Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

COVID: lies, damn lies, and statistics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2020, 16:21   #301
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Part II of the UK Column article you posted earlier....
"COVID–19: The Big Pharma players behind UK Government lockdown"
https://www.ukcolumn.org/article/cov...nment-lockdown

Let's see what the members make of it shall we ..... ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwatcher View Post
Thanks for the link. The original article is worth reading imho - it raises some salient governance questions .... and that's really the crux of the situation of the here and now.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th May 2020, 17:42   #302
anderson10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwatcher View Post
https://off-guardian.org/2020/05/19/...ve-new-normal/
Old Wednesday 20th May 2020, 19:19   #303
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation "Calls to end ‘undemocratic ’ adjournment of parliament"

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...WhLvMuMXLBU7x8
"A former high court judge and public service chief have written to*Scott Morrison*calling for the full resumption of parliament, saying the current lack of accountability and scrutiny is “undemocratic and unprecedented”.

A group of 10 former judges, leading lawyers, integrity experts, and public servants have voiced their concern about the lengthy absence of full parliamentary sittings during the Covid-19 response."

Chosun

Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 05:38   #304
andyadcock

Hydroxychloroquin - UK trial to start

Can some explain the purpose of a placebo in this instance?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52737169
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 05:43   #305
andyadcock

Trump again

At the very least, this is 'unpresidential', the fact that he does stuff like this, points to a warped and immature personality. It's quite frankly, disgraceful that he behaves like this, he's acting like a frat brat with his childish name calling but the remarks are scandalous, criminal even?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52748844

They should sue Trump for defamation, there's no Presidential privilege attached is there?

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 21st May 2020 at 05:48.
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 06:43   #306
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
At the very least, this is 'unpresidential', the fact that he does stuff like this, points to a warped and immature personality. It's quite frankly, disgraceful that he behaves like this, he's acting like a frat brat with his childish name calling but the remarks are scandalous, criminal even?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52748844

They should sue Trump for defamation, there's no Presidential privilege attached is there?
Impeachment failed so at this point everything hinges on the results of the November election: if he loses he can be dealt with by the civil and criminal courts; if he wins, the game’s over. Fingers crossed. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 08:52   #307
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Impeachment failed so at this point everything hinges on the results of the November election: if he loses he can be dealt with by the civil and criminal courts; if he wins, the game’s over. Fingers crossed. . ..
So you can't sue a sitting President for defamation?
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 13:04   #308
Welsh Peregrine

Andy, all drug trials use placebos to eliminate confounding factors; I am also sure that this will be a double blind test so who had the real drug and who had the placebo is only known after the results are collected. It allows the maximum accuracy in determining the actual pharmaceutical effects of the drug.
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 14:48   #309
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Peregrine View Post
Andy, all drug trials use placebos to eliminate confounding factors; I am also sure that this will be a double blind test so who had the real drug and who had the placebo is only known after the results are collected. It allows the maximum accuracy in determining the actual pharmaceutical effects of the drug.
I always thought that placebos were used in cases where there are perceived psychological factors?
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 15:09   #310
Welsh Peregrine

It may be unlikely in this case, but it is by no means impossible that there could be a psychological effect even here, eg. Belief in the effectiveness of the treatment could change the recipient’s behaviour (or even individuals could minimise reports of effectiveness so as not to allow Trump to be right!)
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 19:09   #311
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
So you can't sue a sitting President for defamation?
I believe that’s the case.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 19:10   #312
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Fossil fuel & the lockdown—

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-amid-pandemic

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 03:19   #313
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs down

"COVID Denial" ...... now I've heard it all.

Chosun

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 05:33   #314
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

For the sake of the DOW—

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/o...e=articleShare

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 07:05   #315
andyadcock

Quote:
I and others, stated very early on that tough decisions were inevitably, going to have to be made.

It won't just be the US, all major countries including the UK, have to get working again some time but at what cost. I'm glad I'm not making this decision.

How to treat those who refuse to return to work over fears for their own safety, most prominently teachers, egged on in no small part by the Unions here in the UK. Continue to pay them, fire them if they ignore government instructions and stay at home? Teachers have a disproportionate effect on the economy in that millions of working people, will have to continue to stay at home with their kids if the schools don't reopen.

As the death toll drops, the clamour for a return to work will grow louder but some will still die. Any death that is perceived as being the result of a premature return to work, will become the focal point of those who would apparently stay at home until it's 100% safe to return which of course it never can be.

Some people WANT to work but some, HAVE to work, thank god the shopworkers haven't been so militant, we would have been totally screwed if they withdrew their labour.

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 22nd May 2020 at 07:22.
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 15:09   #316
litebeam

Quote:
I believe that’s the case.
If anyone should deserve to be sued it's the insectivora media....

Constant lies and hypocrisy. And nah, I won't provide proof, it will be ignored or disputed based on source.

This Covid debacle is an excellent case in point with their endless fearmongering and Trump bashing. Thankfully half the country ignores them.
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 16:04   #317
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebeam View Post

Constant lies and hypocrisy. And nah, I won't provide proof, it will be ignored or disputed based on source.

This Covid debacle is an excellent case in point with their endless fearmongering and Trump bashing. Thankfully half the country ignores them.
I don't think the "insectivora media" needs to bash Trump but simply report what he says. Asked recently about his coronavirus test Trump replied that "I tested very positively, in another sense, this morning. I tested positively toward negative, right? No, I tested perfectly this morning -- meaning I tested negative. But that's a way of saying it: positively toward the negative." You may think that's the response of a man fully in charge of his marbles and sufficiently intellectually competent to be President but many will beg to differ.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 16:39   #318
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
If anyone should deserve to be sued it's the insectivora media.... .
An odd insult. Most people think of Dumbo more as a feces-throwing ape than as a cockroach or ant.

Quote:
Actually, considerably less than half and rapidly decreasing according to all the polls..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Friday 22nd May 2020 at 17:35.

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 17:11   #319
PYRTLE

Quote:

You guys kill me
Bellyaching, whining, swearing and the inevitable occurs - we could see it coming but no, you carried on untill the thread was closed, well done. Then, quite amazingly try to start another one which lasted all of one initial post. Now you've brought your vitriol to another thread that was doing okay without your involvement. Please, please desist your input, and I will also, just read and " Listen without Prejudice".
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 17:26   #320
jan van daalen

Quote:
An odd insult. Most people think of Dumbo more as a feces-throwing ape than an aphid or a cockroach.

Actually, considerably less than half and rapidly decreasing according to all the polls..
Fugl, you are in desperate need of a shrink.
I don't think most people would even think that.
I think one poster just tries to sell that to most people
You do realize your are describing POTUS far beyond what reasonable people think. Maybe, just maybe, he is decreasing in the polls, but is there any reason to describe another human like this?
Please, get your act together Fugl.

Last edited by jan van daalen : Friday 22nd May 2020 at 17:36.
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 20:10   #321
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
You guys kill me
Bellyaching, whining, swearing and the inevitable occurs - we could see it coming but no, you carried on untill the thread was closed, well done. Then, quite amazingly try to start another one which lasted all of one initial post. Now you've brought your vitriol to another thread that was doing okay without your involvement. Please, please desist your input, and I will also, just read and " Listen without Prejudice".
I completely agree with this. It's called thread hijacking and needs to be stopped by management. And I don't mean stop the thread; I mean stop the hijackers!

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 22:22   #322
tenex

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
"COVID Denial" ...... now I've heard it all.
I didn't read the article until just now. No, it's not "COVID denial". This is just a typical left-wing hit piece. The protests of those who consider lockdowns unscientific, medieval, and not lifesaving -- all legitimate points that have been well supported by evidence, studies, and arguments on this forum and elsewhere -- are simply considered trashed by alleging that fossil fuel magnates like the Kochs are behind them. Who of course do have an interest in supporting such protests, but aren't somehow creating them.

This kind of illogic appears today even in what used to be considered respectable newspapers. If Trump thinks a nation needs to control its borders, that has to be wrong! If the Kochs are supporting antilockdown protests, they're illegitimate! This is what politics has come to. Only a lobotomy could cure the pain.

[Edit] This is really more a contrast than a repetition. The science on climate change is clear and robust, and those who dispute it really are stupid, craven, or both (including the Kochs of course)... and yet, the world continues to do practically nothing about it. In contrast, the science on COVID is still a ******* joke, predictions have been monstrously wrong, there's so much more we don't know about its behavior than we do, and yet certain moralistic types keep bleating about the need to "follow the science" while imposing measures so harsh and costly no one would ever have imagined them. The economic hit from taking timely action on carbon emissions (with much greater and more lasting benefits) might have been less, but was never seriously contemplated. Yet in a matter of weeks the entire world is doing this? Amazing.

Last edited by tenex : Friday 22nd May 2020 at 22:59.
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 22:45   #323
RafaelMatias

I see this thread going fast on the way to be canceled by the mods...
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 22:57   #324
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

A vaccine by the fall?

https://www.newyorker.com/science/me...ever-developed

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Friday 22nd May 2020 at 23:04.

Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 00:08   #325
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
. . .The science on climate change is clear and robust, and those who dispute it really are stupid, craven, or both (including the Kochs of course)... and yet, the world continues to do practically nothing about it. In contrast, the science on COVID is still a ******* joke, predictions have been monstrously wrong, there's so much more we don't know about its behavior than we do, and yet certain moralistic types keep bleating about the need to "follow the science" while imposing measures so harsh and costly no one would ever have imagined them. The economic hit from taking timely action on carbon emissions (with much greater and more lasting benefits) might have been less, but was never seriously contemplated. Yet in a matter of weeks the entire world is doing this? Amazing.
Quite a rant.

With regard to climate-change deniers being "stupid, craven, or both". Stupid, well, yeah, a case could be made, but craven??

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Saturday 23rd May 2020 at 00:16.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: