• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion eyepieces (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Does anybody know if the Baader Hyperion eyepieces work with ATS65HD scopes? I have searched the forum but the answer appears to be "why bother when the swarovski eyepieces are so good" and I would like a more objective answer than this if possible!
The website suggests they are compatable with "several telescopes" though I was unable to find out which, other than Zeiss, Celestron and Baader scopes.
Also is there a formula that one can use to work out magnification from the focal length? The eyepieces give focal length in mm, rather than magnification.

Many thanks

Daniel

Daniel,

The Baaders are compatible with any scope that allows for the use of 1.25 inch astro eyepieces (and 2 inch as the Baader is adaptable). The Celestron Regal and Pentax ED series of scopes are two perfect examples.

I do believe that Swarovski makes some type of astro adapter for their scopes so you should be able to use the adapter to get the Baader Hyperion series of eyepieces to work with the Swaro scopes. These comments are directed specifically at the Baader fixed magnification eyepieces and not the Baader Hyperion zoom.

As for determining magnification...all you need to do is divide the focal length of the eyepiece into the focal length of the scope body to determine the magnification. For example, I believe the Nikon 82 ED has a focal length of 525 mm. If you put a 10 mm eyepiece on it then it yields 52.5 x magnification.

I don't know the focal length of the Swaro 65 but I am sure you can find it relatively easily and/or someone on here will post that info for you.

460mm is close enough. I don't think Swarovski still makes the 1.25" adapter. Even if you can find one the Baader zoom may not reach focus and would only be held in place by a set screw. The Swarovski zoom is excellent. It has longer eye relief and higher magnification than the Baader. Optically, The Swarovski has a bit better off axis sharpness, but a narrower field at low magnification.

See this thread, in particular post no. 5. I wondered if I could get the BH zoom to work on my Swaro 80HD, but apparently it won't work.

The fixed power hyperions are used by many members with the Pentax PFED scopes and they seem to work fine,,I think they should,as Frank mentioned,work fine in the Swarovski...Are You looking for a wide High power eyepiece for Your scope?

Manuel,

I think the difference was that I was referring to the fixed power Baader Hyperions. Henry was referring to the Hyperion zoom. I am not sure if they both have issues with focus at infinity. I know it was an issue with the Baader zoom and the Pentaxs while the fixed power Baaders did not present any problems I can remember seeing.

That may or may not be the case with the Swaro.

As for determining magnification...all you need to do is divide the focal length of the eyepiece into the focal length of the scope body to determine the magnification. For example, I believe the Nikon 82 ED has a focal length of 525 mm. If you put a 10 mm eyepiece on it then it yields 52.5 x magnification.

Thanks for that information Frank, very helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back