• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May moths (1 Viewer)

The good weather has brought the moths out.

Three new lifers for me and a lovely mating pair:

Olindia schumacherana
The Seraphim Lobophora halterata
Agonopterix ocellana
Buff-tip mating pair

robhope

UK Leps 484 (Olindia schumacherana)
UK Plants 440 (Water Avens)
UK Birds 237

Attachments

• Olindia schumacherana.JPG
    Olindia schumacherana.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 34
  • The Seraphim Lobophora halterata.JPG
    The Seraphim Lobophora halterata.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Agonopterix ocellana.JPG
    Agonopterix ocellana.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Buff-tip pair.jpg
    Buff-tip pair.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 20
A nice range of moths now, between the rain showers, including another lifer for me:

Lime Hawk-moth (Mimas tiliae)

robhope

UK Leps 488 (May Highflier)
UK Plants 440 (Water Avens)
UK Birds 237

Attachments

• Lime Hawk-moth Mimas tiliae.JPG
    Lime Hawk-moth Mimas tiliae.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 75
On the North Downs at the weekend lots of active 5-spot Burnets. Also a couple of Burnet Companions, 2 male Clouded Buff, Lace Border, Common Swift + Pyrausta nigrata.

On my local patch nored Snout, Green Carpet + a couple of Silver-ground Carpets.

A couple of patch highlights from the last week of May - Alabonia geoffrella and Netted Pug. Not much better than geoffrella.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Alabonia geofferella 03.JPG
    Alabonia geofferella 03.JPG
    499.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Netted Pug 02.jpg
    Netted Pug 02.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 89
Not been on BF for couple of years and then forgot login detsils so this a new account (previous on as DomF) but mothing in Australia has been amazing this season following an OK Wet - we had over 2.5m of rain! So far in May 430+ spp on the sheet in the garden with 3000+ photos to work through. Garden list for last 24months 1200 and rising. Will try and start a new Aus thread for 2018

DomF/Atropos - welcome back and look forward to the Aussie moths. One of my real highlights on here to dip into in the past.

Andy - many thanks. I finally worked out I can lower shutter speed and push ISO to get depth of field with my camera....

All the best

Paul,
the missus has a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone which has a macro function as good, if not better than most small cameras and the colour repro is superb, much better than the cam I mention below.

The small cams like the one I carry, Olympus Tough 3 and which I take most most pics with, has a macro setting with a 'stacking' option which fires off about half a dozen rapid shots and stitches them together so that all the beast is in focus in the finished shot but your effort I here is a superb result.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back