Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

SLC, Monarch HG, Conquest or Trinovid ?

Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 00:44   #26
adeel.mohd
Adeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
A one time purchase? All are VERY nice binoculars and any would be a nice choice. I can basically make a case for owning any of these. But for a ONE TIME purchase? Then I definitely would have to go with the SLC. FOV is #2 here with the flattest field. Best warranty/service. Quite honestly I'd probably throw the Conquest HD and the Trinovid HD out due to #3 and #4 FOV from this group. THD and CHD FOV is fine of course but they suffer by comparison here. The Monarch HG would be my second choice due to FOV, super focus adjustment, small frame, and low weight.

I took the liberty of putting these together for a photo for comparisons sake...
Thanx a lot, It seems SLC is a clear winner but FOV and low weight of HG cannot be ignored, If i say i shud start with HG and if unsatisfied ill sell it and go for SLC. Wats ur take? or shall i buy SLC and most probably there will not be looking back :)
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 00:45   #27
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conndomat View Post
Zeiss would surely advertise with a transmission of 93%, Allbino probably measured a little too much here ...
https://www.zeiss.de/consumer-produc...8x42.html#data
"90% light transmission

High-definition glass offers 90% light transmission for the eye, excellent performance in low light conditions and excellent target resolution across the entire magnification range."

Andreas
You will have to take that up with Allbino's. I am just quoting their figure's.

Last edited by [email protected] : Tuesday 19th May 2020 at 01:03.
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 00:53   #28
jring

Hi,

the transmission values on allbinos should be taken with a pinch of salt... they have changed methodology quite often and some older ones were obviously quite a bit off - like some roofs over 95%... which would require too good to be true transmission values per surface and a near perfect reflectivity of the dielectric coatings on the roof prism... which just doesn't happen (unless you are measuring monochromatic but for birding a red only image makes everything a robin ;-)

I trust the measurements from Gijs and his team more - they seem to know what they are doing and tend to be in line with manufacturer specs and some theory like counting surfaces in a simple porro design like the habicht and calculating transmission with know values for up to date multicoatings...

Joachim, who thinks that transmission is overrated for birding. It's all about contrast!
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 00:58   #29
Conndomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeel.mohd View Post
Thanx a lot, It seems SLC is a clear winner but FOV and low weight of HG cannot be ignored, If i say i shud start with HG and if unsatisfied ill sell it and go for SLC. Wats ur take? or shall i buy SLC and most probably there will not be looking back :)
Nobody can take away the uncertainty!

My last tip on this topic, try to compare both glasses yourself!
You can order both binoculars one after the other and then test them for 14 days before sending them back. That would be a slightly longer, but safe way!
A pair of binoculars is always a subjective experience, what fits with one does not have to fit with others, in case of doubt you have to see for yourself.

Andreas
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 01:00   #30
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I don't see a thing wrong with that analogy! I don't think you will have a reason to look back with the MHG. It's a great birding binocular.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 01:03   #31
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi,

the transmission values on allbinos should be taken with a pinch of salt... they have changed methodology quite often and some older ones were obviously quite a bit off - like some roofs over 95%... which would require too good to be true transmission values per surface and a near perfect reflectivity of the dielectric coatings on the roof prism... which just doesn't happen (unless you are measuring monochromatic but for birding a red only image makes everything a robin ;-)

I trust the measurements from Gijs and his team more - they seem to know what they are doing and tend to be in line with manufacturer specs and some theory like counting surfaces in a simple porro design like the habicht and calculating transmission with know values for up to date multicoatings...

Joachim, who thinks that transmission is overrated for birding. It's all about contrast!
House of Outdoor's say's 92% Transmission for the Conquest HD 8x42 so that is fairly close to Allbino's. The newer transmission test's on Allbino's are pretty accurate because they changed their testing method's.
https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/wp-co...LIA-8X42HD.pdf

"TRANSMISSION (15 points) - Currently we use spectophotometer to obtain the transmission graph in the range of wavelenghts from 380 to 900 nm. The method is very precise one and allows us to minimalize uncertainties to around 1%. In older tests we used three less accurate methods:
We mount a high level digital camera to an eyepiece (ocular lens) and we take a picture of diode. Then after standard procedure of data reduction, we carry out aperture photometry by comparing diode brightnesses (measured by eyepiece + camera configuration). Results depend only on lens diameter (which we know) and light transmission (which we can count).
We mount a high class CCTV video camera and record diverse luminosity star clusters (for example ‘Pleiades’) on a very starlit sky. The differences in range results from different transmission.
Another method rests on projecting intensive sunlight onto shaded white screen. A part of this screen is directly sunlit and to shaded part we glue a ruler. The screen is located in a specific distance to line up and cover screen surface brightness with projected image of sunlight surface brightness. Now we take a picture of this projected image of sun by camera. The ruler let us measure the scale of taken picture. A proportion of measured sun image in relation to actual lens area gives us the transmission."

Last edited by [email protected] : Tuesday 19th May 2020 at 01:19.
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 02:51   #32
adeel.mohd
Adeel

Quote:
I don't see a thing wrong with that analogy! I don't think you will have a reason to look back with the MHG. It's a great birding binocular.
Im in southern Norway, So its cloudy most times. Also 6mnths we have day light and rest 6 mnths most times its dark. The other thing is tht i use Binoculars for birds of prey especially Peregrine Falcon.. So its either dawn and dusk and therefore i was concerned about low light performance of Nikon HG, If its really good but less than SLC it would work for me but if its bad then i may have sell it and buy SLC in future. I have also decided 8x42 so i feel Brightness would be better than a 10x42.
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 03:29   #33
pbjosh

Adeel,

I don't know that there's a clear recommendation between an $1100 SLC and a $600 MHG. If you have a chance to try them out before buying, of course that is best. But both are really good deals on really good binoculars. If it's to be your only binocular, and within budget, I would echo Chuck's comment to go with the SLC probably unless you really value the weight difference. The SLC is ultimately the superior binocular, and you have the best service in the binocular world for it.
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 04:07   #34
Normsc

Unless you are able to try both for enough time to decide, you will always be kicking yourself for not buying the best the first time around. Now that I am older I find that a slightly better view, even though it costs significantly more is worth it. Really depends on how much time you spend viewing through binoculars and how important it is to you.
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 14:08   #35
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Im in southern Norway, So its cloudy most times. Also 6mnths we have day light and rest 6 mnths most times its dark. The other thing is tht i use Binoculars for birds of prey especially Peregrine Falcon.. So its either dawn and dusk and therefore i was concerned about low light performance of Nikon HG, If its really good but less than SLC it would work for me but if its bad then i may have sell it and buy SLC in future. I have also decided 8x42 so i feel Brightness would be better than a 10x42.
The "low-light" performance of those four binoculars is essentially equivalent. There is NO real world difference in the brightness of those four. All four are equally suited for use in Norway. I'm sorry a few members confused the matter for you.

Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 17:20   #36
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Ok gr8. So please suggest.. SLC for 1100$ and HG for 600$, Both of them almost new, never used. Which one will u pick? :)
At those prices, if price is a concern, I'd go with the HG. The SLC is a great pair of binoculars, easily on par optically with the best such as the Swarovski EL SV and Zeiss SF, but the improvement between it and a Monarch HG would be small, in my opinion.

Justin
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 18:30   #37
adeel.mohd
Adeel

Quote:
The "low-light" performance of those four binoculars is essentially equivalent. There is NO real world difference in the brightness of those four. All four are equally suited for use in Norway. I'm sorry a few members confused the matter for you.
Thanks a lot for all ur help and for the pic :)
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 18:31   #38
adeel.mohd
Adeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
Adeel,

I don't know that there's a clear recommendation between an $1100 SLC and a $600 MHG. If you have a chance to try them out before buying, of course that is best. But both are really good deals on really good binoculars. If it's to be your only binocular, and within budget, I would echo Chuck's comment to go with the SLC probably unless you really value the weight difference. The SLC is ultimately the superior binocular, and you have the best service in the binocular world for it.
Thanks. :)
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 21:36   #39
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
At those prices, if price is a concern, I'd go with the HG. The SLC is a great pair of binoculars, easily on par optically with the best such as the Swarovski EL SV and Zeiss SF, but the improvement between it and a Monarch HG would be small, in my opinion.

Justin
It depend's no how much you can tolerate CA and how much you value low light performance. The SLC has less CA than the HG especially on the edge and it has better transmission.

Last edited by [email protected] : Tuesday 19th May 2020 at 21:49.
Old Tuesday 19th May 2020, 21:39   #40
[email protected]

Quote:
I disagree. I have had all those binocular's and compared them in low light and the Conquest and SLC are definitely the brightest in low light. IMO the Conquest is the brightest in low light of the four. Zeiss tend to have very high transmission in general and I can see it. You get over a 4% difference in transmission and it is obvious. The SLC though has better contrast than the Conquest. One weaker area of the Conquest HD is contrast. For example, the Swarovski CL 8x30 has better contrast than the Conquest HD and that is one reason I prefer the CL over the Conquest.

Last edited by [email protected] : Tuesday 19th May 2020 at 23:03.
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 18:37   #41
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I disagree. I have had all those binocular's and compared them in low light and the Conquest and SLC are definitely the brightest in low light. IMO the Conquest is the brightest in low light of the four. Zeiss tend to have very high transmission in general and I can see it. You get over a 4% difference in transmission and it is obvious. The SLC though has better contrast than the Conquest. One weaker area of the Conquest HD is contrast. For example, the Swarovski CL 8x30 has better contrast than the Conquest HD and that is one reason I prefer the CL over the Conquest.
I would have to agree with this. I've only looked through the Monarch HG's in the store, but compared to the Conquest HD's and Swaros, they were not as bright. Fantastic in every other way, however.
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 20:18   #42
Arielelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Conquests are brighter because they were engineered to allow more blue light through which dramatically increases our sense of brightness. TV manufacturers do this with their tvs on display in stores by upping the blue so that they appear brighter. But what this does, is effectively lower the other colors intensities. Reds, Yellows, and oranges are especially affected and will appear much less vibrant and in my opinion, slightly dead. Birding is about enjoying nature and the Conquests make everything look slightly less beautiful in my opinion. I am probably in the minority on this, I was trained as a painter and i put a ton of emphasis on color, probably way more than other people care about, so keep that in mind.

The Conquests are extremely sharp though.

I eventually ended up with the SLC which I LOVE!! It does not have the absolute best color I have seen, but the colors are very neutral and vibrant. I can't remember which one, but one of the Leicas had the best color yet that I have seen but it wasn't very ergonomically comfortable.

The SLC is so easy on the eyes and super relaxing. The armor is also very comfortable and super durable. I have had n=mine for a few years now and show absolutely no wear at all. My conquests have not held up as well and show much more wear than the SLC's even though they have only been used a 10th of the time. They are starting to get a powdery white surface. Not sure what that is about.

I have tried the HG's at Cabelas a few times and was not impressed with them. They did not wow me like others do.

I would highly suggest the SLC. My wife has the 10x50 Swarovisions and I even prefer the view from my SLC's to them.

Be aware that they have very slow focus so they are frustrating to use during warbler season, which is only a month or so. But other than that they are amazing.

You won't regret it and they will last your lifetime.
Old Thursday 21st May 2020, 21:27   #43
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

I haven't ever really found a pair of (modern) binoculars that I thought looked 'dim'. I guess you could argue the Conquest HD and others are brighter, but I think color balance (as ArielElf mentioned above) is the bigger thing at play here.
It's again all preference. The SLC-HD are certainly the best binoculars, optically, and probably my favorite overall pair I've owned (which has been many, many pairs). But are they $500 better than a the Monarch HG, if price is a factor of interest? I would have to say no, particularly when considering the advantages of the Monarch (smaller form factor, lighter weight, wider FoV).
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 00:58   #44
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

All I can say is I've OWNED and STILL do each of the above binoculars. I use them birding and not in a store. I use the SLC and Monarch HG the most MAINLY due to FOV. I've owned the Trinovid HD since 08/2016. I bought my first 8X42 SLC, a SLC HD 11/2016 and the Conquest HD the same month. I bought the Monarch HG when it first came out, 01/2017. I bought the SLC WB, current model 04/2018. So the SHORTEST time I've had any one of those is two years and a month.

The difference in brightness of these four is literally nil. Go birding dusk, dawn...cloudy, etc and neither binocular is going to give the observer ANY benefit whatsoever. And neither is going to impact the observer in a negative way.

I'm not going to comment any more on this topic as it would be futile.

OP...good luck with your choice! Any of the above are fine binoculars. As another member says, proceed with confidence.

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 13:07   #45
adeel.mohd
Adeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielelf View Post
The Conquests are brighter because they were engineered to allow more blue light through which dramatically increases our sense of brightness. TV manufacturers do this with their tvs on display in stores by upping the blue so that they appear brighter. But what this does, is effectively lower the other colors intensities. Reds, Yellows, and oranges are especially affected and will appear much less vibrant and in my opinion, slightly dead. Birding is about enjoying nature and the Conquests make everything look slightly less beautiful in my opinion. I am probably in the minority on this, I was trained as a painter and i put a ton of emphasis on color, probably way more than other people care about, so keep that in mind.

The Conquests are extremely sharp though.

I eventually ended up with the SLC which I LOVE!! It does not have the absolute best color I have seen, but the colors are very neutral and vibrant. I can't remember which one, but one of the Leicas had the best color yet that I have seen but it wasn't very ergonomically comfortable.

The SLC is so easy on the eyes and super relaxing. The armor is also very comfortable and super durable. I have had n=mine for a few years now and show absolutely no wear at all. My conquests have not held up as well and show much more wear than the SLC's even though they have only been used a 10th of the time. They are starting to get a powdery white surface. Not sure what that is about.

I have tried the HG's at Cabelas a few times and was not impressed with them. They did not wow me like others do.

I would highly suggest the SLC. My wife has the 10x50 Swarovisions and I even prefer the view from my SLC's to them.

Be aware that they have very slow focus so they are frustrating to use during warbler season, which is only a month or so. But other than that they are amazing.

You won't regret it and they will last your lifetime.
Thnx for this gr8 piece of information. Appreciate :)
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 13:08   #46
adeel.mohd
Adeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
I haven't ever really found a pair of (modern) binoculars that I thought looked 'dim'. I guess you could argue the Conquest HD and others are brighter, but I think color balance (as ArielElf mentioned above) is the bigger thing at play here.
It's again all preference. The SLC-HD are certainly the best binoculars, optically, and probably my favorite overall pair I've owned (which has been many, many pairs). But are they $500 better than a the Monarch HG, if price is a factor of interest? I would have to say no, particularly when considering the advantages of the Monarch (smaller form factor, lighter weight, wider FoV).
True. Thnx :)
Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 13:12   #47
adeel.mohd
Adeel

Quote:
All I can say is I've OWNED and STILL do each of the above binoculars. I use them birding and not in a store. I use the SLC and Monarch HG the most MAINLY due to FOV. I've owned the Trinovid HD since 08/2016. I bought my first 8X42 SLC, a SLC HD 11/2016 and the Conquest HD the same month. I bought the Monarch HG when it first came out, 01/2017. I bought the SLC WB, current model 04/2018. So the SHORTEST time I've had any one of those is two years and a month.

The difference in brightness of these four is literally nil. Go birding dusk, dawn...cloudy, etc and neither binocular is going to give the observer ANY benefit whatsoever. And neither is going to impact the observer in a negative way.

I'm not going to comment any more on this topic as it would be futile.

OP...good luck with your choice! Any of the above are fine binoculars. As another member says, proceed with confidence.
Thnx for guiding :) I hve ordered Monarch HG 8x42 coz the FOV Weight, looks r hard 2 ignore. If i dnt find Image quality good or not bright enuf. I'll return them and buy SLC. Another thing i did recieve message from members where they hve sold SLCs even ELs and kept Monarch HG bcoz of lil diff in Image quality but gr8 diff in ergonomics.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 00:13   #48
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Thnx for guiding :) I hve ordered Monarch HG 8x42 coz the FOV Weight, looks r hard 2 ignore. If i dnt find Image quality good or not bright enuf. I'll return them and buy SLC. Another thing i did recieve message from members where they hve sold SLCs even ELs and kept Monarch HG bcoz of lil diff in Image quality but gr8 diff in ergonomics.
Good luck to you!

Old Today, 13:44   #49
adeel.mohd
Adeel

Quote:
Good luck to you!
Received my Monarch HG 8x42 today (Pic attached)
Beautiful piece of equipment. Feels very nice in hand.
Awesome ergonomics.
Image very crisp and sharp
Some blur on the edges but i feel no impact of it.
Checked in low light, I felt it was really good but may be SLC and Conquests are more brighter.
Watched Starlings at 50-70 mts in low light.. pic was clear, i could see details but not the details which u get when u click a bird with a DSLR camera... May b SLC captures those details.. dnt knw.. Planning to buy SLC.. judge both of them and then return one of them :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200527-153458_Gallery.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	728263  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: