• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (2 Viewers)

Willow Warblers:
What do folks think of Willow Warbler numbers this year ? I get out and about quite a bit in locations I'd expect WWs, but this year I've not heard/seen as many. What are numbers like for you ?

Just one singing male WW left on my patch this year. I have noticed how these isolated birds often adapt their songs to include a few strained chiff-chaff type phrases on occasion - probably in desperation.

An unseasonal Siskin flew over Barnard's Green, Malvern this lunch time.

May be unseasonal Dave, but always a number of records in Worcestershire in July. I normally get single flyovers on patch this month origin unknown. There has been steady numbers seen at Spurn and other locations earlier this week your record is consistent with this movement.

Siskins

I've noted a few Siskins recently, at least one in Nunnery Wood and another in Warndon Woods, both on Monday. Also had three in the Teme Valley a couple of weeks ago where there were reasonable numbers during the winter so may have bred locally.

Brian

Another Siskin over Barnard's Green this morning. I agree that they aren't that unusual at this time of year in Worcs - in previous years I've had mid-summer records over Salwarpe and over Lower Kite's Wood near Dormston. Nice to see them though because last winter was unusually poor for them on my patch (only a couple of birds seen in the first winter period of 2015).

Female RED-BACKED SHRIKE at Lower Smite Farm on private land on the 10th July - one that I have still to connect with for the county :(

Female RED-BACKED SHRIKE at Lower Smite Farm on private land on the 10th July - one that I have still to connect with for the county :(

That is a fantastic record! To put it in context - I'm guessing it is probably the first JULY record in Worcestershire for about 50 years. IIRC the last confirmed breeding record was 1962 (British Camp, Malvern), followed by just a few more sporadic spring/summer records during the 1960's (including the Kidderminster heaths in the early '60's and Upton Warren 1966), followed by only 3 or so records in the 1970's, a spring bird in May 1986 and a mere smattering of autumn juvs since then. I was fortunate enough to see the Upton warren juvenile on 3rd October 1999. B :)B :)B :)B :)

Last edited:
That is a fantastic record! To put it in context - I'm guessing it is probably the first JULY record in Worcestershire for about 50 years. IIRC the last confirmed breeding record was 1962 (British Camp, Malvern), followed by just a few more sporadic spring/summer records during the 1960's (including the Kidderminster heaths in the early '60's and Upton Warren 1966), followed by only 3 or so records in the 1970's, a spring bird in May 1986 and a mere smattering of autumn juvs since then. I was fortunate enough to see the Upton warren juvenile on 3rd October 1999. B :)B :)B :)B :)

Think the last Worcs record was at Wilden when we were out of county twitching the Brown Shrike at Flamborough Head?

Last edited:
Think the last Worcs record was at Wilden when we were out of county twitching the Brown Shrike at Flamborough Head?

Yes - I remember going for it the next morning but no sign. People who saw that bird said it had even set up a food cache ("larder"). I would've loved to have seen that as it's behaviour that's not easy to see in the UK these days.

Yes - I remember going for it the next morning but no sign. People who saw that bird said it had even set up a food cache ("larder"). I would've loved to have seen that as it's behaviour that's not easy to see in the UK these days.

The only larder I have seen was by a Great Grey Shrike in the Cotswolds a few years ago, consisting predominately of early emerging bees.

I also remember popping up to Bempton after the shrike for RB Fly and YB Warbler rather than going the Red-footed Falcon at Tophill Low that turned into something even more interesting

Was going to post this on the Croome thread but it said that it was 200 days old so was not allowed.

Had a family day out at Croome today. In the garden there was a spotted flycatcher.

Then as we walked around the lake had the pleasure of watching 2 Hobbies hunting over the lake. On several occasions they came within a few meters. Watched them for about 30 minutes before it started to rain. Previously only seen them for a brief few seconds it was a breathtaking experience.

Was going to post this on the Croome thread but it said that it was 200 days old so was not allowed.

Had a family day out at Croome today. In the garden there was a spotted flycatcher.

Then as we walked around the lake had the pleasure of watching 2 Hobbies hunting over the lake. On several occasions they came within a few meters. Watched them for about 30 minutes before it started to rain. Previously only seen them for a brief few seconds it was a breathtaking experience.

You still can post it there....just tick the box at the bottom of page to override the warning......:t:

Walton Hill 13.09.2015

Our walk to the top of Walton Hill was rewarded with super views of a family of Common Redstarts along the horse paddock fence to the West of Walton Hill farm! One male, one female and 2 juveniles were seen in this area and then 3 more juveniles were seen along the public footpath to the East of the farm.

Attachments

• Walton Hill 13.09.15.JPG
    Walton Hill 13.09.15.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 112
Walton Hill 8:15am

Flushed 2 Woodcock on path leading from old hide in the woods on the north side of the hill. Both birds were about 6ft to right of path close up to hedgerow in leaf litter and bracken...and flew through/over the hedge to open field.

Treecreeper and Bullfinch also present

(...and nice view of Muntjac and Roe Deer about 15 mins before)

Flushed 2 Woodcock on path leading from old hide in the woods on the north side of the hill. Both birds were about 6ft to right of path close up to hedgerow in leaf litter and bracken...and flew through/over the hedge to open field.

Treecreeper and Bullfinch also present

(...and nice view of Muntjac and Roe Deer about 15 mins before)

Was that with or without your glasses Andy? :eek!:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back