• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Lakenheath (1 Viewer)

Birdbox

staringin2thevoid
Anyone fancy sticking their neck out and advising me on the best way of "working" Lakenheath during a day's birding?

Obviously early morning is best.
In terms of where to go-- there is a circular walk that goes through the reserve past to viewpoint shelters and then back down the riverbank.
Call in at reserve centre for map and up to date information.

If you've not been before, it is quite a large reserve. I was there yesterday and spent 5 hours just going out to the furthest viewpoint and back. The Orioles were showing well and I got sightings of bittern, beardies, cuckoo and plenty of hobbies and harriers. The main trail takes you past stands of poplars and reedbeds. There are two viewpoints with shelters and seats. It is easy to spend an hour at the furthest one at Joist Fen (the best place for a glimpse of cranes). There is also a good spot for Orioles which you will discover when you get there and his can swallow up to an hour. You can return via the riverbank if you wish or return the way you came. The riverbank gives an elevated view of the reserve and also allows you to scan the washes for Garganey etc.
I'd would advise early arrival (pre 8am) as the car park has been heaving lately.

Good luck.

Thanks. Just follow the route then, eh. Just wondered if there were any foibles I need to know about. There are usually, but you don't discover them 'til too late.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back