• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (9 Viewers)

A nice reward for you for the habitat creation work you've done there Jos.
Hear hear.

Here the first juv. Swallows are on the wing, my long wait for a Hobby will no doubt soon be over.
I'm hoping the same, Richard.

Went butterfly searching today and (thanks to some knowledgeable friends with me) clocked up 33 species all within 5kms of the house:t:

Cracking total. I managed six round this way !

Having missed the majority of the spring its been a while since I've updated but with autumn starting yesterday in the shape of a common sandpiper heading south thought it was a good time to update the list. If only the white-winged black tern had flown another 50m further south......

90 Ringed Plover
91 Blackcap
92 Wheatear
93 Swallow
94 Willow Warbler
95 Whimbrel
96 Sand Martin
97 House Martin
98 Common Tern
99 Yellow Wagtail
100 Whitethroat
101 Garden Warbler
102 Little Tern
103 Cuckoo
104 Swift
105 Arctic Tern
106 Black Tern
107 Manx Shearwater
108 Canada Goose
109 Sooty Shearwater
110 Spotted Redshank
111 Common Sandpiper

Been down in France the last few weeks. Completely unexpected garden tick an hour or two back - had to leave the house briefly to hear a clear 'whip wi whip' as something flushed from the edge of the drive, and then further away into the distance. Common Quail, been a while since heard one anywhere.

Number 23 Pied Wagtail seen on my garden gate .

Havent seen any in the garden for long time probably not in the last 10
years though see often when I go along the road or the lane .

Last edited:
Number 23 Pied Wagtail seen on my garden gate .

Havent seen any in the garden for long time probably not in the last 10
years though see often when I go along the road or the lane .

Yes they can be a bugger for me too Brenda, on the annual ''grdn.listing'', some years none, or a single flyover...as this year. Another three species that I often struggle with....Mute Swan, Peregrine and Common Tern...this year one, nine and nine respectively!! It seems that no two years are the same. Having said that...two consecutive years of YBW!!...will the gods smile on me and deliver a ''Hat-Trick'' third this year? If they do, it won't be for the want of not trying. :t:

The latest addition for our small London garden (seen by Mrs wcb) was last week's grey heron being harried by two carrion crows.

I will post a year list at some point, but I suspect it may well not threaten the top of the hit parade.

Nice addition , Sue.
I probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been for my neighbor! I've gotten her interested in birding. She's gone out with me a few times and I've loaned her a few bird books. She has a miniature schnauzer and walks it several times a day. She often goes out for night walks. One night she texted me that there were birds 'clicking' in some palms at one of the apartment complexes here in Leisure World. I went out in my PJ's and met her. We had good views of Barn Owls and I found some pellets and showed them to her. Unfortunately, the birds were not visible from my apartment so I couldn't list them. About a month later, I came home from my 'sanctuary' down in San Diego. I got in about midnight and she was out walking 'Gunter'. We were talking and she said, "There's the clicking!" We watched two barn owls flying around the Canary Island pines next to our building where they eventually landed. Have had some good birding at the San Diego house. I need to go back on this thread and read about your new place. I hope you guys are enjoying it. I'd do some reading now, but I have my granddaughter with me and she wants to go body surfing--she's waited all day.

Last edited:
A couple more to add in recent weeks, both expected, just not outside as much due to the ongoing rain this summer!
67. Veery
68 Cedar Waxwing.

This time last year I was on 76 - so hopefully with a drier couple of weeks I can make up for lost time.

Three additions, a fine Goshawk spooking Mallard, breeding Marsh Warblers and fly-over Crossbills.

110. Goshawk
111. Marsh Warbler
112. Crossbill

Change to cold rainy (I hesitate to say 'autumnal') weather overnight brought our first post-breeding period migrants, two soggy-looking Spotted Flycatchers successfully hunting around the house, one a very spotty juvenile.
Still no Hobby, despite the increased hirundine and Swift numbers in recent days, it's a race between H and me for that one!

72 Spotted Flycatcher

Last edited:
My daughter and I are going on a road trip with my four youngest grandchildren. We are going up to Northern Cal to the Redwoods. I have a chance to add a few good birds to my 2017 list and possibly a lifer if I can get my target bird: American Dipper. I ordered two sets of cheapo binoculars so the kids can help grandma find birds. I took the new bins out to see if they were even halfway decent and hear and see a small flock of Barn Swallows fly over my head. Also forgot to add Eurasian Collared Dove from quite some time ago. Maybe if I went out more often, my list would be bigger. New bins are surprisingly good.
32. Eurasian Collared Dove
33. Barn Swallow

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back