• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss (W. Germany) Serial numbers - just got 2ndhand Dialyt 8x30b bins! (1 Viewer)

sammyboy

I've just bought a secondhand pair of Zeiss Dialyt 8x30b binoculars off Ebay - can't wait to recieve them and take them to our local sanctuary and try them out!

I'm after a bit of info on them though, specifically the if I can roughly date the bins on the serial number, like the Carl Zeiss Jena models. This is so I can get an idea of what kind of coatings the bins have on them - the serial number is 745125 which from what I can gather is an earlyish number?

Any help appreciated :t:

Just realised that there's both Porro and roof versions of this - mine's the roof version!

Paid £115 Inc post on eBay, good price or not? They need new eyecups and an external clean but otherwise good according to the description and sellers replies to questions.

Hi,
I've an old Dialyt 8x30B that used to belong to my grandfather. Recently I emailed Zeiss about the age (Serial 897889) and the answer was 1972.
So yours is probably even older.
I also asked your question in another forum, and the answer was that T* and Phase correction coatings were only added to the dialyt in 80s.
It's definitly one of the most beautiful binolculars and it's also still useable, but of course can't compare with any modern binocular. I still use mine when I have to give my new Leicas to my wife (the condition if she's to join me for birding) and they are ok, the most bothering is a considerable amount of flare.
I also had to change the eyecups and Zeiss also did an adjustment and adding grease to the focus mechanism (of both i don't see any difference, so could have saved that).
Enjoy them!
Florian

Thanks dalat, I had a feeling this was an early model! It's a leather covered one too, no rubber armouring which I also believe came later in the production run after doing some googling!

Have i paid about right (£115) for these by the way?

Have i paid about right (£115) for these by the way?

The only other pair of these I can find a reference for sold for £206.

Better condition than yours, but £90 difference for a pair of eyecups and a bit of cleaning sounds like you got a bargain. :t:

That's what I thought - haven't received the Dialyts yet but from what questions the seller answered the optics are clear which was my main concern, bit of time with a damp cloth will be worth it. The eye broken rubber eyepieces aren't a problem either - in fact could be an advantage as I wear glasses! :D

sammyboy: subject to condition, £115 looks like a bargain. Googling appears to indicate the Zeiss 8x30B Dialyt was produced from April 1964; the rubber-armoured version (GA) from June 1968; the T* from August 1983; P* added in 1988. Seems yours is from the late 1960s. Dalat's comment that it "of course can't compare with any modern binocular" is perhaps too sweeping, although I 'get the drift'; some of the 1960s stuff, despite not having multi-coating, can be surprisingly good optically and sufficiently satisfying in use. Remember the likes of Leitz, Nikon and Zeiss were making superb camera lenses back in the Swingin' Sixties, the Zeiss Contarex lenses being legendary. On a test bench the old lenses are demonstrably inferior to modern T*/P*/SMC/ED optics, but that doesn't mean the 'oldies' can't do a satisfactory job such as birdwatching. One thing's for sure: build quality of the old Dialyt is 'dialytful': just compare it with (say) a modern Conquest; they are both nice but, as dalat rightly says, the Dialyt is beautiful, elegant even, though not quite as svelte perhaps as the old Leitz Trinovids. The Dialyt is fairly well sealed against moisture but I'd advise judicious use of a 'damp cloth'. A silicone shoe-shine pad/sponge works wonders on the binocular's leatherette covering and case, almost like new! As to the rubber eye-cups, you may be able to obtain replacements from Zeiss (worth a try).

Dalat's comment that it "of course can't compare with any modern binocular" is perhaps too sweeping

I guess you are right here. Of course if you compare with a modern Zeiss, you'll feel the 40 years of difference.
However compared to a modern binocular in the range of 100-150 €, I think the Dialyt still does look good.

I've just bought a secondhand pair of Zeiss Dialyt 8x30b binoculars off Ebay - can't wait to recieve them and take them to our local sanctuary and try them out!

I'm after a bit of info on them though, specifically the if I can roughly date the bins on the serial number, like the Carl Zeiss Jena models. This is so I can get an idea of what kind of coatings the bins have on them - the serial number is 745125 which from what I can gather is an earlyish number?

Any help appreciated :t:

mak

mak: Your succinct reply would benefit others by some elucidation. I've searched for a post-WW2 (Zeiss West) + post-1991 (Zeiss) table of serial numbers for their binoculars, but to no avail, yet Zeiss Jena production figures/serial numbers are quite easily found. Please enlighten us, we beseech thee...

Oh, sammyboy, the posts, the posts are calling... While we wait patiently for somebody to illuminate with divine light the murk of Zeiss serial numbers, have you received your 39 years old Zeiss 8x30B Dialyt yet?

Rather frustratingly no, not yet! Am hopeful they'll arrive tomorrow. Will let you know when they do, I might do a little review and/or pics if anyone's interested in a review of 39 year old bins? Can't wait to get them... When they eventually arrive! :p

Rather frustratingly no, not yet! Am hopeful they'll arrive tomorrow. Will let you know when they do, I might do a little review and/or pics if anyone's interested in a review of 39 year old bins? Can't wait to get them... When they eventually arrive! :p

I'm sure any review will be welcomed here.

Comparative (or quantitative) reviews are best. If you can compare it to modern bins (comparable bins) that others may have they may be able to get a feel for what it's like.

If you can compare it to more modern Zeiss bins (8x30 Conquest or 8x32 FL or similar) might also show Zeiss progress.

Of course this depends a lot on which bins you have that you can get you hands on (not just your own but fellow birders too).

Hi,
as I have the same binoculars, I can make a few comments about that.

My other two bins are an 15 years old 10x42 Porro "Adlerblick" from Esde Optik (a not so known German company) which costed 450 DM (220 Euro) at that time. Since half a year I also own a Ultravid 8x42 HD.

The Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B from 1972, I would rate it better than the Esde, but the Ultravid is obviously the best.

The image of the Dialyt is quite bright and sharp, both is better than the Esde, but the Ultravid is clearly sharper and brighter. Most bothering in the Dialyt is the considerable amount of flare in difficult light conditions, but if you got the sun behind you, the image is great. The Dialyt has the pincussion distorsion typical for european bins, like the other two as well. Can't say much about edge-to-edge shaprness, because I don't really care about that.

A problem for me is that the eyecups do not fit, neither flipped down nor left in normal postition. I have to flip them down and hold them in a little distance from my eyes. But i think that's due to the shape of my face, also the eyecups of the Ultravids I need to put them half way between up and all down (even if the eyecups have no intermediate lock positions, it works fine).

The focus of the Dialyt is quite stiff and it's a thin focus wheel, so focussing is not that easy and comfortable than with the big and smoothly running Ultravid wheel. But the Dialyt focus is quite precise, unlike the Esde Porro.

And looking at the bin, the Dialyt is clearly the winner. I'll make some pics and attach them later...

Last edited:
Hi,

There is no list available where Zeiss West binoculars' models and serial numbers are linked to years of production (and/or delivery dates). So I made one myself, by collecting data from all kinds of sources, mostly eBay. Took me some years, and while my dbase is not perfect (at one point I decided to slow down a bit of fear to end up in mental hospital) I'm able to predict things pretty accurately. Even more accurate than Zeiss itself, I'd say. What you need, next to sn's, are the years of production of models (and their updates) and certain landmarks, for instance changes in coating or special editions introduced in a specific year.
With respect to the Zeiss West 8x30B Dialyt, in general there are two types, differing in shape and size. The first is the long version, made from 1964 through 1969, the second is the short version, made from 1969 on. See the pictures attached. The short type was modified several times: T-coating, P-coating, black armour. There have been changes in nomenclature also, but these are of minor consequence.
Of great help in dating these early 8x30 Dialyts is a special edition issued in 1971 to commemmorate Zeiss' 125th anniversary. The serial numbers on these types are round about # 898391, so everything higher or lower is newer resp. older.

cheers,

Renze

Attachments

• Dialyt 8x30B long.jpg
    Dialyt 8x30B long.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 743
  • Dialyt 8x30B short (1b).jpg
    Dialyt 8x30B short (1b).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
The bins STILL haven't arrived yet! :(

Will do a review when I finally get them - will compare them to my late '70s Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50s, Nikon Sportlite 10x25s, and a cheap pair of Barska 8x40 WA porros I have. Sadly I don't know any fellow birders so can't compare with their glass (I tend to do a lot of backgarden birding but hoping to expand that a bit!)

No more modern roofs though to compare with, might save for a secondhand pair of Leicas or some new Zeiss 8x30s hopefully!

Nice review Dalat - and that info on different Dialyts will come in handy Renze, thanks all :)

Hooray, they've just arrived! Lenses were dirty so gave them a clean, coatings intact though it looks like one of the objective lenses is separating a bit. Rest of the bins are filthy - but a good clean with some shoe polish as suggested by James Bean should bring them right up!

First impressions - took them into the back garden - and wow! I think they're better than my 10x50 Jenoptems view wise, couldn't see much CA, nice sharp, wide and bright view. Close focus seems to be about 2.5 metres, focussing seems smooth and easy - though whilst testing the close focus the focus wheel kept turning once I'd reached min distance, is it supposed to do that?

Despite my wearing glasses I'll probably have to replace those eyecups though, I found that I was getting 'blackouts' if I hold the Dialyts right up to my glasses so have to hold them ever so slightly away from my eyes.

Overall very impressed for a 40-odd year old pair of glasses, though I haven't looked through any modern, phase-corrected glass so can't compare it to modern bins. Will have to go out and find a fellow birder with some expensive binoculars and ask him very nicely!

Looking at those pictures it seems I have the 'long' variant of the Dialyt, so these must be a very early version, so maybe mid '60s?

A few pics of the Dialyts in their current condition, including that lens with the separating:

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 564
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back