• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN 1 SLR adapter? Anyone used one? (1 Viewer)

devs

Hi guys, I'm a keen photographer and wondered if anyone had any sample images taken via an SLR using a kowa tsn 1?

Would love to see how the images look?

Many thanks :)

Hello,

I would not expect any excellent outcoming with that combo. TSN-1 is not a fluorite scope, so chromatic aberration is high using a camera on it, but the view will be O.K. with naked eye. Try TSN-3 or 4 with fluorite lens, that is O.K. with DSLR and basic objective (50mm f 1,8) for digiscoping.

Vámi

Last edited:
Hello,
I would not expect any excellent outcoming with that combo. TSN-1 is not a fluorite scope, so chromatic aberration is high using a camera on it, but the view will be O.K. with naked eye. Try TSN-3 or 4 with fluorite lens, that is O.K. with DSLR and basic objective (50mm f 1,8) for digiscoping
Vámi

Agree that results would be questionable, I wouldn't use it for that purpose - however it is the OP's first spotting scope so needs to find out its capabilities.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Hello,

It is a resized, cropped picture with Pink-footed geese, made in zero light with TSN-3 and Nikon D7100 50mm f1,8 in Oudega, Netherlands last November.

Hello,

I would not expect any excellent outcoming with that combo. TSN-1 is not a fluorite scope, so chromatic aberration is high using a camera on it, but the view will be O.K. with naked eye. Try TSN-3 or 4 with fluorite lens, that is O.K. with DSLR and basic objective (50mm f 1,8) for digiscoping. Handheld, no adapter between the scope and camera.

Vámi

Hi,

for classic digiscoping, that is by having a camera with objective behind the scope and EP, a TSN-1 will probably not deliver great results as the magnification is too great.
A body with an ED or fluorite element will be preferable.

The trick is to use either just the camera body behind the scope and EP - Kowa makes an adapter for that - or the old TLS APO which basically turns your scope into an 800mm f8 manual tele. Both of these end into T mount, so you need a T2 adapter for your camera too.

That way the magnification is not too high (in case of the eyepiece adapter you want to keep the zoom EP at low mag) and it's quite nice... see the examples in the Kowa commercials...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ei4bv6rt-8

and some examples of actual digiscoping (with an objective on the camera) and an example of too high magnification with the zoom at 60x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpzeTZF6OYU

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back