• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK, I've Chosen My Horse! (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
4th Oct. After being out with a group in the winds yesterday it was rather pleasant to be out on patch alone this afternoon where calm had returned and the sun continued to shine, at least most of the time! I took a photo of the Rowan opposite my house.

The first thing I noticed as I walked through the church grounds was that there were a number of Red Admiral Butterflies about. On my return walk I found more in the small park area. What I have read so far suggests that this has been a good year for butterflies, blip or not. I did read somewhere that it had not necessarily been a good year for Red Admirals although I’ve seen lots. The second most important thing on my walk was a horse. Anyone who reads this blog, and I hope someone does, will remember I fancied getting myself a horse to ride around the patch and further a field. I have decided against the racehorse I recently spotted at ..... and my heart has been well and truly drawn to one I saw today. Tis in the photograph. This one I think would do me nicely. As you’ll note it is a little tubby and small. The tubbiness will I feel slow it down a bit on gallops and over jumps and this will be good until I get more riding experience. Its back is not to far off the ground either and this will save me the cost of any mechanical aids to lift me on it. I think I could manage a Frankie Dettori jump onto and from this one. I’m so taken with this horse I’m already thinking of suitable names for my equine companion.

The Grey Heron was in its usual place next to the smaller lake. There was no sign of the Great Crested Grebes. At least one adult and two juvenile birds remain on the larger lake however. The numbers of Common Gull are beginning to increase and as usual there was large numbers of Black Headed Gulls. Other birds seen were Mute Swans (the numbers seem to increase every time I visit!), Greylag Geese (2), Canada Geese, Mallard, Tufted Duck (numbers increasing), Coot and Moorhen. I noticed a different Grey Heron fly over and a Grey Wagtail flew across the lake. I also noticed the Brown Rats were around in number. As I walked past the small patch of reed one was startled by me and appeared to jump slightly into the air and scurry of at some speed. There were people sitting on the bench nearby so I had to appear ‘cool’ about this. Thank God it didn’t run towards me! They can certainly shift when need be. I passed some guys playing cricket and from the style of one or two of the players I think I have hope left yet as to my fitness! Perhaps they had been to the pub prior to the game.

As I walked home I thought I was going to get a smashing photo of a rainbow across ....., but it faded quickly so I failed with that one. There was little bird activity today to be honest and I saw very few passerines.

Attachments

• IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I did enjoy reading your report, Brian & seeing the photo's.
Rats are OK, we have some in our garden.
That pony has got to be one of the strangest I have ever seen, regarding it's confirmation. It's legs are far to short for it's body & it's head far too big.
I think one of these would suit you better.:-O
Nice confirmation, small head, legs in proportion to body, they are pony sized, but up to weight & we used them for Riding For The Disabled, so they are very quiet/gentle equines.o:D
Sorry you dipped out with the rainbow.

I did enjoy reading your report, Brian & seeing the photo's.
Rats are OK, we have some in our garden.
That pony has got to be one of the strangest I have ever seen, regarding it's confirmation. It's legs are far to short for it's body & it's head far too big.
I think one of these would suit you better.:-O
Nice confirmation, small head, legs in proportion to body, they are pony sized, but up to weight & we used them for Riding For The Disabled, so they are very quiet/gentle equines.o:D
Sorry you dipped out with the rainbow.

Now now Val, that's no way to talk about my horse! The name I have decided upon is 'Champion'. Thanks a lot for the link, and some very nice horses on there too, but my heart is now with Champion, my wonder horse!:king:

Champion it is, for you then Brian, I must admit he will blend into the background with that colouring, :t: so birding shouldn't be a problem from his back. I do hope he doesn't walk out from under you though, when you ask him to stand still.:eek!:|:d|

An interesting report on your afternoon walk, Brian! Always nice to have time to one's self and enjoy a walk in the sunshine. Good to see you still have a few butterflies around! Nice pics, especially the pony, Champion is a good name!

I misread Vals report & thought she said "gentle engines" Now, I know you have your heart set on Champion the wonder why...oop's sorry, horse,
but I cant help thinking that "Gentle Engine" is a lovely name Bri!

I misread Vals report & thought she said "gentle engines" Now, I know you have your heart set on Champion the wonder why...oop's sorry, horse,

:-O:-O:t:eek::D

No, I've made my decision and after all it is my horse! Gentle Engine sounds more like a Greyhound to me.8-P I see Pam like the name Champion. Champion it will remain.

I take it you all remember Champion the Wonder Horse from T V in the fifties?;) Around the same period as the Lone Ranger's Silver. (or so I'm told!!!)

I'm wondering about riding bareback, but I feel it may be getting a bit too cold now that autumn is with us.:eek!:eek::D

No, I've made my decision and after all it is my horse! Gentle Engine sounds more like a Greyhound to me.8-P I see Pam like the name Champion. Champion it will remain.

I take it you all remember Champion the Wonder Horse from T V in the fifties?;) Around the same period as the Lone Ranger's Silver. (or so I'm told!!!)
I'm wondering about riding bareback, but I feel it may be getting a bit too cold now that autumn is with us.:eek!:eek::D

Yes, Champion & Silver I do remember & Trigger & even Mr Ed.:-O

Try a blanket, it might help.|:d|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back