• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallows etc in uk 2020 (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
Has anyone seen any Swallows, Martins yet in the UK? if so can you leave details here, some kids have written to admin asking if we could get information for them.

Thanks.

One Sand Martin at Fagl Lane Gravel Pit north of Caergwrle, North East Wales, on the afternoon of 15th March is my only hirundine so far this year.

Hampshire's 1st Sand Martin was at Titchfield Haven on 6th March. Lately there's been c150-200 individuals hanging around Titchfield Haven area with presumably many more passing through.

Sand martins only. 1 clevedon north Somerset 16th mar, 2 portishead north Somerset 19th mar, 130 ham wall RSPB Somerset 20th mar

Regards Howard

Depending on the severity of coronavirus restrictions, I might not see any until July or August - there's none breeding close to home, so if restricted there I'd have to wait for post-breeding juvenile dispersal. If I'm allowed to cycle out to local nature reserves, then I'd expect my first Sand Martins in the next week or two, and Barn Swallows soon after. House Martins a bit later, around 15-20 April or thereabouts.

Likewise Steve. Shame, getting Swallow before the end of March is one of those silly little pleasures that have taken on so much more importance this year. I'll have to hold out for getting my first garden Swift before the end of April instead!

Up to 12 sand martins

Max of 12 sand martins at Marton Mere Blackpool since 26/3.
One swallow over this morning.

Yesterday Sand Martin and Swallow Clevedon + 3 gardens for Swallow.

This morning Swallows Weston-super-mare & Clevedon.

Mainly singletons but a two & a three yesterday.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back