• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grosbeak & Yellow bird without a mask~NY (1 Viewer)

Fraulein ash

Woodpecker stalker
While following a Cedar Waxwing with my camera, the first bird was chasing the waxwing... I've never seen a bird like this, but it has a grosbeak feel to it! Please tell me this is a baby Rose Breasted Grosbeak!!

The second bird, I initially assumed was an American Goldfinch, since I have so many here... only there was no mask! Unfortunately, the bird left almost as soon as it landed and this is the only photo I could get. What is this little guy??

Attachments

• rsz_grosbeak.jpg
    rsz_grosbeak.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 61
  • rsz_yellowbirdnomask.jpg
    rsz_yellowbirdnomask.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 69
Get outta here!! WOW!

Yesterday, we went to Wild Birds Unlimited and in the store, they were watching the Cornell live bird cam from Sapsucker woods not too far from me. A Rose Breasted Grosbeak male showed up on the cam and I mentioned how strange it was that they visited the feeders in Sapsucker woods but I never saw them in my backyard. The lady smiled, reached under the counter and handed me a sample sack of safflower and told me "this should do the trick!" I didn't want to be rude, but there is safflower in the cardinal mix that we have out there 98% of the time, so I politely thanked her and took the bag. I filled a small extra feeder with the safflower she gave me... and HOLY COW, I have seen 5 new species in my yard this morning!

WHY are they coming to my yard *now* with the new safflower?? Is it because this is higher quality safflower? Is it because I have nothing but safflower in one single feeder instead of a variety of seeds mixed in? Is it purely a coincidence??

WHY are they coming to my yard *now* with the new safflower?? Is it because this is higher quality safflower? Is it because I have nothing but safflower in one single feeder instead of a variety of seeds mixed in? Is it purely a coincidence??
There could be other factors at play too, particularly seeing as it's migration season.

There could be other factors at play too, particularly seeing as it's migration season.

I had considered that, after I posted this. But I wasn't sure when migration happened for most birds and assumed it happened after it started to get cold, which it hasn't. Some of the birds I've researched claim to migrate after the first freeze, so I wondered if that was the case for *most* birds, or only some.

I'm hoping that yellow bird is truly a scarlet tanager, because that would be a new one for me! I see Goldfinches all day, every day... the color and markings were different and this bird was bigger. They DO migrate, so it's looking good for scarlet tanager!

Scarlet Tanagers are here all summer, but, yes, they have started to move. Here fall migration begins in August for many birds (like warblers) and peaks in September. During the past week we've seen a dozen or more different warbler species in a single birding outing, many migrating raptors, and some uncommon flycatchers passing through. They're out there...you just have to look for them!

And I am certain your bird is a Scarlet Tanager. :)

This is so exciting!! All these new birdies in my yard, I hope I get to see some males soon! :-O

I suppose migration seems to make more sense than magic bird seed. It was just really surreal how it played out, with her handing me the bag of "Grosbeak GPS tracker" seed and telling me it would bring the grosbeaks, then BAM! Grosbeak the next day! :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back