• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Birdwatch results (how did you get on) (1 Viewer)

Reader

I wondered how all the members who took part in this years survey got on. Below is how my 1 hour went.

Thankfully my main feeding station is about ten feet from where I park my car in the driveway so I used it as a hide. My garden Birdwatch took place between 08:55 & 09:55 today (Sunday).

The actual list I have submitted to the RSPB is as follows

Blackbird 15
Blue Tit 10
Crow 2
Chaffinch 3
Collared Dove 2
Dunnock 5
Goldfinch 5
Great Tit 2
Greenfinch 10
House Sparrow 7
Long tailed Tit 2
Magpie 2
Robin 6
Starling 1
Woodpigeon 2
Wren 1

Those were the highest counts at any given time but I also did an actual count of visits to the garden within that time and the results really kept me busy. So busy that at times I just couldn't count all the different birds so in fact my numbers were much higher than these. My counts were for that hour.

Robin 24
Blackbird 61
Great Tit 9
Blue Tit 109
Chaffinch 22
Greenfinch 67
Goldfinch 24
Wren 2
Collared Dove 6
Woodpigeon 12
Starling 3
Dunnock 23
Long tailed Tit 6
Sparrow 23
Magpie 7
Crow 2

We missed one regular as the Coal Tits that normally visit our feeders didn't arrive. Last year we also had a Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Song Thrush but no sign of those either.

Still a very satisfying, and busy, hour.

John

Here are my results from Midlands suburbia:

BLACKCAP x 1
BLACKBIRD x 5
CHAFFINCH x 6
COLLARED DOVE x 2
DUNNOCK x 2
GOLDFINCH x 5
GREAT TIT x 2
GREENFINCH x 2
HOUSE SPARROW x 2
ROBIN x 2
SISKIN x 1
SONG THRUSH x 1
STARLING x 1

A big surprise was that the Robins outnumbered the Starlings! Quite a turn up for the book!

And a couple of hours after the count, along came the Blue Tit who was conspicuous by its absence during 'the' hour, along with 2 Long-tailed Tits who are irregulars and I would have loved to have recorded alongside the others.
If you're interested in more results, we have some on a similar thread on ex-beebs.

Hi
Here are the results for my patch on the North East coast:-
Bluetit x 2
Robin x 1
Blackbird x 7
Starling x 10
Dunnock x 2
Chaffinch x 2
Greenfinch x 4
Collared Dove x 5
Crow x 4
Goldfinch x 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker x 1
Jackdaw x 3
Magpie x 1
Wood Pigeon x 1

Why is it that when ever you are carrying out a survey all the birds become elusive, as normally my feeders are well visited.

DenBee

My count was way down on last year, the female sparrowhawk that decided to arrive and take a starling in the middle of it probably didn't help!

Huddersfield:

Blackbird 3
Blue Tit 5
Carrion Crow 3
Chaffinch 4
Coal Tit 1
Dunnock 3
Great Tit 2
Greenfinch 13
Jackdaw 10
Long Tailed Tit 2
Magpie 1
Robin 2
Woodpigeon 2
Siskin 6
Bullfinch 2
Jay 1
Blackcap 1

The Blackcap was a complete surprise! Not seen one here for a year.

Thanks for the reminder

Wow, that's a lot of visitors! I am so pleased you started early as I had forgotten the Big garden bird watch was this weekend. I have just made a sandwich and cuppa ready to start my count having put out extra food for them so it is going to be very interesting. Will keep you posted.
:flyaway:

Some survey stats

Hi,

I'm keeping an eye on the RSPB website over the weekend so can tell you you've collectively recorded over a million birds and 55,000 people have so far taken part. Not bad for a day and a half. It might interest BF members to hear that the Glamorgan Black-throated Thrush is included in the list of birds seen so far!

Keep the records coming.

Richard Bashford

Hi from Towcester. Time 10:40 - 11:40

Blackbird 8
Bluetit 1
Chaffinch 4
Collared dove 1
Dunnock 1
Goldfinch 1
Greenfinch 1
House Sparrow 12
Robin 1
Starling 22
Pied wagtail 1
Song Thrush 2

Coaltit not seen since bad weather. Hope he is ok.
Wren did'nt show
Had a good hour. Better than last year.

My count in rural Sussex, 19 species:

Blackbird 2
Blue tit 2
Chaffinch 1
Coal tit 1
Collared dove 3
Dunnock 3
Great tit 2
House sparrow 14
Magpie 4
Robin 2
Starling 3
Wood pigeon 4
Pied wagtail 1
GS woodpecker 1
Song thrush 1
Rook 4
Jackdaw 3
Fieldfare 3
Kestral 1

Birdwatch

Walsden, West Yorkshire

9.00 - 10.00 Saturday

5 chaffinch
2 collared doves
2 goldfinch
1 blackbird
1 robin
3 bluetit
1 great tit
1 magpie
3 greenfinch
2 carrion crows

Sandra

Watford: 2pm - 3pm.

Blackbird 3
Blackcap 1
Brambling 2
Blue Tit 6
Carrion Crow 1
Chaffinch 9
Coal Tit 1
Collared Dove 2
Dunnock 1
Goldcrest 1
Goldfinch 3
Great Tit 1
Greenfinch 6
House Sparrow 5
Jackdaw 3
Pied Wagtail 1
Sparrowhawk 1
Starling 5
Wren 1
Woodpigeon 3

I thought the birds did me proud this year, thouhg the cold bright weather helps.

Brambling were the highlight, had one for 2 weeks but another showed up when it counted. Sparrowhawk landing in cherry tree put a dent in things for 10 minutes or so.
Goldcrest on peanut feeder and Blackcap on seed feeder... what's the world coming to?

Lack of L-T Tit and no Robin, though I'm sure I could've found a Robin lurking somewhere in the garden. Goldfinch flock never appeared, just the 3.

G-S Woodpecker was 1/2 hr too early for the count, Fieldfare (courtesy of frosty morning and reliable stock of apples) was about 6hrs too early... obvioulsy goes back to its regular field when the ground thaws.

cheers,
Andy

My count was way down on previous years, Plenty of food has been available during the past few weeks, however few birds have come to feed. I have like many gardens a regular sparrowhawk visit, but this has been the norm overthe past three years. I just cannot explain where all the local common species have gone.

Rochdale, Lancashire 09:15-10:15 Sunday 29th

Temp range at time -0.7 ~ 1.2 Degrees C

Blackbird 9

Mistle Thrush 1

Goldfinch 4

Blue Tit 1

Great Tit 2

Robin 3

Coal Tit 1

Grey Wagtail 1

Chaffinch 2

Starling 25

Greenfinch 3

Dunnock 2

Wren 1

Collared Dove 2

Goldfinch 14
Greenfinch 1
Blue Tit 4
Blackbird 3
Chaffinch 2
Great Tit 3
Dunnock 2
Robin 2
Starling 1

Agree with the comment about why the birds are so elusive... must been in all the other gardens doing the count!

No Magpies or Collared Doves today, which can usually be relied upon, while recent Goldfinch counts have been in excess of 30, Greefinches 4, Blackbirds 4 and probably add at leats a couple to the others... oh and, 20-odd Starlings on occasion!

Recent Reed Bunting didn't show.

West Kent Bird Count

In my Westerham garden today during one hour were;

Blackbird X 2
Blue Tit X 2
Brambling X 4
Chaffinch X 16
Collared dove X 8
Dunnock X 1
Goldfinch X 12
Great tit X 1
Greenfinch X 4
House sparrow X 0 (!)
Long-tailed tit X 0
Magpie X 1
Robin X 2
Starling X 6
Siskin X 8
Wood pigeon X 0
Wren X 1

Coal tit and pied wagtail the only regulars not seen,

Rich

Berkshire Garden. 10.30-11.30, sunday 29th.

Blackbird x 2
Blue tit x 3
carrion crow x 3
chaffinch x 5
collard dove x 1
dunnock x 1
fieldfare x 1
goldcrest x1
goldfinch x 3
greenfinch x 4
great tit x 1
redpoll x 1
long-tailed tit x 4
magpie x 3
pied wagtail x 1
robin x 1
siskin x 2
starling x 4
woodpigeon x 3

It's really gone crazy this year. I was pleased with 14,000 forms yesterday but today, we've had another 45,000! That's 2 million bird records.

Best wishes

Richard Bashford

Newport, Shropshire Sunday 0820hrs - 0920hrs:

10 x Starlings
10 x House Sparrows
7 x Blackbirds
2 x Woodpigeon
1 x Magpie
1 x Blue Tit
1 x Wren
1 x Chaffinch
1 x Coal Tit
1 x Collared Dove
1 x Robin
1 x Dunnock
1 x Great Tit
1 x Jackdaw
1 x Goldcrest

Some excellent counts here. Puts mine to shame, but for the record (SE london/N Kent border):

4 starlings
3 House sparrows
3 wood pigeons
2 Blue tits
2 Great tits
1 Blackbird (f)

No sign of the regular robins or wren. Also, haven't seen any collared doves since a sparrowhawk made a visit (a first!) at the beginning of the year and birds of all species have been fewer except the starlings.

Still it's been a great year so far - I've had first time visits from a black cap, a chaffinch, the sparrowhawk and even a greater spotted woodpecker. I mustn't grumble!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back