, using all available resources including when appropriate the latest in technology.
I think most people underestimate our species...and how often we pave the road towards hell with our good intentions and blind optimism. I'm more in the "Seventh Generation" camp when I can, but that's not how the world is run. We can't have a great society staring at our feet...or our phones.

I'd also beg to differ about the "there never was a Golden Age when we lived in peace with each other and the rest of animate creation." Never as grandiose as you phrased it, but you could argue that before there we so many of us with too much technology, we were more "one" with the natural world; on more even terms with it. Imagine if we had held on to that sensibility somehow before leaping forward with technology?

In any case, we are certainly NOT plugging away at the problem or using available resources or the latest technology. A few wealthy people are, but society is unwilling to shoulder universal deployment. We have the means now, we simply don't have the will. Or maybe even if we had the will, the current economic/political organization of the world doesn't allow for it to happen?

I could go into a few thought experiments, but this is already getting a bit far off the rails; and disagreeing with PH is one thing, but threadjacking is another.

Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 13:47   #896
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
The "Golden Age" is now.
I like the sound of your Kool Aid. What flavor is it, and where can I get some?

Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 19:09   #897
Mono
Hi!

By what ever measure you choose life today is better than life at any other point in human history.
Old Thursday 19th July 2018, 14:37   #898
Purple Heron

@CalvinFold, fugl Great conversation! Of course I see the problems and I'm not a saint either, though I may yet become a hermit. Nor, for the record, do I think EMR in any form is the only problem--far from it. But EMR/5G is high on my list because if we lose nature we are dead. Of all our problems, and they are as many-headed as the hydra, I think EMR is the one we can actually solve. It's just not necessary to be able to gab and be on the internet every place you go, dammit. In inhabited (including rural) areas we can use fiber optics and modern copper wire, achieving both ultra-fast speeds and economy at the same time. It would still be possible to have some form of smartphone if you had publicly available plug-in points--including along roads and highways. But we lack the will to solve the problem we are creating because too many people are making too much money off mobile technology.

Kevin, you are totally right about the arrogance driving current thinking. We cannot solve everything through technology. We have to recognize times when technology is the problem, not the solution, and there are things we should avoid because we can't solve them--messing with nature is one of those. But what do you expect of a species that has named itself "homo sapiens"? It is astonishing when you think of it that our species, a mere 200,000 or so years evolved, has the temerity to mess with a natural order that took billions of years to evolve to its present stage, and is still evolving. We are the new kids on the block, and we're going to tell the world how to function? We are meddling monkeys, and we will really deserve it if it blows up in our faces. Which, with all our nuclear power plants and everything else, it may well do.

But we have gone mad of late. We have evolved from sun-worshipping societies that depended on nature to an alienation from nature that is so profound even conservationists look to technology to solve problems that simple common sense could solve better. For instance, I read that someone invented a machine that eats carbon dioxide. Why not plant a few trees instead? But then, what do you expect when most people are so divorced from nature that they cannot identify common birds, insects, animals or plants? We have never been so divorced from nature as we are now, and our bleak sci-fi visions of the future have no room for her. Is that what we really want for ourselves and our species? Why?

Fugl, I know a cellphone saved your life once, and that will of course influence your point of view with regard to this technology. And Kevin, I know everyone has limited options in the real world, and most of us do the best we can under difficult conditions. But we have some choices, regardless. You could make a phone call to call an ambulance with 2G--it doesn't have to be 4G or 5G. And we don't, as a society, have to go rushing off the cliff like lemmings.

The fact is that, EMR aside, mobile technology is terrible for the planet, and 5G promises to be much worse based on energy consumption and pollution alone. Here's an article from the Guardian on that aspect of things: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_fb

@ Mono I am afraid I do not agree that life is better today than at any point in human history. By some measures, it is better, definitely. By others, it is infinitely worse.
Old Thursday 19th July 2018, 17:32   #899
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
We are meddling monkeys
I prefer "mutant monkeys" (with credit to the neoceltic pagan folk band Omnia).

Quote:
We have never been so divorced from nature as we are now, and our bleak sci-fi visions of the future have no room for her.
To be fair, most sci-fi, even from the great authors of the genre, tend to be devoid of nature or treat it with a very antiseptic brush (Asimov's Robot series novels featuring Elijah Baley or Robert Silverberg's The World Inside). But it's not always that way; the Nox of the Stargate: SG1 franchise are one (simplistic) example that at least some writers realize there are other ways to look at our relationship with technology. Probably other examples I'm just forgetting in the sci-fi clutter of my brain.

To be fair, distopian future stories are in again, and the point is usually "look how screwed up we made it" and in my mind doesn't glorify it at all. And if you branch out to certain sub-genre of anime/manga you'll see the Japanese culture often wrestles with nature-vs-tech in their settings and stories (and in the most intensely beautiful and stark ways you'll ever see).

Old Thursday 19th July 2018, 17:46   #900
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
By what ever measure you choose life today is better than life at any other point in human history.
While I don't often agree with PH...I'm going to have to go with..."um, no."

I am neither fiscally as well-off as my parents were in the 70s relative to the cost of living, nor do I feel as confident in my government or the environment. Nor is my health coverage as good for the money, nor is my retirement as secure.

Crime may or may not be actually down, but even if it is, it's still common enough where I don't feel safe; even if it's "safer" it's not "safer enough" to feel all Golden Age about it. At least not where I can afford to live.

People drive like morons and there are more of them. Only reason accident statistics are down is because the cars are safer and less people walk or ride bikes anywhere. Try being a regular pedestrian, cyclist, or motorcyclist in anything remotely (sub)urban if you don't believe me; it was alot safer 30+ years ago.

And frankly, what Trump might do at home or abroad really scares me way more than the Cold War ever did, no matter how much I kick the idea around in my head.

But...I do often envy people who think life is all hunky-dory.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: