• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG from Japan.... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I'm SO interested in a 8X32 EDG especially before there are no more. I'm SO tempted to cough up about $1482 and buy some from Japan. At this point I can't imagine what could go wrong with them....I can tighten the hinge tension myself if that needs doing.

Any concerns y'all can think of? OR....anyone know where the best deal on some from the USA can be found?

THANKS!

Chuck,

Adorama is the best choice however the most expensive. You could check the vendor from Japan, who also carries a good return policy. Many have bought the EII 8X30 and 10X35 direct from Japan and had good results, myself included. It is a $500 difference, so something to think over.

Andy W.

Have had the exact same thoughts Chuck. But not having had the 8x32 EDG in hand to evaluate I am hesitant to spring for one due to the fact that it is fairly heavy for an 8x32 and FOV is not that wide compared to others. My common sense tells me to wait a while and there may be new alpha 8X32's from Leica (Noctivid), Zeiss (SF), Swaro (updated EL?) and hopefully Nikon (?) that will have improved optics and lighter weight than the EDG. But my common sense also tells me not to hold my breath waiting cause it could be a long wait.

Stephanie

It might be worth calling B&H and Adorama and asking if they can give you a better than MSRP price. They might say no, they might offer you $50 off, or they might offer a few hundred off. My results vary but occasionally it really pays off to ask, particularly if you have a decent buying history with them.

Not that you solicited opinions but the EDG 8x32 has beautiful fit and finish aside from Nikon armor peeling issues if you use it enough. The view is exceptional, but it's heavy and FOV is not too impressive, so I've never considered it. FOV and ergonomics are top priority for me once a bin gets to "good enough/sharp enough." For me the best 8x32 I've seen/used is the FL closely followed by the SV. But I've never seen the FL at a good enough price to take the plunge. I probably still would if I could get a recent, good copy for $1200-1300 or less, but that price seems hard to come by.

Not that you solicited opinions but the EDG 8x32 has beautiful fit and finish aside from Nikon armor peeling issues if you use it enough. The view is exceptional, but it's heavy and FOV is not too impressive, so I've never considered it. FOV and ergonomics are top priority for me once a bin gets to "good enough/sharp enough." For me the best 8x32 I've seen/used is the FL closely followed by the SV. But I've never seen the FL at a good enough price to take the plunge. I probably still would if I could get a recent, good copy for $1200-1300 or less, but that price seems hard to come by.

The best deal I've seen on the FL is from Astromart for $1450. It's been listed for 3 months, not sure if it sold or not. It is not listed as sold.

https://astromart.com/classifieds/a...rs/show/zeiss-victory-fl-8x32-mintboxwarranty

Chuck,

I think you already have the FL 8X32 which is a great 8X32 in it self and will be difficult for Zeiss to build a better 8X32 and keep it the same size and weight.
I have the EDG 8X32 and it is an excellent glass, unfortunately not made anymore. When it comes to handling glare IMO, it is the best performing 8X32, along with the SE 8X32. It also has generous eye relief for folks who wear glasses.

Andy W.

A question about armor peeling issues with Nikon, and I don't mean this to be a crap on Nikon post - great bins and not that many problems all around it seems, and good customer service at least in the US.

However, most binocular users I know are more of the "biologist, hard core birder, or guide with one or two pair of bins" type. Among this group, Leica and Zeiss bins almost never have armor issues. Swarovski tend to bubble after years of hard use (as in hundreds of full days/year), and Swarovski is great about replacing armor for folks. The three people I know who use EDGs end up sending them in about once a year due to the armor peeling up, and fairly catastrophically so. They usually get sent back brand new bins, which works out for them, but is a head scratcher.

Is there anyone here who has racked up 500-1000 days with EDGs without this problem or is this an issue that just doesn't get noticed as there aren't as many EDG's in the field, and almost all guides have the other big three?

PD Josh, re your Post #10.

There was problem with the armor bubbling and peeling on the first EDG version known as the EDG I, a double-hinged version, which was sold only in the USA until 2009 or 2010 when the single-hinged EDG II was introduced both in the USA and in Europe. I had a double-hinged 10x32 EDG I that suffered from this bubbling about 3 years after I got it. Nikon replaced it for me under warranty with the new EDG II and I am still using it and its covering remains intact after 6 years or more of use. I have not heard of any problem of this nature with the new EDG II.

There was a big difference between the coverings of both versions. The covering on the original EDG I was soft and padded and had a spongy feeling; and it did not fit well where it met the metal of the objective tubes. The bubbling and peeling started in that area. The covering on the 2nd version is much tighter all over.

Bob

Last edited:
I had the Swarovski SV 8x32, the Nikon EDG II 8x32 and the Zeiss FL 8x32 at one time and I compared them side by side over several weeks. The SV was 1st, the EDG II 2nd and the FL 3rd. The SV was the brightest, had the best contrast and the sharpest edges. The EDG II is big and bulky for a 32mm. The SV handles much better than the EDG II or FL. The FL is a dinosaur compared to the other two flat field wunderkinds. Look at allbino's ranking on the 42mm SV, EDG and FL. If they tested the 32mm SV the ranking would be the same. The FL's have way more off-axis distortion then the SV or EDG II. IMO that is a big advantage.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html

Last edited:
It's a nice binocular, perfect weight and size to hold, like it better than the kind of bulky EDG 42mm models. Wish it had a bit more effective eye relief though (I use glasses).

Bob and Andy,

The two folks I know better who have had peeling problems are sort of 100-200+ days a year world lister types. One younger and makes his gear work gear going through vegetation and the like, just as I do, the other is a calmer older birder. But they both get about a year out of a pair of EDGs. The other I know also calmer and older and gets 1-2 years. These are recent copies direct from Nikon. Good to hear that not everyone has this happen, though I wonder if long enough exposure to tropical conditions is a factor.

I think the Nikon EDG like Canon IS glass has had bad batches of rubber on their glass, I use mine in all weather conditions and no problems the EDGs and the FLs are my most used glass. Some of Canons IS rubber actually became like toothpaste, some started peeling - but not all of them had this problem, so it was likely that there was a bad batch. This was discussed on the CN forum.
The best rubber on a Nikon was on the original Hg/LX models, much more scratch and stain resistant and durable than the new HG/Ls and the premiers. They still look like new.

Andy W.

Andy,

The EDG IIs have the same covering on them as the old HGL/LXL/Premiers. (The HGLs etc. are the same binocular with different names-LXL was the North American name; Premier was the name given them after the EDG was introduced.)

The EDGs diopter is integrated with the focus wheel. It was located on the right objective tube of the HGLs. The eye cups of the EDGs were vastly improved over the old HGLs. They were made removable for easier cleaning and are larger and better cushioned around the eyes. The EDG's eye relief is longer and the diameter of the ocular is wider. FOV remains the same as the HGL. The EDG has di-electric prisms. The HGLs prisms were silver coated. The EDG had "Nikon's exclusive ED glass technology." Both of them had "Nikon's exclusive field flattener and eye piece design."

Bob

Last edited:
Adorama has the EDG 8x32 in stock at $1996. They are marked as "closeout" so I assume its limited inventory.

I guess it would probably be a good idea to at least CHECK with some of the big camera places...I'll prob give cameralandny a call too.

Chuck,

Adorama is the best choice however the most expensive. You could check the vendor from Japan, who also carries a good return policy. Many have bought the EII 8X30 and 10X35 direct from Japan and had good results, myself included. It is a $500 difference, so something to think over.

Andy W.

$500 might be worth it. One of the vendors in eBay actually has really good feedback.

Have had the exact same thoughts Chuck. But not having had the 8x32 EDG in hand to evaluate I am hesitant to spring for one due to the fact that it is fairly heavy for an 8x32 and FOV is not that wide compared to others. My common sense tells me to wait a while and there may be new alpha 8X32's from Leica (Noctivid), Zeiss (SF), Swaro (updated EL?) and hopefully Nikon (?) that will have improved optics and lighter weight than the EDG. But my common sense also tells me not to hold my breath waiting cause it could be a long wait.

Stephanie

I'd prob spring for the new 8X30 MHG BUT I really like a 32mm binocular better. I KNOW the optics of the 32mm EDG will be as good as it gets. As long as FOV is 390ft or so(for an 8X) I believe I can live with it.

It might be worth calling B&H and Adorama and asking if they can give you a better than MSRP price. They might say no, they might offer you $50 off, or they might offer a few hundred off. My results vary but occasionally it really pays off to ask, particularly if you have a decent buying history with them.

I had a 8X32 FL...something about it...it just never worked for me as well as a B.1 Meostar, SV 32, or even a Viper HD. Prob just me. Most LOVE it. I gave it to my brother. I don't get to go birding as much as I'd like. I still work and am doing 11 days in a row AND I have a few binoculars I like to use so kinda unlikely I'll wear one out!;)

Chuck,

I think you already have the FL 8X32 which is a great 8X32 in it self and will be difficult for Zeiss to build a better 8X32 and keep it the same size and weight.
I have the EDG 8X32 and it is an excellent glass, unfortunately not made anymore. When it comes to handling glare IMO, it is the best performing 8X32, along with the SE 8X32. It also has generous eye relief for folks who wear glasses.

Andy W.

I really don't have any doubts about it!

A question about armor peeling issues with Nikon, and I don't mean this to be a crap on Nikon post - great bins and not that many problems all around it seems, and good customer service at least in the US.

However, most binocular users I know are more of the "biologist, hard core birder, or guide with one or two pair of bins" type. Among this group, Leica and Zeiss bins almost never have armor issues. Swarovski tend to bubble after years of hard use (as in hundreds of full days/year), and Swarovski is great about replacing armor for folks. The three people I know who use EDGs end up sending them in about once a year due to the armor peeling up, and fairly catastrophically so. They usually get sent back brand new bins, which works out for them, but is a head scratcher.

Is there anyone here who has racked up 500-1000 days with EDGs without this problem or is this an issue that just doesn't get noticed as there aren't as many EDG's in the field, and almost all guides have the other big three?

I'm certainly not likely to get to that point..

It's a nice binocular, perfect weight and size to hold, like it better than the kind of bulky EDG 42mm models. Wish it had a bit more effective eye relief though (I use glasses).

Thanks for your input!

Bob and Andy,

The two folks I know better who have had peeling problems are sort of 100-200+ days a year world lister types. One younger and makes his gear work gear going through vegetation and the like, just as I do, the other is a calmer older birder. But they both get about a year out of a pair of EDGs. The other I know also calmer and older and gets 1-2 years. These are recent copies direct from Nikon. Good to hear that not everyone has this happen, though I wonder if long enough exposure to tropical conditions is a factor.

I just compared my 10x32 EDG which I have owned since 2012 with my 10x32 LXL which I have owned since 2006. It was introduced in 2004. The body covering is exactly the same on both of them. This was not the case with the now discontinued 1st version of the 10x32 EDG introduced in 2008 or so. It was a double hinged binocular and it had a different body covering which did bubble and peel loose.

You don't have to worry about the durability of the current body covering on the single hinged EDGs. Just don't buy one that has double hinges.:eek!:

Frankly, I can't imagine these body coverings coming loose under any reasonably hard working conditions. More likely the corrugated rubber coverings on the focus wheels would come off first.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back