• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

No. but I saw another Siberian Chiffchaff today. Another classic bird which called 5-6 times and showed down to 10-12 feet. It was just west of washington hide at Holkham around lunchtime today. Very nice indeed.

Also had a flock of 8 crossbills over the bay only called once and another 4 at the wells end, the last ones sounded like common but not sure on the first flock ?

Hi Stu,

I saw presumably the same bird in exactly the same location last Thursday.

Ian

Titchwelll November 3rd

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh morning only
Snow bunting - 4 on beach
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over reedbed

Paul

Avocets at Sea

While getting wet at West runton this morning we noted a fine Great Northern Diver on the sea but more bizarrely an Avocet some 1/2 mile offshore ? It seemed to be hanging out with the diver. I tried to turn it into a phalarope but then it flew a short way to reveal its identity. Has anyone else experienced avocets that far out sitting on the sea ?

Avocets at Sea

While getting wet at West runton this morning we noted a fine Great Northern Diver on the sea but more bizarrely an Avocet some 1/2 mile offshore ? It seemed to be hanging out with the diver. I tried to turn it into a phalarope but then it flew a short way to reveal its identity. Has anyone else experienced avocets that far out sitting on the sea ?

No - but I have seen them sitting on the middle of Grafham Water!
Cheers Jono

Buckenham
This morning, Wednesday, two Peregrines again, seemingly more interested in sparring with each other than finding breakfast. Lapwing numbers building up now, but still only 8 Golden Plovers.
Cheers

Snow White at Salthouse

One from the weekend, showing my desperation. I'll photograph anything, now, since there are hardly any real birds around.

Attachments

• P1000600pse1.jpg
    P1000600pse1.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 101
Avocets at Sea

Not exactly far out to sea but in Sept 2008 I noted at least 40 Avocets swimming in the deep water harbour at Bilbao in Northern Spain from the departing ferry to Portsmouth. There appeared not to be a piece of wading habitat in sight. Very odd to see them swimming as the ferry went past them.

I got so desperate today I ventured into suffolk !! We did manage to see the dusky warbler pretty well in lowestoft, I was trying to flush it towards the border but didn't have much luck. We got there after 9 and there wasn't a single other birder there ? As it was the best bird in east anglia I expected a few more. I pagered it out and that did the trick!

Do birders dream of electric Snow Geese?

One from the weekend, showing my desperation. I'll photograph anything, now, since there are hardly any real birds around.

That is my point and I have seen a Snow Goose in June with a few late Pink-foots but after speaking with the best in the business Snow with Pink-foots is fine, even though one of the Cley birds has gone missing!

Gotta admit the photo of the Snipe was a Great shot - apologies for the Fursism ;)

Last edited:
Still at least a couple of Lapland Buntings at West Runton today in the cliff-top stubble field, plus the unusual sight of 20+ Shoveler on the sea off there before flying off west.

Seems like the winds are due to swing round to the north-east on Sunday & Monday so maybe last chance of the autumn for something good......

Simon

This morning before work at Buckenham:
18 White-fronted Geese, 1 male Peregrine, 1 Ruff, 1 Green Sandpiper and 200 Pink-feet went west.
Cheers,
Jono

A bit of movement on the sea today with a couple of Bonxies, Great Crested Grebe, a few Kittiwakes, R T Divers, Gannets and auks, along with a few Wigeon, Teal, Knot and a Mallard all past West Runton, plus the Lapland Buntings still flying round with the skylarks over the stubble field.

Simon

went out looking for American Golden Plover today in Blakeney Harbour there were about 4200 out there- saw fat ones, thin ones, dark ones light ones, very golden and not very golden ones but no candidate for American, however the bird is as genuine as it gets so i'll carry on looking. If anyones interested the closest views can be got by walking along the creek that goes North of Blakeney and then cutting out NE once past the big grounded boat alternatively look from the NW corner of Blakeney Bank.

Titchwell November 6th

Today's highlights

Yellow legged gull - adult on fresh marsh mid afternoon
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 3 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - 1 offshore
Pintail - 76 on fresh marsh

Paul

still no sign of AGP in Blakeney Harbour, want this bird for the patch grrrr, obviously a very mobile flock - about 1000 Goldies headed off when I got there leaving about 6 ! two Bitterns over Blakeney Freshes. Anyone any thoughts on tomorrow light NEs with temp dropping a bit, possibly a smattering of Little Auks with poss of Owls coming in off + maybe a couple of Waxwings, outside chance of Dusky or Humes?

FFS! :-O, just come up on the pager at Blakeney Harbour that be the Stod and SJ, they were out there when i was, oh well good on them they had more patience, at least its being seen there.

Now managed to piece it together got there at 2.30 so AGP must have been in the flock that flew off, was more looking at the spectacle of 500 odd (counting was a bit off) Goldies whirring around over me than what i should have been doing which was looking for a dusky underwing,

Last edited:
Titchwell November 7th

Today's highlights

Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Little auk - 2 reported east @ 10:00
Red necked grebe - 2 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 3 offshore
Great skua - 1 offshore
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Whooper swan - 4 (2ad, 2 juv) on fresh marsh all day
Golden plover 2000 on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 30 on beach, 4 on fresh marsh

Note - Island Hide will be closed on Monday (9th) and Tuesday (10th)

Paul

Little to report

Unfortunately, not Auk.

WRunton still held 2+ Laps in the large stubble field, although they were distinctly camera-shy. The Med Gull is in its which year, now ?

Skylarks were moving in off and the Starlings just kept on comin' along.

Friary looked beautiful in the late afternoon sunshine, but the tit flocks contained . . . tits.

However, the Long-tails started shrilling and, soon after, I managed this shot.

Attachments

• P1000655pse.jpg
    P1000655pse.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 161
Was not able to get out very early this morning, in fact should not have gone out at all really, been ill most of week, but was just desperate to get out.

Titchwell RSPB

Lovely sunny day. Arrived too late in the morning to see the Slavonian Grebes for my year list but did see 4 Whooper Swans along the main bank, a single reed bunting feeding on the path along with a few others by the new embankment. On the sea 4 Eiders - not 82:-O - I saw 4 Eiders in the foreground and behind them was a whole line of what to me were female eiders through my streaming, cold filled eyes and Paul E. pointed out that they were in fact wigeon!;) looked through scope again and concentrated hard and saw colours correctly!!!!! - look properly Penelope!!! 1 Guillemot sitting on sea close in, 1 Great Northern Diver, couple of prob. red throated divers distantly, 3 Golden Eye close in, 1 grey plover, sanderlings, brents, oystercatchers and another 2 Eiders later on.

Left Titchwell and had to go to parents to borrow some cash for petrol as had forgotten my purse (never done this before) - just not with it today, should have stayed in bed. Cruised along the coast road, could not decide where to go in the failing light - watched a barn owl near Burnham Overy Staithe and finished up watching the pink feet coming down onto the marshes at Holkham and also saw 8 little egrets flying together in the sunset.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I notice birdguides now has a group on facebook. Birdforum next? http://www.facebook.com/pages/wwwbi...ll#/pages/wwwbirdguidescom/51755362289?ref=mf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back