• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Bird Names Would You Change? (1 Viewer)

Chris

Oh, and change Chickadee to Tit in line with the rest of the world ( I know those in the colonies consider the word Tit to mean only one thing - or two - but, come on. We are all adults now - aren't we??????? )

C

I'm not including myself in that last statement, by the way ;)

C

Chris,

Only if you people in Palearctic are willing to change your 'divers' to 'loons'...

Carlos

Peregrine falcon - why not just peregrine?
Semipalmated sandpiper and plover - everyone calls them semi sand/sandpiper and semi plover, something shorter is needed
Red-bellied woodpecker - So many people call them red-headed woodpecker, maybe zebra woodpecker
Caspian Tern - found on every continent!
All the species named for a single location - philadelphia vireo, a bunch of warblers
American redstart- American orangestart

Last edited:
Semipalmated sandpiper and plover - everyone calls them semi sand/sandpiper and semi plover, something shorter is needed
Webbed Sandpiper / Plover? A bit over the top for those barely visible webs, but that's one way of recognising them... (Half-webbed sounds decidedly odd).

'red-bellied woodpecker' should be renamed 'red-capped' or 'vermillion-capped' woodpecker. On the lighter side, 'kinglets' should be renamed 'cuties' - e.g. ruby-crowned cutie. Japanese white-eye should be renamed 'tittering little cowardly bastards'.

All good stuff, but 'vermilion' surely - nothing to do with 7-digit numbers...:-O
MJB

I absolutely agree with Richard regarding those evocative eponyms.

I've always disliked 'Accentor' and would replace it with 'Dunnock' for all except Alpine Accentor.

As for 'Common' I'm not convinced with the proposed link to common land as suggested by Hotspur. Common also has the meaning 'ordinary' or even 'undistinguished' and I think this is the meaning here rather than 'frequent.

I've always disliked 'Accentor' and would replace it with 'Dunnock' for all except Alpine Accentor.

As for 'Common' I'm not convinced with the proposed link to common land as suggested by Hotspur. Common also has the meaning 'ordinary' or even 'undistinguished' and I think this is the meaning here rather than 'frequent.

I like the Dunnock idea, why not for Alpine though?

And lets replace "Common" with "Pleb" in all cases.;)

James

OK............................ but.................... Sparrows are Passer, Warblers are Old World, Blackbirds are Turdus merula and................. ;););)

Chris

Ok, so we'll call our sparrows buntings... however, we get to keep using warblers because... well, quite frankly... ours are so much nicer. So the old world birds get to be 'Sylvias' or 'Acros' or whatever you are already calling them. Plus, all your warblers are a heterogeneous hodgepodge of different bird families, anyways, so it makes perfect sense to me to make a big rehaul.

Don't you like the ring of Dartford Sylvia or Clamorous Reed-Acro or even Cetti's Cettia?

Carlos

My understanding has always been that "Common Gull" & "Common Sandpiper" were so named because, unlike most other gulls and sandpipers in the UK, they were "common" inland as well as on the coast.

There was a time when Lear's Macaw was changed to the blander Indigo Macaw, i'm glad to see it's been changed back!

Same with Chestnut-eared Finch for Zebra Finch which has again been changed back now the Timor subspecies has been re-lumped with the Australian subspecies.

My understanding has always been that "Common Gull" & "Common Sandpiper" were so named because, unlike most other gulls and sandpipers in the UK, they were "common" inland as well as on the coast.

I think that's right.

I have to say that 'Common Gull' is not the most apt name, but it is far better than the plain ugly 'Mew Gull'!

I think that's right.

I have to say that 'Common Gull' is not the most apt name, but it is far better than the plain ugly 'Mew Gull'!

Agreed not a very euphonious name, but it is an interesting one, since "mew" is simply an archaic word for "gull". "Mew Gull", therefore, equals "Gull Gull", i.e. the "ordinary" or "common" gull, the one that most people not living on the coast saw most frequently. I for one would be very sad to see quirky names of this sort disappear, however "ugly".

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back