Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Difficult Bolivian Species

Old Saturday 12th February 2011, 20:50   #1
lewis20126

Difficult Bolivian Species

Hi all

I'm planning a Bolivia trip in September 2011 and am aware that a few species are not on the typical circuit. If anyone has any information on the following, please advise:
  1. Ashy Antwren, Yellow-rumped Antwren, Bolivian Recurvebill, Scimitar-winged Piha,

Also any recent updates on Masked Antpitta at Riberalta would be welcome as I think we'll try for it if we can get flights.

Cheers, alan
Old Saturday 9th April 2011, 21:56   #2
lewis20126

bump - has anyone been to Bolivia?

a
Old Friday 6th May 2011, 02:17   #3
peachfront

I've been to Bolivia, but for the big flashy species not for the Antwrens, so I'm a little afraid to comment.

Have you contacted birdbolivia.com? They put together a terrific package for me, in addition to my target species, which I suspect that they rated as "way too easy," they also helped me find three species of endangered macaw, Blue-Throated, Hyacinth, and Red-Front. And we're not talking fleeting glimpses, we're talking quality, multiple views of the birds and their behavior.

They can do "twitchers," going for numbers as well. It can't hurt to ask. Just tell them the species and see what they can do.

I cannot travel in September but I envy you -- I have visited Bolivia twice, once to learn South American Birds of Prey and once for my private tour (with a focus on the parrots) and it's just beautiful!
Old Sunday 15th May 2011, 21:10   #4
Birdingcraft

Yes, they would be the best people to contact.
Old Wednesday 8th June 2011, 06:39   #5
jimforjim

I'm planning to go to Bolivia as well...

My wife and I are hoping to be in Bolivia in October, and the www.birdbolivia.com website has a huge section on places to see the most sought-after birds in Bolivia, as well as a rundown of the places to see them. All of the species you mention are on their site. The most interesting thing was that there's a lot of information for independent birders, unusual for a commercial site.

These trip reports could be useful: http://www.travellingbirder.com/bird...p?from=1&to=12.

To be fair, I'm also in the midst of gathering the most current information that I can, so I'd be very interested in hearing others' perspective. For example, we were very interested in traveling to Noel Kempff Mercado, but hear that the north (Flor de Oro) is closed for now. On the birdbolivia.com site, there was mention of some new lodges opening in the Rurre area, but still hoping to find out if they've in fact opened.

Best regards, Jim
Old Wednesday 29th June 2011, 22:58   #6
lewis20126

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambor%C3%B3_National_Park

I think both Antwrens and the Recurvebill are in here. Does anyone ever go?

Not holding out much hope but off on 26/8,

cheers, alan
Old Tuesday 16th August 2011, 00:09   #7
lewis20126

It seems very odd but the lower eastern foothills aren't really on the main 3 week circuit. With more time (and better roads / access) a visit to the new Horned Currasow lodge combined with a search for the Antwrens and Recurvebill would surely be worthwhile. Maybe one day!

cheers, a
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: