• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many Nestboxes/Bird Houses, Do you have? (1 Viewer)

I've got two House Martin nestcups, a Swift box, a Robin nestbox, a Starling nestbox, an open-fronted nestbox, a House Sparrow terrace, a Treecreeper nestbox, four hole nestboxes (for Tits) and one to be put up for next season, a Dormouse nestbox (Blue Tits nesting at the moment in it!), a Blackbird nestbox, a Hedgehog nestbox and an Owl/large bird box that I'm not using at the moment.

I have one 12 room martin house that doesn't get used and I also neglect. It will be coming down and be replaced with a retractable one I will make.

I have a wren style house, only sparrows so far. I have two gable style houses and one bat house.

I have one nestbox & a packet nest thing on the tree. I did have a little wooden nestbox that you hang on the tree but the hanger broke so now have 2. Nest packet has never been used only nestbox got Great Tits in there at the moment.

Abbygirl said:
How many Nestboxes/Bird Houses, Do you have?

I have three which were put up in January this year:

One Blue Tit box - currently with 13 eggs.
One Great Tit box which the Great Tits haven't even looked at but my Blue Tit pair do go in there.
One Robin box which hasn't been used because it isn't in a very good place! Couldn't find anywhere better for it but hope to in time for next year.

Sadly I have very few places for nestboxes to go, otherwise I'd have lots more!

Wow. Thank you all so much for sharing. I hope more of you will share as well. I've enjoyed reading how many nestboxes that you had! I thought 3 was a lot but I guess not! Have a wonderful day.

Abbygirl said:
Wow. Thank you all so much for sharing. I hope more of you will share as well. I've enjoyed reading how many nestboxes that you had! I thought 3 was a lot but I guess not! Have a wonderful day.

I have (5) houses up. I use different size holes (1) 1.125", (2) 1.25", and (2) 1.50". At the moment only two are being used. Have house wrens in one and as of today house sparrows building in another. Had chickadees showing some interest, hope they start a nest in one. :-O

Lou G

Abbygirl said:
How many Nestboxes/Bird Houses, Do you have?

We have 2 bird houses and 1 nestbox.

I have ten nest boxes, all made of concrete and sawdust. These are virtually indestructable, and squirrels, woodpeckers etc cannot enlarge the holes. I first started with five last year, and as three became occupied I decide to double the number this year to ten. However, without much success. So far, only two are occupied, both with Blue Tits, which now have young. However the garden is full of nesting birds. A Robin has ignored a brand new Robin nesting box, and has made a nest low down in the timbers of our medieval barn. Wrens have ignored their box; having nested in the past two years in the roof space above the porch, have built a nest between the lintel and roof of one of the open sheds. Great Tits are nesting in a hole in the trunk of a rambler rose. Having put up a box for a Tree Creaper in a Silver Birch tree, where they are regularly seen,they have now disappeared. The Little Owls are again nesting in the orchard in hole in the trunk of an old apple tree. A Mallard made a nest in a nettle bed at the edge of the stream, of the twelve eggs it hatched only four ducklings now seem around. Mallards are the most careless of mothers. In contrast the Moorhens seem to keep all their young.
Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, Chaffinches, Hedge Sparrows are all nesting, as are Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves. The Mistle Thrushes which built a nest very late, have never completed it. Several broods of Pheasant chicks in the meadow.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back