• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal Zoom In The Ultima ED ???? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Hi ... Does anyone know if the Celestron Regal F-100 zoom eyepiece can be used in the Ultima 100 ED scope. I sold the Regal body & kept the eyepiece. The specs seem to be the same between the two but I cant tell looking at the pictures if the Ultima zoom can just be removed & the other put back in. I really liked the Regal but it had a few things that really bugged me, like the problem with finding eyepieces & that coarse/fine focusing. After comparing the zoom to the big Pentax SMC , I liked the features of the Regal zoom much better & felt it gave up nothing optically to the Pentax other than not being waterproof. I even like it better in my pentax 65 Ed II having the same 16- 48x power range. Now I have a chance to get a Ultima ED for a really good price but would really like to use the Regal highend zoom on it instead... gwen

Hi ... Does anyone know if the Celestron Regal F-100 zoom eyepiece can be used in the Ultima 100 ED scope. I sold the Regal body & kept the eyepiece. The specs seem to be the same between the two but I cant tell looking at the pictures if the Ultima zoom can just be removed & the other put back in. I really liked the Regal but it had a few things that really bugged me, like the problem with finding eyepieces & that coarse/fine focusing. After comparing the zoom to the big Pentax SMC , I liked the features of the Regal zoom much better & felt it gave up nothing optically to the Pentax other than not being waterproof. I even like it better in my pentax 65 Ed II having the same 16- 48x power range. Now I have a chance to get a Ultima ED for a really good price but would really like to use the Regal highend zoom on it instead... gwen

Why don't you get a Baader Hyperion Zoom. I don't know about the Regal e/p but it is far superior to the e/p that came with my Ultima 100ED

Why don't you get a Baader Hyperion Zoom. I don't know about the Regal e/p but it is far superior to the e/p that came with my Ultima 100ED
From what I have read the Baader zoom does indeed seem to be a really nice eyepiece & having used the Regal zoom on my little pentax it too is a nice zoom. Are you using the Baader zoom on the ultima ?, if so what if any physical changes to the ultima did you have to make in order for the baader to work.....gwen

"the problem with finding eyepieces"

erm not sure what you mean. GIven the regal takes 1.25" eps. I think you mean you were spoilt for choice!
It just did not give me the choices I thought I would have. Thats why I purchased it. For the small amount I would shell out for the ultima 100, I figured why not use it just with the Regal zoom ? .... gwen

Gwen,

I do not believe the Regal zoom will physically fit onto the Celestron Ultima line of scopes. From what I remember of the Ultima the diameter of a typical 1.25 inch astro eyepiece is about the same as the diameter of the male adapter on the Ultima scope. In other words the zoom won't screw on top of the scope body because they are of the same diameter.

The Baader Hyperion does screw on top of the Ultima bodies. The Baader comes with a series of adapters that allow it to fit on top of the Zeiss Diascope and the Celestron Ultima line of scopes. I once tried the Baader on the Celestron Ultima 65 ED and was very impressed with the overall image quality.

Gwen,

I do not believe the Regal zoom will physically fit onto the Celestron Ultima line of scopes. From what I remember of the Ultima the diameter of a typical 1.25 inch astro eyepiece is about the same as the diameter of the male adapter on the Ultima scope. In other words the zoom won't screw on top of the scope body because they are of the same diameter.

The Baader Hyperion does screw on top of the Ultima bodies. The Baader comes with a series of adapters that allow it to fit on top of the Zeiss Diascope and the Celestron Ultima line of scopes. I once tried the Baader on the Celestron Ultima 65 ED and was very impressed with the overall image quality.

Frank ....Thanks for that info, I did not want to buy another zoom but I guess thats what I will have to do .... gwen

Ultima 100 ED scope.

I believe celestron make some fixed mag eps for these scopes. However am not sure how good they are as they sell for 25-30 quid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-power-ey...spotting-scope-/150484775188?pt=UK_Telescopes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wide-angle-ey...spotting-scope-/160472878140?pt=UK_Telescopes

"It just did not give me the choices I thought I would have"

tbh I find that rather hard to believe. There are hundreds of astro eps on the market, I dont think you have searched very hard. Were you looking for an ep that gave 90x 100deg FOV and cooked you breakast at same time?
Ofcourse i will agree that choice doesnt always mean quality...ive certainly bought some duds in recent months!

if i recall correctly....this bloke used to sell an ep that would fit a celestron scope.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/wolfi24/

I cant find it on his shop atmo, but hes friendly, drop him a line and ask.

I know a lad here who makes scope adapters, have asked him if he can make up something, hes a wiz with all that stuff )

Last edited:
Gwen,

That's what I found when I tried using a Celestron SLR adaptor
As well as a 100ED I also have a straight Ultima 65 (pretty cheap).

With the supplied e/p the 65 was really nasty, the Hyperion transforms it. I can also use the combination hand-held if I can lean against something.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back