• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple Sandpiper on the Texas coast (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
For the last few weeks our Texas RBA has been reporting a Purple Sandpiper wintering on the jetties adjacent to Quintana and Surfside Beaches, near Freeport/Lake Jackson. This is about 60 miles south of Houston, so we went down last weekend to see if we could find it and we did! It was very co-operative, allowing us to get lots of photos. I've put 4 of the best (actually taken by my husband, as he had the Oly C700 that morning!) on my website: http://helensbirds.homestead.com/purplesandpiper.html

but I'll attach one here, too.

Attachments

• p sandpiper4.jpg
    p sandpiper4.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 205
All lovely shots Helen. I saw them for the first time earlier this year at South Gare and a couple of times since at Hartlepool. They are quite nice looking for a sea bird.

Last edited:
Brian - I am 100% healed now and back to normal living. Spring has arrived here and the trees are full of singing birds. We also got great looks at both a Yellow-throated and a Black & White Warbler last weekend.

BTW, I'm not disclosing how we bribed that sandpiper - well, alright then - we promised to make him famous by sending his photo to the Texas Birds Record Committee to try and get him on our state list!

Ian - hope you are feeling OK after your surgery. This sighting of the P. Sandpiper was a lifer for us. It is rare down here and normally winters on the Atlantic coast of the US, as far south as N. Florida.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back