• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Identification Needed. Wren or something in North Dakota (1 Viewer)

manfred0034

Hi,
This is a bird that I filmed in North Dakota. Recently. It was just on a tree staring at me for a long time. Then it started really pecking at the tree. Maybe trying to get something. I don't know what kind of bird this is. Please don't tell me it is a marsh wren! I think I have seen this same looking bird in the Summer. But now it is winter and its feathers look darker grey coloured. Unless I am confusing this with another type of bird. Also is the chirping sound in the background this same bird but somewhere else? Thanks. Hopefully this is a bird that you guys can identify. It was small you can't see its legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MlHrxuQ-0&feature=youtu.be

Surely this is a red-breasted nuthatch, with the black stripe over the eye and distinct white supercilium?

As I see it, there is a broad white cheek with a break between feather tracts below, not the narrow white supercilium of a Red-breasted Nuthatch. And I think from this angle we should see at least some reddish on the breast, if it were a Red-Breasted.

Gentlemen. Thanks. Well so it is a nuthatch! Of some kind. I guess to me it does not matter which kind. Maybe the white breasted and the red breasted nuthatch have mated and they have a newer one. Like a morph. Hybrid. Here is another video. A little bit closer of the same bird. I don't know if this helps. I won't be able to tell the difference. I guess this nuthatch is something I have seen in the summer too. But in the winter they are apparently easier to film and not as flytsy. Probably still something that Carson Wentz would care less about, it's not a deer! I almost thought this bird was trying to peck a bat cave into the tree. It was really into that one spot. to me its breast looks yellow. Neither white or red. I guess my next question would be what kind of tree is this bird on? A cherry blossom? An Oak? We might have to call Jim Bridenstein on this one! Is there a taxonomical difference here or are these superficial.. In looks.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAJBw99t058&feature=youtu.be

There are no records of two species of nuthatch mating and successfully producing offspring.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back