• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x56 FL just purchased very unexpectedly (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

I may have done something reckless but there had to be a purpose to subjecting my ectomorphic runner's body to all the recent weightlifting antics in the gym.. in a few days I should be receiving a rather large pair of binoculars. After reading all the disappointing reviews of the large (54 front end) Victory HTs, I decided to snap up a 'like new' condition 8x56 FL, having read some rave reviews on Bird Forum dating back to about 2012. This glass was from FotoBrell in Frankfurt via eBay; I was impressed with their rapid email response to some queries and their helpfulness in general. Very professional service at a distance.

So if I can hold the thing still - and I know I've broken a basic rule in buying before trying - I'm going to have some longer low-light fun. Some tips on owling and so on may be useful before long. I'd be interested to know how many minutes over a 7x42 this sort of light-gathering power buys me after sunset. I also know that many shy away from this sort of instrument because of its weight and awkwardness on the hoof. But it seemed such a legend that to get one in superb condition would make sure I give it plenty of use and learn through practice and advice how to get the best from it.

Possibly - and you of experience tell me by all means! - 8x32, 7x42, and 8x56 will be as much as I ever need - with possibly a 10x42 (HT or SF) at some stage but not for some while now. I have an 8x42 and it's depreciated so much I will keep that too. The 8x32 is on my list for the future, perhaps if Zeiss drop the FL price to shift final stock.

Tom

Last edited:
The service from Zeiss for maintenance (if needed) is an added bonus.

Andy W.

Yes, and we have a Birdforum member who is very highly spoken of in these pages. I'm sending my Dialyt to him for a tune-up.

Zeiss Germany are a no slouch at replying to a query either.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back