• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the library... (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
In #33 of the thread Etymologies: the beginning of the end, or... I indicated that my original swathe of unseen descriptions and diagnoses (see that thread, and also, amongst others, the threads, Etymological challenges; More etymological challenges; and Etymologies (part 2); ...the end of the beginning) had been reduced to just less than one page. In #35 of the same thread Björn suggested that an update be provided. The following have been listed before, so apologies in advance, but here is the rump of my Diagnoses and Descriptions Unseen:

Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis. Tokyo.
1927 Cinclus pallasii itooi Momiyama, 1, p. 54
1927 Turdus eunomus ni Momiyama, 1, p. 141
Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1944 Goura scheepmakeri wadai Yamashina, 14 (1), p. 1
●Buturlin, S. A. 1929. Sistematicheskiye zametki o ptitsakh Severnogo Kavkaza.
1929 Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin, p. 15
Dobutsugaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tametomo Momiyama, 35, p. 412
1940 Turdus aureus miharagokko Momiyama, 52, p. 462
Ezhegodnik Muzeya Poltavskogo Gubernskogo Zemstva 1914-1915. Poltava.
1917 Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 3-4, pp. 82+
The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts; embracing Mineralogy, Geology, Natural History, Physics, &c.
1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87
Jahresberichte über die Wirksamkeit und den Zustand der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft in Emden.
1851 Turdus mure Kreling, p. 22
Japan Wildlife Bulletin. Tokyo.
1961 Parus montanus abei Mishima, 18 (1), p. 160 [in Japanese]
Journal of the Asiatic Society of Pakistan. Dacca.
1966 Aethopyga siparaja terglanei er-Rashid, 11 (3), pp. 113+
Journal of the Chosen Natural History Society. Keijo [= Seoul].
1927 Garrulus brandtii okai Momiyama, 4, p. 5
●Mathews, G. M. 1910-1928. The Birds of Australia. Vols. 1-12. London.
1915 Gygis alba monte Mathews, Vol. 2, p. 443
Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.
1981 Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruiz, vol.7?, p.?
Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa. Taihoku [= Taipei].
1927 Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 17, p. 304
Travaux de la Société Impériale des Naturalistes de St.- Pétersbourg
1898 Alectoris graeca margaritae Davidoff, 29, p. 57+
Trudy Zoologicheskogo Instituta. Akademiya Nauk S.S.S.R. Leningrad.
1955 Tribura maior innae Portenko, 18, p. 504
1962 Rhodospiza obsoleta chauncheica Portenko, 30, p. 390
●Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornitofauna gornogo khrebta Bassek, ee ekologicheskiye i zoologicheskiye svyazi.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova, p.?

I have not included the references/citations for generic terms, such as Cittura and Kozlowia, where sight of the so far unseen original could support the HBWAlive entry. Any information, original descriptions, etc, will be gratefully received and acknowledged in the HBWAlive Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology.
All serenity.

I think at least two we covered somehow here:

Step by step I figured out from p. 113 till 117 (should be full article) the following text from ''OBSERVATIONS ON SOME BIRDS OF EAST PAKISTAN ( Including the description of a new subspecies )'' from Haroun Er-Rashid about Aethopyga siparaja terglanei and others:

I got the following information from the University of Göttingen:
The name of the two page article is: “Verzeichniß von Säugthieren und Vögeln von Sumatra. (Geschenk des Herrn Major Kreling.)“. It looks like a plain list and No 88 is there:

India Review, 1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87. is from an article Indication of some new forms belonging to the Parianae. This is collected in a book entitled Opuscula ornithologica. [compiled by Frederick Du Cane Godman] which is at McGill University Canada. Bahila is a word in Nepal for infertile women:
LIVED EXPERIENCE OF INFERTILITY AMONG COMMUNITY DWELLING INFERTILE WOMEN
by Bishnu Bista (Thapa) . http://www.nepjol.info/index.php/JoNMC/article/view/13303 .
These birds live in community until breeding season.

Last edited:
James, I walk safely back to the library ... none of those is present in any libraries in Stockholm, Sweden.

It´ll be up to our friends elsewhere to trace the very last ones.

Good luck closing!

Again Revista Forestal Baracoa

Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.

Hi James I am wondering how you came to the conclusion that this one was published in Revista Forestal Baracoa and year 1981?

If I read the Olson The Avifauna of the Cayerias of Southern Cuba, with the Ornithological Results of the Paul Bartsch Expedition of 1930 (I think this is where the name derived from) it is written:

[date?] [Bond (1984:2) mentions the introduction of the name Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado Ruiz from Cayo Coco but did not have the reference. (Unfortunately, the words "rosamariae Regalado Ruiz" were transposed to the following line and were replaced by "cocoensis H. Garrido"). Regalado sent Olson a typewritten copy of the original description of this supposed new subspecies, but did not say whether or where it had been published.)

So why 1981 and Revista Forestal Baracoa?

And this was the publication of 007 (which I haven't seen either):

1984. Twenty-fifth Supplement to the Check-list of Birds of the West Indies (1956). 22 pages. Philadelphia: Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.

Martin,
Yes, I may have been a bit previous with this one. Since Regalado Ruiz published his other names in Revista Forestal Baracoa, I assumed that rosamariae was also there described, and extrapolated dates for 1981. You are right, though. Who am I to doubt 007 and Storrs Olson!? Probably undoubtedly the name was never properly published, so I have amended HBWAlive Key accordingly.
James

Zoonomen has :
Melanerpes superciliaris rosamariae Regalado Ruiz, 1977.
Regalado Ruiz, P. [Title?] Possibly in Rev. Forestal 3: 34-37.
From a prior forum here:
●Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.
1977 Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado-Ruíz, 3, p. 36? [syn. Xiphidiopicus percussus]
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=272125 .

Last edited:
Hi Mark, I know this topic with Revista forestral was discussed in several different threads and agree that Martha is the daughters name as I contacted here once but she did not know about origin of rosamariae. She gave me her fathers mail adress but he never replied. But internet and Cuba is anyway difficult. And...

Zoonomen has :
Melanerpes superciliaris rosamariae Regalado Ruiz, 1977.
Regalado Ruiz, P. [Title?] Possibly in Rev. Forestal 3: 34-37.

..is as well just speculation. I might be really worth to contact here or as Björn suggested:

Even if not digitized, at least in its original form; Revista forestal baracoa/Revista Cientifico-Tecnica, here or here (p.37).
]

Last edited:
"Tribura maior innae" PORTENKO 1955 & "Rhodospiza obsoleta chauncheica" PORTENKO 1962

Just to save anyone the unnecessary trouble of trying to find those two issues of Trudy Zoologieskogo instituta (1955 and 1962) I can inform you that I´ve found them and that I´ve forwarded them to James Jobling.

Due to copyright rules I cannot post them here, but I can reveal that those Papers also includes Portenko's following New Scientific Bird Names, (some of them fairly exotic!) …

1955:
● "Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax subdocilis"
● "Aegithalos caudatus brachyurus"
● "Parus maior [sic] kapustini"
● "Penthestes montanus shulpini"
● "Cyanistes cyanus koktalensis"
● "Sitta europaea seorsa"
● "Sitta europaea partiaria"
● "Tichodroma muraria ognewi"
● "Troglodytes troglodytes cineraceus"
● "Oenathe isabellina sibirica"
● "Pseudaëdon sibilans swistun"
● "Erithacus rubecula valens"
● "Tarsiger cyanurus pacificus"
●" Luscinia megarhyncha tauridae"
● "Turdus viscivorus expetibilis"
● "Turdus viscivorus tauricus"
● "Acrocephalus palustris laricus"
● "Tribura maior innae"
● "Horeites diphone viridis"
● "Sylvia curruca chuancheica" (!) *
● "Sylvia curruca monticola"
● … and "Muscicapa striata mongola"

1962:
● "Budytes citreola quassatrix"
● "Budytes citreola sindzianicus"
● "Anthus campestris boehmei"
● "Passer domesticus tauricus"
● "Passer domesticus colchicus"
● "Linaria cannabina kudaschewi" * (equal of L. c. "kudashevi", I assume)
● "Rubicilla erythrina tianschanica"
● "Erythrina rosea sachalinensis"
● "Rhodospiza obsoleta kaschgarica"
● "Rhodospiza obsoleta chuancheica" (sic) **
● "Pyrrhula pyrrhula exorientis"
● "Mycerobas carnipes centralis"
● "Spina fucata transitiva"
● "Schoeniclus schoeniclus wotiakorum"
● "Schoeniclus schoeniclus kozlowae"
● "Hypocentor aureola insulanus"
● "Milaria calandra sarmatica"
● … and finally "Milaria calandra ignobilis"

They are all (for me, hard to decipher, as they are) described only in Russian! Hopefully James will manage them. We´ll see in the forthcoming updates of his HBW Alive Key

Cheers!

Björn

----------------------------------------------------------------
*As of today, this far, not included in the HBW Alive Key.
**The sought-after "1962 Rhodospiza obsoleta chauncheica Portenko, 30, p. 390" is apparently a typo! ;)
---

Last edited:
●Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa. Taihoku [= Taipei].
1927 Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 17, p. 304.
In the Quarterly Journal of the Taiwan Museum, Volume 4 1951 it says vol. xvii, no. 92 p. 304 1927 (Botel Tobago) Type in Moniyama Collection of Yamashina Museum, Tokyo. Batan White-eye, kikuchi Mejiro (Japanese)
Then in Annotationes Zoologicæ Japonenses vol IX part III. July 1917.
It states Zosterops palpebrosa batanis McGregor Kikuchi-mejiro. Five specimens of the subspecies were collected by Mr. Y. Kikuchi on the island of Botel Tobago ‘or Kotosho, Jan. 10 1909 and June 12 1911. The form is much larger than the common Formosan Zostrops palpebrosa simplex Sw. Page 294 from Notes on Formosan Birds by Kuroda . Kikuchi name is Yonetaro. Owston sent Yonetaro Kikuchi, a Japanese collector, to Taiwan. Without seeing the original article Momiyama must have found fault with McGregor and tried to rename the bird?? But we do know who it was named for. HBW alive has ● Yonetaro Kikuchi (1869-1921) Japanese collector on Taiwan (syn. Passer rutilans).

Last edited:
... But we do know who it was named for. HBW alive has ● Yonetaro Kikuchi (1869-1921) Japanese collector on Taiwan (syn. Passer rutilans).
And today's HBW Alive Key has: "Eponym; perhaps Yonetaro Kikuchi (d. 1921) Japanese collector; dedication unseen". ;)

Let´s not jump to conclusions, considering the "kikuchi Mejiro" alt. "Kikuchi-mejiro" part, I think we´d better wait for the OD to turn up!

Kikuchi being latinised to kikutii by Momiyama is like the peregrine falcon Furuichi becomes furuitii.
As for Journal of the Chosen Natural History Society. Keijo [= Seoul].
1927 Garrulus brandtii okai Momiyama, 4, p. 5, in an article in Aquila refers to the names author as Kuroda and gives the title of the Chosen article as Freundliche engl. Übersetzung v. N . Kuroda.
http://epa.oszk.hu/01600/01603/00048/pdf/Aquila_EPA-01603_1935-1938_141-226.pdf . Page 220.

Last edited:
Any idea what volume..? No McGill has 25 volumes by Du Cane Godman. The one at your link is by Coues and definitely a different book. I did not want to join that website to find out about any others.

Recap …

Comparing James's list in Post No. #1* with today's HBW Alive Key gives us the following short list – of still missing, "unseen" OD's:
Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1944 Goura scheepmakeri wadai Yamashina, 14 (1), p. 1

●Buturlin, S. A. 1929. Sistematicheskiye zametki o ptitsakh Severnogo Kavkaza.
1929 Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin, p. 15

Dōbutsugaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tametomo Momiyama, 35, p. 412
1940 Turdus aureus miharagokko Momiyama, 52, p. 462

Ezhegodnik Muzeya Poltavskogo Gubernskogo Zemstva 1914-1915. Poltava.
1917 Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 3-4, pp. 82+

The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts, …
1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87

Journal of the Chosen Natural History Society. Keijo [= Seoul].
1927 Garrulus brandtii okai Momiyama, 4, p. 5

Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa. Taihoku [= Taipei].
1927 Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 17, p. 304

●Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornitofauna gornogo khrebta Bassek, ee ekologicheskiye i zoologicheskiye svyazi.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova, p.?
Quite shorter!

Just 8 (or 10 names) more to go!

Björn

PS. James, did I miss something? Or do you have any other names to add to the list?

*That first Post was a Summary of James's earlier threads (some still, a bit inefficiently, on-going ones, like, for example; Etymologies: the beginning of the end, or…. and Etymologies (part 2); ...the end of the beginning). May I suggest that we leave those earlier threads from now on and onwards keep those last ones in this thread, as of now it all starts to get a bit hard to follow, various topics, shifting back and forth, from one thread to the other.

And yes, I know, that I´ve been participating in most of those threads, simply adding to the sprawling, possible confusion. ;)
---

Last edited:
PS. James, did I miss something? Or do you have any other names to add to the list?

I think at least...

...is missing too.

P. S. Apart from that there are still a lot of mystery persons e.g. wollweberi, alexandri, riefferi we know nothing or nearly nothing about.

Buden & Olson, 1989, Publications on Cuban Birds by Pedro Regalado Ruíz (Smithsonian Contrib. Zoology, no. 477, p. 32, Appendix), commented on this obscure journal, and questioned whether some issues were ever published. I doubt if any BirdForum member has regular access to this serial publication, but if anyone can throw light on the following eponyms their contribution will be gratefully acknowledged in my Key.

1977 Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado-Ruíz, 3, p. 36? [syn. Xiphidiopicus percussus]
1981 Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruíz, vol.7?, p.? [syn. Melanerpes superciliosus]

If we accept that he may not have published the name Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae (who knows) we can question marthae as well, even if Martha is indeed his daughter.

If we accept that he may not have published the name Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae (who knows) we can question marthae as well, even if Martha is indeed his daughter.
● "Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae" REGALADO-RUÍZ 1977

But the Authors of the paper Molecular Systematics of The Red-Bellied and Golden-Fronted Woodpeckers, published in The Condor 2009 (unseen by me) have apparently read it!

It´s said (here) to be in their list of references, as: Pedro Regaldo Ruiz. 1977. Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae, nueva subespecie. Revista Forestal 3: 34-37.

Maybe they* know more? At least they seem to have access to the Revista Forestal … maybe even #7?

Who knows?

Björn

PS. Today considered a junior synonym of Xiphidiopicus percussus insulaepinorum BANGS 1910. See HBW Alive itself (here)

Or: why not ask Martha herself (at least I assume it´s her address): [email protected]
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back