• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Computer is FREEZING on me (1 Viewer)

DICKER

Hi, My Computer keeps freezing on me. I had Ad-aware S.E. Professional and the basic Norton System works basic installed for the last 12 months. The Norton came up for renewel so I upgraded and successfully downloaded the full Norton Interenet Security. I was told to remove microsoft antispyware before this download which I did. Then my problems began. The Computer keeps freezing on me within the first 5 minutes of start up. Sometimes I have to re-start it 5 or 6 times before it settles down then it is fine.I thought it maybe ad-aware conflicting with Norton so I removed ad-aware. But no difference. I have tried restoring the computer to an earlier date but that is another problem it wont let me do it to ANY earlier date at all. Can anyone help PLEASE?

Hi There Dicker !!

The problem is your Nortons Antivirus, , the majority of antivirus products create log files, these files contains information about the latest update, virus lists , scanned dates etc, to begin with this does not prove a problem, but the longer you have a particular antivirus on a machine the larger the file becomes.

Try these links

http://geeklimit.com/2006/05/22/slow-pc-maintenance/

http://forums.thetechguys.com/showthread.php?t=8049

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/windows_shutdown_restart_and_boot_take_forever.html

Let me know how you get on, another piece of good software which is free is spybot , ( Avaliable from HERE ) This will check your machine for spyware, adware, malware etc, often during boot up if you are infected with any ware stuff they try to contact various servers, if they cannot connect they may be hanging windows until they time out looking for the server if that makes any sense.

Also do a search for Hijackthis, its a piece of software that will display all running events etc, there are numerous forums that you can put these lists on and get help solve problems.

Lastly try switching off Norton Live Update if you have that running. Also boot into Safe Mode ( Press F8 During booting , this will show a menu with a chioce for safe mode ) if safe mode loads no problem then you know you have an issue with software running on first run. If safe mode is slow to boot i would suggest Defragging your system ( This can take a while to complete ).

Hope this helps

Yes, it sounds like Norton has reaped another victim. Get rid of it (if it allows you to disinstall that is), and install more trouble free programs available on the web. Personally, I use Avast AV along with ZoneAlarm Firewall, but there are certainly other solutions, they are better, and they are free. I think there are other threads in this Forum that speak to the general unsatisfactoriness of Norton products.

DICKER said:
Hi, My Computer keeps freezing on me. I had Ad-aware S.E. Professional and the basic Norton System works basic installed for the last 12 months. The Norton came up for renewel so I upgraded and successfully downloaded the full Norton Interenet Security. I was told to remove microsoft antispyware before this download which I did. Then my problems began. The Computer keeps freezing on me within the first 5 minutes of start up. Sometimes I have to re-start it 5 or 6 times before it settles down then it is fine.I thought it maybe ad-aware conflicting with Norton so I removed ad-aware. But no difference. I have tried restoring the computer to an earlier date but that is another problem it wont let me do it to ANY earlier date at all. Can anyone help PLEASE?
Before you try restoring to an earlier date you need to turn off your Antvirus and Firewall, you can re-enable it when you have rebooted.

Incidentally, I have used Norton Antivirus and Firewall along with Webroot SpySweeper for a couple of years without any problems with WinXP Pro. I made sure Windows Firewall was totally disabled to avoid clashes, Norton isn't the problem, it's the Microsoft crap anti spyware that causes the problem, it's a well documented fact that it causes conflicts with other software it doesn't like. I assume you allowed Windows update to download and install this crap on your computer, or did you have update set to automatic? Bad move if so, a lot of the updates cause more problems than they solve, you need to select the updates you need after browsing the information forums.

nirofo.

Last edited:
DICKER said:
Hi, My Computer keeps freezing on me. I had Ad-aware S.E. Professional and the basic Norton System works basic installed for the last 12 months. The Norton came up for renewel so I upgraded and successfully downloaded the full Norton Internet Security. I was told to remove microsoft antispyware before this download which I did. Then my problems began. The Computer keeps freezing on me within the first 5 minutes of start up. Sometimes I have to re-start it 5 or 6 times before it settles down then it is fine.I thought it maybe ad-aware conflicting with Norton so I removed ad-aware. But no difference. I have tried restoring the computer to an earlier date but that is another problem it wont let me do it to ANY earlier date at all. Can anyone help PLEASE?
You might try reinstalling WinXP "over the top of itself" - that often solves all problems and loses no setting or other work (neither does SR).

I'm guessing you've installed Symantec's version of "Go Back" with the NAV. That might have disabled the WinXP's System Restore, I think - as it replaces it with a superior means of restoring the machine and you didn't used to be able to run the two pieces of software together.

The extras that NSW offers are, I think, simply not worth the extra and seem to lead to difficulties on some machines (machines are so variable, after all). I think NAV is fine and sufficient along with the WinXP firewall and the new Windows Defender (free after all!).

A good alternative is the product "Fix-It" which comes with a super recovery system and a top AV product.

If that's the case you have a problem for sure - but reinstalling Win XP should do the trick.

Last edited:
Computer Still Freezing

Hi thank you for your help so far. I uninstalled Norton and hey presto no more freezing. Now I have installed Spybot, AD Aware, Zone Firewall and AVG. All free software but I have to turn Zone Firewall off to get any e.mails and it is freezing worse than ever now. If I keep the computer on it is fine but as soon as I turn it off and turn it on again it freezes in the start up. I must need to adjust some settings somewhere for this software to all be conflicting against each other.I am a simpleton can anyone talk me through the procedures to avoid this freeze please.

DICKER said:
Hi thank you for your help so far. I uninstalled Norton and hey presto no more freezing. Now I have installed Spybot, AD Aware, Zone Firewall and AVG. All free software but I have to turn Zone Firewall off to get any e.mails and it is freezing worse than ever now. If I keep the computer on it is fine but as soon as I turn it off and turn it on again it freezes in the start up. I must need to adjust some settings somewhere for this software to all be conflicting against each other.I am a simpleton can anyone talk me through the procedures to avoid this freeze please.
No one can guess accurately what is happening to a PC as so many variables exist.

I would, myself, rely on using Windows Defender and Windows XP firewall, those, along with AVG will give you all the protection you need in my view.

Did you try reinstalling Win XP over itself? It often works well. Here is a web site that explains how to do it:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/pcrepair/a/reinstallxp.htm

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hi Dicker, it might help if you download a program called HijackThis, you can get it from http://www.majorgeeks.com/HijackThis_d3155.html - unzip it into a new folder and run it, select 'run a scan and save a logfile. Once it has saved the file (it'll open it in notepad too), attach the txt file to your next post. I'll analyse it, there may be some infection causing you problems.

Regards,

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back