• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Status Quo (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

As a member of this forum and as one of the millions of Iraqis in the diaspora and as an Iraqi birdwatcher who hasn't seen Iraq for over 25 years, I would dearly love to know what the status quo is regarding the birds of Iraq and the conservation of birds and other wildlife there ...
My heartfelt thanks to all those interested in the conservation & welfare of the birds of Iraq, and I look forward to seeing your valuable contributions on this forum o:D

Hi I am working in Southern Iraq and will be taking pictures of birds I see when I have time! I did go up to the southern marshes on Saturday I saw many black winged stilt, a pair of pied kingfishers, a cormorant, lots of slim billed gulls, morehens, white tailed plovers and many other birds which I have not identified yet. There are projects to re flood the marshes and natureiraq is a good site to keep up with what is happening.

Thanks for the post Sean o:)

I'll definitely try to contact Nature Iraq. It's a milestone in itself for Iraq to have a conservation organization.

Let's hope that the Southern Marshes can be somehow revived, but I'm also worried about other parts of Iraq !

Please keep us informed of what you see & thanks once more o:D

Thanks for the post Sean o:) I'll definitely try to contact Nature Iraq. It's a milestone in itself for Iraq to have a conservation organization. Let's hope that the Southern Marshes can be somehow revived, but I'm also worried about other parts of Iraq! Please keep us informed of what you see & thanks once more o:D

Iraq Babbler,
I'll be landing in Sydney from UK on 10 June and I'll be in the Sydney area for about 14 days. My friend and near neighbour Richard Porter has been visiting Iraq as a representative of BirdLife International; he has been training Iraqis in bird identification, survey techniques and conservation principles. He is effusive at the amount of interest and at the rapidity that the trainees absorb the information and understand its application. Elements of the Iraqi Army have also helped out, as well as acting as protection in some areas. Many Kurdish Iraqis have also been involved. There is a lengthy paper in the recent Sandgrouse on the status of birds in parts of Iraq, and this includes many new records in the north. I don't have time before I leave tomorrow, but I can bring my copy of Sandgrouse and you can scan the paper if you wish. Send me a PM on Bird Forum and we can begin to make arrangements.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back