• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

black-hawk, Mexico, April 2007 (1 Viewer)

JanArras

Can anyone ID this black-hawk (Common or Great). The bird was seen in Veracruz near a small marsh.Picture taken from long distance.

Jan

JanArras said:
Can anyone ID this black-hawk (Common or Great). The bird was seen in Veracruz near a small marsh.Picture taken from long distance.

Jan

This time with photo.

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 126
Except for the lack of gray bands on the tail, it looks like a Zoned-tail Hawk. Very dark hawks, with yellow cere and small gray moon on cheek behind the cere. Could the tail be going down into the leaves?

Adult male Buteogallus anthracinus anthracinus for my vote. ;)

Note the yellow tones to the lores, black under the eye, leg feathers that are white tipped but not barred, as well as the very dark coloration as Lisa mentioned...

I tried to delete/edit my first post after I reread what JanArras had written, didn't pay close enough attention the first time. Agree with B Lagopus.

cjwolf said:
Good picture for the distance. Where in Veracruz was it?

I don't have a map here. We saw the bird where route 175 (to Oaxaca) leaves the coast, just before the toll bridge. In the very small pond also, White Ibis, Wood Stork, Snowy Egret, Great Egret, Solitary Santpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Northern Jacana, ...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back