• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

25-56x / 25-75x zoom eyepiece for 78 ED (1 Viewer)

lbrt2004

Hello everybody. I am new at birdforum.net. I just ordered a Nikon 78 ED (to be discontinued?). I'm not an expert, but I think it is an excellent scope and it will be for many years to come. Well, my question is not about that (it was difficult to make a choice and I don't want to start window shopping again!). I have only tested the scope with the 30xW eyepiece, but I also need the versatility of a zoom eyepiece: 25-56x or 25-75x. Which one is better?

Thank you very much,

Albert
Barcelona

lbrt2004 said:
Hello everybody. I am new at birdforum.net. I just ordered a Nikon 78 ED (to be discontinued?). I'm not an expert, but I think it is an excellent scope and it will be for many years to come. Well, my question is not about that (it was difficult to make a choice and I don't want to start window shopping again!). I have only tested the scope with the 30xW eyepiece, but I also need the versatility of a zoom eyepiece: 25-56x or 25-75x. Which one is better?

Thank you very much,

Albert
Barcelona

I bought my ED 78 two weeks ago and am delighted with it,I bought the 25 - 75 zoom eyepiece with it as I wanted the versatility and I am not disappointed by it at all, especially so since I had been unable to try out the ED 78 before buying. I had tried the ED 82with the zoom on it though. The 30x gives a field of view that is nearly twice the field of view of the zoom at it's lowest setting so would probably be much easier to find things with, but I am finding that what amazes me most is the view I get of birds from a distance when having found them I crank the zoom up towards it's highext settings, yes it goes darker but the sharpness and definition are superb, I'm now seeing things that I never thought possible before.

Enjoy your scope.

I've used the new nikon zoom (20x60x) on my Fieldscope III ED 60 mm obj.since April 2001. Before that I used Nikons Wideangle eyepieces in 24 and 40 and 60X.

The zoom is sharp at 60X. I've pushed it on a TeleVue 85 to over 150 X for astro purposes and have birded with at 115X. It did not loose its sharpness.

The major disadvantage of the zoom in addition to its expected decrease in field of view is that is does not have the best eye relief for those that wear eyeglasses.

As to the 25x56x my understanding a couple of years ago that although it is now multi-coated as is the 25x75 that it was not otherwise changed. So although a very good eyepiece it may not be as sharp as the 25x75X, but at 45 x you may not see it??

According to the specs it does have somewhat more eye relief but I've only looked thru the eyepiece briefly and can not give an informed opinion.

As far as power, on my Fieldscope III ED with its 60mm objective I've used 60X frequently enough to find it useful. However, most often when I zoom for the best view I end up at 50X. For identifying gulls and shorebirds I would not want to be limited to 45X. With the larger objective of the Nikon ED 78 I would definitely take advantage of the 25x75 with the 30X wide angle perhaps ending up on the scope the majority of the time.

Bob

I have both 30x and the MCII zoom - they are both genuinely excellent optics. I would not buy the older zoom but go for the new waterproof 25-75X MCII. It is a true beauty of an eyepiece but will not replace your 30x wide, just complement it - that fixed wide angle is, as you have found, quite wonderfully clear, wide and bright.

scampo said:
I have both 30x and the MCII zoom - they are both genuinely excellent optics. I would not buy the older zoom but go for the new waterproof 25-75X MCII. It is a true beauty of an eyepiece but will not replace your 30x wide, just complement it - that fixed wide angle is, as you have found, quite wonderfully clear, wide and bright.

I too have been thinking about the 78ED if Warehouse Express have some left. If I can only afford one eyepiece and want to have a go at digiscoping (Coolpix 995) which of the two you have mentioned would you suggest. I suppose I was thinking that the zoom at 25X would, according to the Nikon data, give a brighter image therefore faster shutter speed.

And could someone confirm the closest focusing distance, please? It can't really be the 50ft quoted on the Nikon USA site.

Bill Watts

Watts said:
I too have been thinking about the 78ED if Warehouse Express have some left.
And could someone confirm the closest focusing distance, please? It can't really be the 50ft quoted on the Nikon USA site.

Bill Watts

With the ED 78 and the 25-75 zoom I found that the closest focusing distance was in the region of 12 feet away. Warehouse Express certainly had the scope late last week, and seemed to have an adequate supply when I bought mine from them two weeks ago.

Thank you for your replies. I will buy the 25-75X zoom.

According to the data of my retailer, the closest focusing distance for the ED 78 is 5 m.

I tried to buy the 78 ED at warehouseexpress, but they can't ship Nikon products outide the UK. Nikon products are expensive in Spain (78 ED sold last year for 1.600 euros). I was getting used to the idea of carrying a heavier and bigger scope like the Zeiss 85 when I found an offer of 900 euros for the 78 ED. Nikon Spain wants to get rid of the last units quickly.

Albert
Barcelona

The Zeiss 85 is a very compact, light scope - have you got the models mixed up?

The Nikon digiscoping adapter will not allow the zoom to be changed once in place, so you have to zoom first - it works best, I would say, with the 30xW because of that - but is otherwise a finely made piece of kit, typical of Nikon quality.

I didn't mix up the models. I admit, the differences are actually not so big. The Nikon 78 ED is "only" 275 g lighter than the Zeiss 85 (both straight with the zoom eyepiece), and I think a little more compact.

Albert
Barcelona

I find the Zeiss a light and compact scope to carry around. I was thinking of it against say a Leica, or, weight wise against the Nikon ED82.

lbrt2004 said:
Thank you for your replies. I will buy the 25-75X zoom.

I found an offer of 900 euros for the 78 ED. Nikon Spain wants to get rid of the last units quickly.

Albert
Barcelona

If that is the price including the 25-75 zoom eyepiece then it is a fantastic offer.

That is the price for the scope body only, with carrying case. Maybe it is not a "fantastic" offer, but is still a very good offer if we consider the pricing politics of Nikon Spain. It is 700 euros less than it was a few months ago, and half the price –for example– of the Swarovski 80 HD.

Albert
Barcelona

lbrt2004 said:
That is the price for the scope body only, with carrying case. Maybe it is not a "fantastic" offer, but is still a very good offer if we consider the pricing politics of Nikon Spain. It is 700 euros less than it was a few months ago, and half the price –for example– of the Swarovski 80 HD.

Albert
Barcelona

Congratulations, lbrt2004, on a clever purchase. Having looked through all of the premium scopes (but not the Nikon 82) and having used the Nikon 78 ED since its introduction, I can confidently say the smart money is buying up the 78's before they are all gone. They are optically as good as any of the others, and better than some. Enjoy your new scope and spend all the euro's you saved on a Nikon 8x32 SE!

Clive

I think the ED82 differs only in being more compact and fully waterproof, I should think. The reviews on the ED78 show it to be a very fine scope and several members on BF speak very highly of it, too. The new zoom (MCII) coupled to it would make an excellent combination - but I still feel the new 30xW would be an ideal eyepiece to complement this as the zoom is not so wide at its lower settings and there are many occasions when a difficult-to-locate bird requires an eyepiece with a wide fov, rather than the ability to zoom in closely.

bill lord said:
With the ED 78 and the 25-75 zoom I found that the closest focusing distance was in the region of 12 feet away. Warehouse Express certainly had the scope late last week, and seemed to have an adequate supply when I bought mine from them two weeks ago.

Bill

Have you (anyone else) been able to get a stay-on case for the ED78? Warehouse Express doesn't seem to have anything suitable.

Bill Watts

Watts said:
Bill

Have you (anyone else) been able to get a stay-on case for the ED78? Warehouse Express doesn't seem to have anything suitable.

Bill Watts

No everyone I spoke to said that there is not one that will fit, Ace Optics of Bath ofered to have one made for me for £140 though. In Focus at Rutland water said that the best way of using the carry case is to have it on the scope on the tripod with the carry strap attached and just to slip the case off the scope forwards and to let the case dange from the tripod, it works. what is more it gives a place to put the lens cover and the eyepiece cover.

bill lord said:
No everyone I spoke to said that there is not one that will fit, Ace Optics of Bath ofered to have one made for me for £140 though. In Focus at Rutland water said that the best way of using the carry case is to have it on the scope on the tripod with the carry strap attached and just to slip the case off the scope forwards and to let the case dange from the tripod, it works. what is more it gives a place to put the lens cover and the eyepiece cover.

OK, thanks.

Bill W.

Just bought myself the 78ED with a 25-75x eyepiece....... what a difference to my old Opticron Classic ! ( stolen on a trip to France ) I did some research and testing myself and came to the conclusion that for the price ( huge discount at Warehouse express ) the Nikon could not be beaten.

Happy Birding .......!

Regards Cirrus

They've certainly sold plenty to folk on this forum. I have the ED82 but can guess at how good the ED78 is - and at that price, it's a steal, for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back