• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland in early June? (1 Viewer)

michaelmorris

My wife and I are thinking about having a short break in Northumberalnd over the spring half-term holiday. Apart from the Farne Islands, where else is good in this part of the world for birdwatching at this time of year?

Thanks

Mike

The area around Druridge Bay should be good then, Michael. Reserves on the coast at Hauxley, East Chevington, Druridge Pools and Cresswell Pond. The roseate terns and puffins will be back on Coquet Island at the north end of the bay then and there are boat trips out to see the colony (from the boat only - landing isn't permitted) that set out from Amble at regular intervals.

The hill country isn't too far away either, only about 45 minutes drive to the Harthope Valley just south of Wooler for grouse and woodland and moor birds.

Last edited:
Hi Michael

As an occasional visitor to Northumberland I can guarantee you'll love it. Have a look at the Opus articles - they'll certainly whet your appetite!

D

Hi Mike whereabouts will you be staying the size of our county often suprises visitors?

Hi D interesting Opus articles will do a North Pennines one (with pics)

Stewart

Sorry to hijack this thread. I come up most years and am planning this years trip. How early do the roseates and puffins arrive?

Thanks in anticipation,

Hugh

Hi Mike whereabouts will you be staying the size of our county often suprises visitors?
Stewart

Hi Stewart.
We haven't finally settled on it yet, but the most likely areas are Amble and Bamburgh. We're looking a renting out a small studio flat or cottage for a week, so we'll a reasonable amount of time to explore the area.

We visited the area about 15 years ago years ago and went to Bamburgh and Holy Island. However, in those days we had 3 kids in tow so walks, nature watching and houses and castles had be tempered with beachy things.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread. I come up most years and am planning this years trip. How early do the roseates and puffins arrive?

Thanks in anticipation,

Hugh

Puffins usually turn up about the last week in March, disappear for a few days than come back before vanishing in early August.

Roseates arrive in early to mid-May and last through the summer into September.

Puffins can start arriving as early as mid-March, although it's usually nearer the end of the month. Egg-laying begins around the end of April, and the birds can be very erratic in their presence around breeding sites before then.

Roseates start egg-laying from late May, and are erratic in appearance around the colony prior to that. Once the young have fledged (starting early July) there should be birds roosting on the mainland, although this is unpredictable both in terms of numbers and location.

Mid-late June would be a good time to be sure of seeing both species around Coquet Island.

cheers
martin

Thanks in anticipation,

Hugh

Hi D interesting Opus articles will do a North Pennines one (with pics)

Stewart

Hi Stewart

That'd be grand, thanks very much.

Hope you're both keeping well.

D

Thanks in anticipation,

Hugh

Terms of Use
"Please stay on topic as far as possible. If you want to discuss a different subject, start a new thread - don't hijack someone else’s thread."

Terms of Use
"Please stay on topic as far as possible. If you want to discuss a different subject, start a new thread - don't hijack someone else’s thread."

Aren't you a cheery soul?

You asked where was good in June, I repled giving additional advice on puffins and roseates, someone else asked for an expansion on my reply.

Very much on topic, I'd have thought and not a hijack at all.

I'll close now.

Terms of Use

But most of all lets keep threads in the Northumbrian Birding Thread box instead of starting a new one that is why the above thread was started to keep it all together

I have apologised to Mike in response to his pm to me and apologise to any others I have offended. In my defence I am hoping to get up this spring again so thought an elaboration of this post might be allowed. Obviously not for which I apologise.

Hugh

There are a number of threads requesting info about Northumberland. It's not really surprising that people see them and are interested in expanded info about the topic under discussion, and local birders up here are always willing to pass on information and advice. Good luck with any other RFI's you post.

martin

Terms of Use

I have apologised to Mike in response to his pm to me and apologise to any others I have offended. In my defence I am hoping to get up this spring again so thought an elaboration of this post might be allowed. Obviously not for which I apologise.

Hugh

Hugh
Sorry mate, it should be me with the 'Grumps' moniker. You caught me on a seriously cr@p day. :storm:

I'm sure you haven't offended anyone. Just me being a bit of an @~*&hole!

Everyone else, thanks for the really useful replies.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back