• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passerines Perth (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

I have spent the last couple of days in the Parks and gardens around Perth City. I have seen very few passerines (small birds). lots of others. Am I just unlucky or not looking close enough.

Mike

LOL this is the ID forum! I'll move your post to the Australia forum. I've subscribed you to the thread so you'll be able to find it easily.

I spent 30+ yrs in Oz, not as a birder but in bush and did get to Perth a few times. I can only note generally that the smaller birds were shy and if larger birds such as crows, maggies or butcherbirds and shrikes were around they would disappear. I also noticed that the smaller birds tended to travel via bushes and low level understory rather than in the open. They also lie low in the heat of day. So your general question gets a general answer, go bush and sit very, very quietly. Just be careful of snakes.

I am not certain, that you'd see a huge variety of smaller passerines in city areas, especially if you don't necessarily know what to look for and where. Search E-bird for the parks you have visited and see what you should be finding. Perhaps they are rather limited with the number of species.

Maybe try Kings Park Botanic Garden:
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1002718

Mike,

Spend a few hours walking around Lake Joondalup should get you lots of passerines. Burns beach foreshore is a nice walk, lots of White Winged Fairy Wrens. Kings Park is always full of passerines.

Cheers

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back