• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Checking blue tit boxes? (1 Viewer)

Kiteman001

We have a blue tit box.

Last year was the first time it was used, but the brood failed - the nest was abandoned for reasons unknown, leaving two dead chicks.

We emptied the box, but did not clean it with chemicals (despite my mother's urging to scrub it with neat bleach!).

The tits are visiting again, and we've seen them with nest material in their beaks.

When is it safest to check the nest's / chicks' progress? Just a quick lift of the lid is all I want, but what time of day is best?

Hi
I would agree with Marmot on this although if you do choose to disturb them at least wait until the chicks are making noise as the parents are very unlikely to abandon at this stage.

I use red hot water only to clean the box out as this kills most of the bugs. You were correct not to use chemicals.

My bluetits haven't laid yet, and are still faffing around with nest lining.
You need to watch for the male bringing in food for a sitting female or both parents bringing food for babies.
I agree, don't check the nest in case you scare them off- just hope for he best.
Don't forget that once the female starts laying (usually early morning) you will see alot less activity for about 10 days until she starts sitting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back