• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stuffed Birds on Ebay (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I've posted about this before, I've also complained to ebay before.

This particular seller, has a huge range of species for sale with the highly, dubious claim that they were all, raised in captivity including Marsh Harrier, European Bee-eater, Woodpeckers, White Wagtail and Golden Oriole, just scroll down the page to see his specimens.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taxiderm...ithBBEV1Filter&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I suspect that this guy is probably being supplied by a hunter and it would be good if members could write in to ebay and complain about this seller and others like him.

Last edited:
I would call the authorities. At least in Spain even the possession of feathers of a protected species can get you in trouble.

And in theory this

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed. But if the authorities are on notice they can try to intercept the shippings at the customs.

Ebay should have a blanket ban on this stuff, there's no way that such a volume of specimens are being obtained legally.

There are also bids coming out of China in large numbers, Ebay have no interest in stopping it, it seems.

Good topic.

I have just reported this to the WWF illegal wildlife trade reporting. I guess they know what can and cannot be legally done against this.

In case no results can be achieved legally, eBay should simply be named and shamed publicly until they stop listing items like this.

Good topic.

I have just reported this to the WWF illegal wildlife trade reporting. I guess they know what can and cannot be legally done against this.

In case no results can be achieved legally, eBay should simply be named and shamed publicly until they stop listing items like this.

Well done,
I wish that more, so called wildlife enthusiasts, would be more proactive, it doesn't take long.

Its so sad these Activitys still carry on when they should have ceased back in the 1920,s or 30,s for birds that is and any wildlife given the chance, so pleased I don,t use ebay.

In this case "some of us" and "we" very obviously applies to myself and like minded individuals.

So, "done". Happy now? Why do you have to be such an arse all the time?

Well done,
I wish that more, so called wildlife enthusiasts, would be more proactive, it doesn't take long.

Thanks for raising this Andy. I ‘voiced a concern’ on this link:

https://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

saying:

“Please remove stuffed birds from your items for sale. There is no way of ascertaining whether these birds were hunted illegally for the lucrative taxidermy market or were captive birds that died of natural causes. Ebay should exercise a precautionary approach in view of the above. Thankyou.”

(Done ;))

Thanks for raising this Andy. I ‘voiced a concern’ on this link:

https://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

saying:

“Please remove stuffed birds from your items for sale. There is no way of ascertaining whether these birds were hunted illegally for the lucrative taxidermy market or were captive birds that died of natural causes. Ebay should exercise a precautionary approach in view of the above. Thankyou.”

(Done ;))

Thanks Deb,
normal good manners, I'm not the arse here.

In this case "some of us" and "we" very obviously applies to myself and like minded individuals.

So, "done". Happy now? Why do you have to be such an arse all the time?

You're the one being the arse with yout first reply.

If you write to me in such terms, you'll get the same back, and people wonder why I'm pissed off on here most of the time.

Last edited:
Just because some of us don't respond on the thread, it doesn't mean we aren't doing anything.

This was my first reply. If you think that makes me an arse you really do need to get a grip.

Some of us are proactive about challenging this sort of stuff all the time and the fact we don't necessarily respond to your thread does not mean we have a "lack of interest", nor does it mean we are "so called wildlife enthusiasts".

If you want another explanation of who "some of us" and "we" are in the above sentence, I'll leave you to try and work it out for yourself. It really shouldn't be difficult for someone of your obvious intelligence.

I received a message from WWF yesterday:

I can confirm that I have passed this over to TRAFFIC. They help to tackle the Illegal Wildlife Trade and will investigate this further and take the right action going forward, so you have done the right thing letting us know!

Some of us are proactive about challenging this sort of stuff all the time

Personally I am actually too busy ‘challenging’ stuff that runs contrary to environmental and wildlife protection, to keep track of everything Andrea, which is why imo it’s good to post stuff here - there may be hundreds of members who may not be aware of this issue as they don’t buy stuff off Ebay - I don’t and didn’t until Andy posted. I hope btw, you didn’t mean to imply by your comments that those of us that have responded to this issue here, are not being also like yourself, proactive elsewhere because it could be read like like that (although I’m sure that wasn’t your intention! )

Yushan :t:!

.....I hope btw, you didn’t mean to imply by your comments that those of us that have responded to this issue here, are not being also like yourself, proactive elsewhere because it could be read like like that (although I’m sure that wasn’t your intention! )

No, not my intention at all. Whilst I try to do as much as I can I suspect many members here do much more than I can manage.

I'm also pleased that a member posted it here as I was previously unaware of this particular issue.

What was unnecessary was the implication by the original poster that there was a lack of interest in the issue simply because not many people actually replied to the thread, along with the jibe about "so called wildlife enthusiasts".

What was unnecessary was the implication by the original poster that there was a lack of interest in the issue simply because not many people actually replied to the thread, along with the jibe about "so called wildlife enthusiasts".

Perhaps a Bob Geldorf ( Live Aid ) moment, when he felt not enough people were responding.

Just received the following response from Ebay

Thank you for contacting eBay. My name is Harshit and I'm glad to address your concern regarding the sale of Taxidermy items on eBay.

I fully understand how you feel about this situation and I would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I completely appreciate your time and effort.

We share your concerns about the trade of endangered and illegal animal parts. Our policy reflects our commitment to animal welfare and the protection of native, endangered, and threatened species.

eBay has strict regulations when listing stuffed animals of the site and our policy is even more strict than local laws. This policy helps ensure that important government regulations are followed.

For most species, Sellers need to ensure that they have the necessary government permits to sell these items.

Additionally, any endangered, and threatened species are not allowed on eBay. eBay urges its sellers and buyers to comply with all governmental laws and regulations.

If you happened to see any items which may violate our policy, you may report them to us by going to this link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/questions/how-report-violation.html

If you wish to know more about our policy on 'Animals and Wildlife', you can refer the below given link:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/wildlife.html

Once again, we extend our warm appreciation for your report. We hope that you'll never get tired of helping us keep eBay a safe and reputable place to buy and sell.

Kind regards,

Harshit P.
eBay Trust & Safety

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back