• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

stephani (1 Viewer)

If Étienne Jacquinot (regardless of his years ;)) was married (most likely for the first time) to Jeanne Florimond Leblanc*, who apparently died 13 June 1814, and Honoré was born the following year; 1 August 1815 ... and far, far later, Étienne Jacquinot was re-married, in 1841 (with the one oddly named Sylvie/Marie Eugénie Pinot/Pinault/Pinaud) ... doesn't it look you/we are missing one wife? One right in between ...

Björn

Last edited:
If Étienne Jacquinot (regardless of his years ;)) was married (most likely for the first time) to Jeanne Florimond Leblanc* (who apparently died 13 June 1814)
Her death record confirms the date (link at the end of post #10).
(And, yes, she was Charles Hector Jacquinot's mother according to the birth record of the latter (link in post #5). And thus the "Marie Jacquinot" of Pucheran's mariae was not, contra what the key states currently.)
, and Honoré was born the following year; 1 August 1815 ... and far, far later, Étienne Jacquinot was re-married, in 1841 (with the one oddly named Sylvie/Marie Eugénie Pinot/Pinault/Pinaud) ... doesn't it look you/we are missing one wife? One right in between ...
I have been wondering about this as well. (On a number of French-language websites, you find that Honoré is Étienne' natural son, and that Étienne married the mother, Sylvie/Marie, "after the death" of his first wife, suggesting a relation between these two events. He did marry her, but 28 years after his first wife's death, thus it's certainly not this death that "triggered" the marriage. "Something else" than the presence of Jeanne Florimond may have have made the marriage impossible before that point but, if so, I'm unclear what.)
In any case, the 1841 marriage record states explicitly that Honoré was the (presumably unique, and already officially recognised) natural son of the couple getting married there, which implies they must have had a relationship for decades (link in post #10) -
[...] Mr Étienne Jacquinot et Mlle Sylvie Pinot sont unis par le mariage et à l'instant, les époux ont déclaré qu'ils ont à deux un enfant du sexe masculin, actuellement Chirurgien de Marine et Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur, lequel ils déclarent avoir reconnu antérieurement, par acte authentique, sous les noms et prénoms de Jacquinot Honoré, et qu'ils reconnaissent de rechef pour leur fils, [...]
And Étienne's death record (link + quote in post #14) states explicitly that "Florimond Leblanc" was his first wife, and "Sylvie Pinaud" [sic] his second.

Last edited:
Am I going mad or just losing the will to live? If I have to amend the Key entry for mariae again I think I shall book myself into the nearest asylum and find a nice quiet darkened room!

Sorry, James, it's certainly in part my fault - I posted things as I found them, and the result was a somewhat disjointed thread, which may not be very easy to follow.
She died in 1857. (There's a link to, and a quote from, her death record in post #13).

:t:

Is there a reason to retain "Stephan" as a middle name for Étienne Jacquinot ? I can't find it in any French source, so would concur with Mark (post #4) and Björn (post #8) -- I presume it was added at some point to explain the eponym, but didn't originally exist.
For some other "Étienne"'s also known a "Stephen"/"Stephan"/"Stephanus", see Saint-Étienne, Étienne Baluze, Étienne Hubert, Étienne Tempier, Étienne Fourmont, etc.
Richmond's take: http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Cert/cert00595a.jpg - "For Étienne Jacquinot, father of H. J. [Stephan = Étienne.]"

Last edited:
I first recall seeing the name 'Etienne Stephan Jacquinot' in Murray Bruce et al. 2016, BBOC, 136 (2), p. 99 (the last year that excellent journal was in print) (see also Mark Brown on this thread #3). My Oxford Names Companion 2002, p. 868, confirms that the French name Stéphane is a learned form of Stephen (the first Christian martyr), and is in occasional use beside the vernacular Étienne. The English and German equivalent Stephan also preserves the vowels of the Greek derivation στεφανος stephanos crown. I abandon Murray Bruce, and, succumbing to the overwhelming evidence, will amend stephani in the Key. Harmony may not reign, but it certainly has a working majority.

I first recall seeing the name 'Etienne Stephan Jacquinot' in Murray Bruce et al. 2016, BBOC, 136 (2), p. 99 (the last year that excellent journal was in print) (see also Mark Brown on this thread #3). My Oxford Names Companion 2002, p. 868, confirms that the French name Stéphane is a learned form of Stephen (the first Christian martyr), and is in occasional use beside the vernacular Étienne. The English and German equivalent Stephan also preserves the vowels of the Greek derivation στεφανος stephanos crown. I abandon Murray Bruce, and, succumbing to the overwhelming evidence, will amend stephani in the Key. Harmony may not reign, but it certainly has a working majority.
The source of Bruce et al 2016 was Beolens et al 2014, who wrote:
Stephan
Stephan’s Dove Chalcophaps stephani Pucheran, 1853
[Alt. Stephan’s Emerald Dove]
Étienne Stephan Jacquinot (1776–1840) was the father of the French explorer Vice-Admiral Charles Hector Jacquinot (q.v.), who was ensign on the Coquille (1822–1825) and second-in-command to Dumont d’Urville on the Astrolabe (1837–1840). His brother Honoré Jacquinot (q.v.) was a ship’s surgeon on the same expeditions. ‘Honoré Jacquinot, the captain of the Zélée, relates that when he brought a bird down with a shot from his musket, the initial fright of his native companions turned to shocked amazement as they saw the creature lying lifeless on the ground’. Honoré collaborated closely with Pucheran (q.v.) in preparing descriptions of specimens. We believe that Honoré asked Pucheran to name it after his father. (See also Jacquinot and Maria (Jacquinot))
(This page is not visible in the Google preview, but the mariae page, which also cites "Étienne Stephan", is: https://books.google.com/books?id=En4wBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT815.)
(The unattributed quote, which appears to confuse Honoré (the surgeon and naturalist) with Charles Hector (commander of La Zélée), seems to be from: Hezel FX. 1973. The beginnings of foreign contact with Truk. J. Pacific Hist., 8: 51-73. [first page] [OCRized version], p. 59.)
(In practice, there was no real need for a request from Honoré -- Pucheran merely latinised the French name "Péristère d'Étienne", which had already been published in 1846: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/45370991. Reichenbach 1851 (reproduced in Bruce et al 2016 [here], and to whom Bruce et al attributed the actual authorship of stephani) presumably latinised it first and independently, producing exactly the same species-group name.)

Last edited:
Today, at 22:18 (GMT), the HBW (very, very) Alive Key (how do you cope, James!?) gives us:

stephani
● French first name Stéphane, a learned form of Stephen, more commonly Étienne; Étienne Jacquinot (1771-1865) father of French explorer Charles Hector Jacquinot, commander of La Zélée in the Pacific 1837-1840 and his surgeon-naturalist half-brother Honoré Jacquinot (Chalcophaps).
[...]
mariae
[...]
● Marie Jacquinot (born Sylvie Eugénie Pinot or Pinaud) (1794-1857) mother of French surgeon-naturalist Honoré Jacquinot (subsp. Ptilinopus perousii).
[...]
jacquinoti
Dr. Honoré Jacquinot (1814-1887) French surgeon-naturalist in the Pacific 1837-1840 (cf. his half-brother Vice-Adm. Charles-Hector Jacquinot (1796-1879) French explorer in the Pacific 1837-1840) (Ninox, Pachycephala (ex “Pie-grièche à masque noir” of Hombron & Jacquinot 1843)).
Honoré's Birth ought to be possible to find (if the BnF claim; "Naissance: Moulins-Engilbert (Nièvre), 01-08-1815" is true, of course)...

Is it possibly this one; "5Mi1 83 - Nevers (1810-1815)", here?

I tried, but it´s just about impossible to read (even worse if you lack French) ... and backed away!
Or was that the one you´ve already checked, Laurent?

/B

PS. Or is Moulins-Engilbert versus Nevers (both in Nièvre) a different place? With its "Actes d'etat civil" in another volume?

PPS. Honoreé Jacquinot was also earlier dealt with (January 2017–January 2018) in Martin's thread Jacques Bernard Hombron (here).
___

Last edited:
PS. Or is Moulins-Engilbert versus Nevers (both in Nièvre) a different place? With its "Actes d'etat civil" in another volume?
There is a separate Moulins-Engilbert (e.g.: [here]).
I've been through the act volumes for both M-E and Nevers, checking the periods following 1 Aug 1814 and 1 Aug 1815 . I also checked the decennial tables for the period including these two years, at letters J (Jacquinot), P (Pinot) and H (Honoré, because sometimes they recorded natural children under their first name only), for both localities.
I didn't find him.

Last edited:
And don't forget....

Léonore here and here.

Clearly 1815. The same in his death record. So why should it be 1814? In BnF they corrected the date but missed the correction in the head line.

If we go here => Recherches un individu => Enter Nom as Boucard => Prénom(s) as Gabriel Adolphe => first Année as 1839 and click Recherche we find that he must be present in Archive de Gironde. I already checked Bordeaux and the Commune Gironde but failed to find him there. Seems to be be very time consuming task to go through all Commune to find him, but at least a step forward.

I tried similar than Laurent for above Boucard as he is in my opinion as well a illegitimate child of Adolphe Delattre and Héloïse Joséphine Boucard (1811–1893) and these kind of children seem to be very difficult to search for. Sorry to if I bring some confusion with Boucard. I just want to show that they may have been treated different. Therefor we have as well the negative sounding word bastard in the inglish language.

Last edited:
Apparently I have a hard time letting go of Honoré Jacquinot (even if he´s a guy only mentioned briefly in my MS, in context with other birds) ...

The net is full of claims of him being born either in "1814" or "1815", the odd one out seems to be Flora Societensis (from 1998), here, that claims the years for Honoré Jacquinot as; "1817-1887" ... !?

I tend to believe the claim of "1815", as in the documents in Base Léonore (Archives Nationales), in Martin's post #9 and 31 ... but it might (?) be worth checking the Moulins-Engilbert volume/s for 1817 as well. There´s certainly a "Jacquinot, honoré" mentioned (at least) in the volume; "5 Mi TD 25 - Moulins-Engilbert (1802-1902)", link in Laurent's post #30, on p.162/451, with two Actes, from 1835 and 1841 (see attached excerpt) ... about what, is unknown to me. ;)

Either way; apparently Honoré Jacquinot married (19 October 1851) miss Jeanne Achet (1831–1860), according to here, who (unfortunately ) died at the early age of 29. Note; that the latter Geneanet-page claim his Father's years as "1771-1817"(!), and writes his Mother's Maiden name as "Pinault".

Does this link (all in French) help in any way?

Well, that's it, that's all I can find.

Take all of the above, for whatever it is worth. If anything at all ...

Björn
--

Attachments

• Excerpt fr p.162:451.jpg
    Excerpt fr p.162:451.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
There´s certainly a "Jacquinot, honoré" mentioned (at least) in the volume; "5 Mi TD 25 - Moulins-Engilbert (1802-1902)", link in Laurent's post #30, on p.162/451, with two Actes, from 1835 and 1841 (see attached excerpt) ... about what, is unknown to me. ;)
Cheers, Björn! :t: I hadn't looked for him that late... If so:
  • 1835: [here], open file 5Mi13 574, image 962/1212, and
  • 1841: [here], open file 5Mi13 575, images 207-208/1190.
To make the story short: his birth had originally not been declared to the État Civil at all; it was declared in 1835 only, through a notarial deed which was passed to the État Civil of Moulins-Engilbert; but the notary made a mistake, declaring him to be born on 1 Aug 1814: this was corrected to 1815 in 1841, in another deed, also passed to the local État Civil by the same notary.
Both deeds also include a statement by Étienne Jacquinot, banker, and Sylvie Pinault (this spelling), rentier, that Honoré Jacquinot, marine surgeon and Knight of the Legion of Honour, is their son, has always been recognised as such, can bear that name, and has always been known by it.

Last edited:
So you found Honoré's birth record?
Now he has! At least, as much as it can be found. I had no idea it was hidden there, I just happened to find the note of the two "Actes", but Laurent managed to trace them (as far as I think is possible). Well done!

Thereby, today's re-re-re-updated Key gives us (even if no changes on the first one):

stephani
● French first name Stéphane, a learned form of Stephen, more commonly Étienne; Étienne Jacquinot (1771-1865) father of French explorer Charles Hector Jacquinot, commander of La Zélée in the Pacific 1837-1840 and his surgeon-naturalist half-brother Honoré Jacquinot ...
[...]
mariae
[...]
● Marie Jacquinot (born Sylvie Eugénie Pinot or Pinault or Pinaud) (1794-1857) mother of French surgeon-naturalist Honoré Jacquinot ...
[...]
jacquinoti
Dr. Honoré Jacquinot (1815-1887) French surgeon-naturalist in the Pacific 1837-1840 ...
... I have to amend the Key entry for mariae again I think I shall book myself into the nearest asylum and find a nice quiet darkened room!

James, I hope you haven´t booked anything. And please don't. ;)

Serenity rules.

Björn
--

Last edited:
Mrs Jacquinot

Short return to this stephani tread ... with a minor, tiny detail (simply to drive James bonkers ;)) about the intricate Mrs Jacquinot [as in "PTINILOPE DE MARIE Ptinilopus mariæ" (today's Ptilinopus perousii mariae), link to OD in Laurent's post #5] ...

As far as I can tell Mrs/Madame Marie Jacquinot (1794–1857) was born [at least, first noted in the Actes (ETAT CIVIL), 1793-1796] as nothing but "Sylvie Pinot" (later a k a Sylvie/Marie Eugénie Pinault alt. Pinaud), daughter to François Pinot and his wife Martine Furriau (see link, image 412/1460, upper left corner, left side, in Laurent's post #13, or the attached detail), ... and onwards; second wife of Étienne Jacquinot (1771–1865*), mother of the surgeon/naturalist Honoré Jacquinot (1815–1887).

Minor, yes, but nevertheless ... I couldn´t find the middle name "Eugénie" anywhere in that particular birth record.

Or is it there? If so; where?

Björn

Attachments

• Sylvie pinot.jpg
    Sylvie pinot.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
All harmony from the Residence for the Bewildered. I based 'Eugenie' on Laurent's #13. Perhaps I should change the entry to "Eponym; honoring someone French."!

Another (von) Stephan ... !?

So what about stephani in:
• the invalid "Graucalus stephani" A.B. MEYER 1891 [*] (OD here, p.9, also listed in the Vorbemerkung, here, and on p.14), no dedication nor an explanation, only the type location; "Stephansort, ..."

In spite of this; could this stephani possibly be an eponym as well? And not a toponym, as it is easy to believe (usually believed)? In the sense that the type location itself; "Stephansort, Astrolabebai, NeuGuinea", was named after the German (alt. Pommeranian) General Post Director Heinrich (von) Stephan (1831–1897) ... [i.e. Ernst Heinrich Wilhelm Stephan, from 1885; von Stephan], a guy who reorganized the German Postal Service, which seems to be the origin of/why the Handelsstation (trading post/postal hub/hub of commerce) Stephansort, in German Kaiser-Wilhelms-Land (on New Guinea), got its name (founded in 1888) ... ?!?

If meant as a toponym, wouldn´t Meyer have named this bird stephan(-s-ort)-iensis, alt. dito-icus, like he did in the same page, with for example; "Carpophaga westermanni astrolabiensis" (also on p.14), or like "Porphyrio neobritannicus" (on p.15)?

To me it looks like Meyer knew how to use his Latin grammar (... contrary to me ;))

Just a thought, a pure guess, a nitpicking speculation. For what it´s worth.

Björn

PS. Richmond Card here.

Either way; apparently Honoré Jacquinot married (19 October 1851) miss Jeanne Achet (1831–1860), according to here, who (unfortunately ) died at the early age of 29. Note; that the latter Geneanet-page claim his Father's years as "1771-1817"(!), and writes his Mother's Maiden name as "Pinault".

Marriage here p. 211 of 267 cote 3E 3350 (as Jeanne Louise Annette Achet)?

In Jacquinots death record her name was Jeanne Louise Anne Achet dit Leontine. No idea what the daughters name was.

I did not find her birth and death record yet. But I think no bird is named after her. Or am I wrong?

I am sure Jacquinot was member of Société d'Anthropologie de Paris. But what means D. M. P.? OK found it docteurs en médecine pratiquan.

Last edited:
This almost all makes sense :) Honoré had two children

Alphonse Marie Joseph Etienne JACQUINOT (1852-1881)
Marie Sylvie-Eugénie JACQUINOT (1853-1884).

if looking for the wife's records be aware of the dit Leontine

The only fly in the ointment is that several sites have Honoré's father's name as Estienne which may be a regional variant.

Last edited:
Alphonse Marie Joseph Etienne JACQUINOT (1852-1881)
At birth (23 Dec 1852 in Nevers -- 5Mi1 88, 924/1029: here) he was recorded as Etienne Alphonse Marie Joseph [in that order] Jacquinot.
I failed to find the daughter in Nevers -- I assume she was born somewhere else ?

Honoré's father was 'Etienne' everywhere I found him in the records of the État Civil, but I guess it is conceivable that he was baptized as Estienne. (Estienne is an older form -- it is possible that he shifted from one spelling to the other during his life. As he was born before 1792, only parish registers could confirm or infirm this.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back