• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Offshore Donegal 9-10 June 2007 (1 Viewer)

Mark Etheridge

Bird Shooter (With A Camera)
It has been an unusually good birding weekend out here in the Atlantic, 30 miles off Belmullet Head. At this time of year the peak of spring migration is usually over, but this weekend has seen a variety of species appearing on my offshore oil rig.

Although there is nothing particularly exciting, it was good to see some land birds - yesterday started off with a pair of Collared Doves and the resident Swallow which has been here for at least 10 days. We have had an infestation of flying insects during the present warm and settled weather, the Swallow has been making the most of the opportunity, roosting at night in the welder's shop despite the 24-hour activity which goes on in there. A Wheatear also showed up on Saturday, doing a fair impression of a Flycatcher as he joined in the insect feast.

This morning our resident Swallow was joined by a House Martin; they seemed particularly happy with each other's company, and spent a lot of time together preening on the awning over the forward lifeboats. It was nice to catch 3 species in my viewfinder when the Wheatear obligingly settled in front of the two hirundine chums; unfortunately in my hurry to grab the shot I didn't set the camera for increased depth of field, but you can see the result in one of the attached photos.

Also out over the sea as well as the usual Fulmars, Gannets, Kittiwakes and the commoner gull species, I had my first Great Skua of this season as well as a group of 4 Storm Petrels; when the House Martin took wing it was an ideal chance to contrast these two similar-looking species at a distance.

More photos at: http://marketheridge.photos.me.uk/

Regards
Mark

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 003a.jpg
    Picture 003a.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 113
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back