• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox HG’s on sale (1 Viewer)

Nivado

Hello,

There are currently some interesting offers on Minox HG’s.
For example : 499€ for a demo model, both in 8x33 and 8x43.
Are they worth the cost?
Does anyone has experience with dees models?
And what are they comparable to?
Are they in the same class as, Lets say: Conquest HD, Trinovid HD? Or more like Terra ed?

Grtz

Id say they are at least as good as the Conquest HD...in my opinion closer to true alpha quality ..they were due for a upgrade but instead..they have been closing them out for the last couple years ….the new owners are regulating Minox to being a medium grade bin producer...no more HG or HG APO are being produced....BL HD models or lower only.........a real shame

BTW...I don't own either of the ones you mention but do have the 10x43 and the 8x56....very happy with them....:t:

Last edited:
Ow, that's probably the reason why they're cheaper now.
I remember they once costed 800-900Euros.. Back than, I gave the APO HG 8x43 a quick look and they were very nice, but that's a long time since, so I don't remember well.
I'll check the HG's out again, maybe next week, if I go to the optics store(If they still have them).
I've read that Minox has very good quality control en after sales service so than I would guess u can't go wrong with one of the HG's at such a low price..

Indeed, that's a pity. I think most of the people tend to go with a more 'familiar' brand like Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica. Maybe it is underestimation.. Back where I live, I don't see much birders with a Minox hanging around their neck.

Are those new BL HDs any good? That 10x44 looks interesting.

Grtz

A sporting goods conglomerate named Blaser....mostly good quality lines but way overpriced for what they are....think the word profiteers comes to mind....

James and Gunny
Neither Minox nor Blaser make binos. What binos they market and where they are made is managed by German Sports Optics. Blaser (thats blah-ser btw not blay-ser) is in the same group as Mauser and SIG Sauer.

Lee

The samples of MIGermany HGs were optically superior than the original Made in Japan versions (at least the samples I hold or held) but I much prefer the MIJs smaller eyecups, people with more space between their cheekbones and brow ridge than me will have no problem with the later MIGs that are probably what is being sold off now.

Are they fully manufactured and assembled in Germany? Or just put together with Japanse parts?
Not that it would matter I guess..

those that should know aren't saying...all corporate hush hush you know.....all I can say is I liked my first HG [10x43] so much I bought a second [8x56]....did find them both on sale a few years back.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back