Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk - last week July first week August

Old Thursday 6th July 2006, 19:41   #1
Gordon

Norfolk - last week July first week August

I've had a search through the forum for Norfolk info but didn't find anything really relating to this period.

As with most other people I'm well aware of the main coastal sites - and info re inland sites is easy enough to locate. What I'm really looking for is advice re visiting inland sites at these times. I appreciate other wildlfe and a good walk on its own in a good location I would consider worthwhile but advice re the birding inland would be MUCH appreciated.

We'll (wife and me) be camping at Burnham Deepdale for at least 7 nights from July 26th.

many thanks in advance
Gordon
Old Friday 7th July 2006, 14:51   #2
Liz Watson

Gordon,

Have you been to Weeting Heath near Brandon? Good for Stone Curlew and Woodlark.

Also the raptor watchpoint at Great Ryburgh for Honey Buzzard, Hobby etc is well worth a look.

Won't go into detail as you may already know of these, but let me know if you need any further info.

Good birding,

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
I've had a search through the forum for Norfolk info but didn't find anything really relating to this period.

As with most other people I'm well aware of the main coastal sites - and info re inland sites is easy enough to locate. What I'm really looking for is advice re visiting inland sites at these times. I appreciate other wildlfe and a good walk on its own in a good location I would consider worthwhile but advice re the birding inland would be MUCH appreciated.

We'll (wife and me) be camping at Burnham Deepdale for at least 7 nights from July 26th.

many thanks in advance
Gordon
Old Friday 7th July 2006, 15:39   #3
Karl J

wotcha gordy

sorry but not too sure what you're asking for there, but a wander round Strumpshaw / Buckenham, Wheatfen, or Upton Fen at this time of year (or, tbh, any time of year) is lovely. Depends how far inland you mean really.

rush Hill scrape near potter heigham should be worth a look by then too ...

and breydon Water / berney marshes - plenty of info lurking about somewhere on here i'm sure ... although i suppose they are more "coastal"

if you fancy branching out a little try a bike ride from Norwich to Loddon that goes through Whitlingham, Surlingham & Rockland ... c20 miles inland

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th July 2006, 19:51   #4
Gordon

Thanks for your comments.

Karl J - I was really just wondering if I had maybe left it a bit late for the inland "specialities". For instance, the Stone Curlews mentioned by Liz, or perhaps the Orioles etc.

Cheers
gordon
Old Friday 7th July 2006, 20:08   #5
Edward woodwood

HI Gordon

yes, it's a bit late for several species but there's a wealth of other stuff to look at - orchids, butterflies, dragonflies, flowers etc and some cracking inland nature reserves.

see here - click on the spots http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/norf...rves/index.htm

Tim
Old Friday 7th July 2006, 20:40   #6
Gordon

Cheers Tim

both myself and wife will be happy with that.
Gordon
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: