• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Tailed/Keeled Skimmer ID help please (1 Viewer)

ivewalmer

Hi,

Grateful if someone out there could confirm/dash my IDs for the two photos below. The first one I think is a Black Tailed Skimmer and was taken on 19/07 at a pond at a Chalky undercliff area in East Kent:

Attachments

• dscn2252 copy (medium).jpg
    dscn2252 copy (medium).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 196
Next one was taken today 22/07 at an Acid bog site in SE Kent and I suspect it is a Keeled Skimmer. ID help very welcome as I am new to the delights of Dragonflies! Thanks in advance folks!

Ivan

Attachments

• dscn2329 copy (medium).jpg
    dscn2329 copy (medium).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 191
Hi Ivan,
I think the first one might be a Scarce Chaser (black frons) instead of Black-tailed Skimmer (yellow frons). Spot on with the Keeled Skimmer.

Ivewalmer,
I think the first one is a black-tailed skimmer. Scarce chaser would have dark blobs at the base of the hindwings and I think I can see a trace of yellow spots along the sides of the abdomen.
I agree that the second one is a keeled skimmer (you can just make out the golden pterostigma on the right forewing and the habitat is right).
But I'm a novice, so let's wait for a more expert opinion!
PS Nice pix :clap:

Nope, you're right again Surreybirder. I brightened up the image in 'photoshop' and could clearly see the 'nail' mark on the thorax and the bits that I took to be dark panels on the hindwings were actually shadows! And yes, it's got yellow spots on the sides of the abdomen. I agree with Black-tailed Skimmer now.
Stonking photos btw.

I find a useful feature with Keeled Skimmer is that they tend to hold their wings much further forward than other similar species. Your photo show one doing just this

Darrell

The first species is definately Black-tailed Skimmer. There would be obvious black basal markings to the wings for it to be Scarce Chaser. The photo seems a tad underexposed which might give the appearance of a dark frons. Also the habitat is spot on for Black-tailed, Scarce Chaser prefers slow flowing rivers.
Second one is correct, as Surreybirder mentioned you can see the golden pterostigma and the habitat is right.
Cheers,

Steve.

You slipped in there quick with your replies, making mine redundant! By the way CJW I see you're a Led Zep fan - after my own heart. Just bought the new DVD with all previously unreleased film - heaven!!
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back